News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be the best launch title for the PS4, I think.

I thought it was planned to be released later, not as a launch title. The 3D support alone, and the renowned 3D capabilities of the game can sell some 3D TVs, which is a good thing.

Oooh thats cool. I loved trine 2.

That might be the best launch title for the PS4, I think.

I thought it was planned to be released later, not as a launch title. The 3D support alone, and the renowned 3D capabilities of the game can sell some 3D TVs, which is a good thing.

I prefer Resogun myself. It's free for PS+ members.

I totally forgot about 3D Trine. :)

Sony should showcase it in the PS4 demo-station.

BZCzxAgCcAAexp-.jpg:large

Amazing! I'll have to look at the Oxo tower tomorrow

So any news on the PS4's video support? Is it identical to PS3?

Also, is the DVD and video upscaling as good as it was on PS3 or have they removed that feature? (which was fantastic).

A Raspberry Pi can play all videos I downloaded from Digital Foundry, so that should not be a problem.

My 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a 2.6 Ghz i7 can stutter playing 1080p video so I think it's not exactly clear cut whether a bunch of Jaguar cores will be able to handle demanding h264 video playback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, is the DVD and video upscaling as good as it was on PS3 or have they removed that feature? (which was fantastic).

My 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a 2.6 Ghz i7 can stutter playing 1080p video so I think it's not exactly clear cut whether a bunch of Jaguar cores will be able to handle demanding h264 video playback.

H264 should be decoded by dedicated hardware on the PS4. It could well be utilizing Unified Video Decoder block found in GCN. edit: UVD is much older than GCN, tho it seems to have updates.

Even they were to use jaguar, a proper multithreaded decoder should have no problems decoding video using 8 cores.

PS3 should support more codecs (e.g., DivX, AVI).

Video decoding on PS4 is handled by the ACP and video decoder, not Jaguar.

1080p videos may be encoded in different profile and level. They will perform differently.

There seems to be absolutely no mention of playing videos from the HDD or from external USB drives in the user manual:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/index.html

And there doesn't seem to be any mention of DVD upscaling as an option under the Settings>Video Playback menu (unlike PS3) hmm...

These days, apps like Hulu Plus, Netflix and Vudu will stream 1080p videos directly.

H264 should be decoded by dedicated hardware on the PS4. It could well be utilizing Unified Video Decoder block found in GCN. edit: UVD is much older than GCN, tho it seems to have updates.

Even they were to use jaguar, a proper multithreaded decoder should have no problems decoding video using 8 cores.

The problem with dedicated decoding hardware is that it usually only supports main profile and not high profile with key h264 features like 8x8 DCT.

I also wonder if their hardware decoder can support as many reference frames as the PS3 did (11 refs for 720p video).

There are more than one modes in the GCN video decoder. I vaguely remember one of the more advanced modes allow the developer to use additional computing resources (GPU or CPU) to implement more sophisticated algorithms. At this point, someone in Sony (and MS) should be experimenting with H.265 already.

If they can play Blu-ray videos with the same decoders, the h/w should be capable of handling high profile videos.

They will eventually handle 3D Blu-ray as well, but not at launch.

Nah just 1 event and 1 launch time, but we have >1 time zones.

I don't know when the Spike TV event starts. Not going to watch it. :devilish:
Let me know what you hear. :)

Why would the west coast be delayed?

Boyes says he's catering the live events to satisfy what the current main interest is. Probably need more than an hour for that, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back