News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is 4.5GB minimally, 5.5GB max.

The rest takes up 2.5GB.

We actually don't exactly know how much the OS alone takes.

The article says 4.5 GB to 5.25 GB, not that it makes a difference. Just doesn't seem the game can get 100% of the 1GB that's "flexible".

This is a great story, because I love seeing the hardcore gamers face the crushing reality that you can no longer sell a streamlined game console to hardcore gamers and expect to run a profitable business. The pure game console is dead. It was dying last gen and now it's done. Gamers aren't as important as they think they are. We've had mobile phones with over 1GB of RAM for a while, and now they have 2GB. The reality is this consoles have to last for 5+ years, in which time they need to keep pace in terms of OS features with other smart devices (tablets, smartphones, media boxes, smart tvs).

Too early to tell. It is unclear what the final experience is. Watching movies, running apps don't necessarily consume 2.5GB RAM.

It is also possible that the platform holder has other unannounced gaming stuff in mind.

The article says 4.5 GB to 5.25 GB, not that it makes a difference. Just doesn't seem the game can get 100% of the 1GB that's "flexible".

The 5.25GB large memory mode is for debugging only.

It's 4.5GB standard, plus 1GB shared, and then 2.5 for the rest.

It's a smart move by Sony. This gen, IMO, they got smoked by MS in terms of software and services.

As I have stated multiple times, the next gen will be wall about software and service and if Sony screw themselves now by not allocating enough resources, they will get left behind. They don't want to take make that mistake again.

The hardcore gamer is an annoying noise maker that can easily be distracted by a pretty game or two.

Too early to tell. It is unclear what the final experience is. Watching movies, running apps don't necessarily consume 2.5GB RAM.

It is also possible that the platform holder has other unannounced gaming stuff in mind.

My guess is that a lot of that 2.5 GB is going to be sitting free, like it does on your phone, tablet. It'll just be there so that developers can make apps that would use it, and so you can cover running a number of apps at the same time without being hit by memory warnings. Some of it could be game-related features, like second screen functionality and things like that. Who knows.

In any case, it's clear that they know they need to chase more than pure gamers to keep their business viable. Sucks to be a hardcore gamer, and I'll happily watch them meltdown over this one.

Perhaps its a good idea to try and identify what these apps will be and who would actually develope them... The XB1 has a unified OS with the rest of their ecosystem so I am assuming it will run or at-least be able to port apps which are developed for the smart phone and PC but who is going to develop an app for the PS4? Realistically what are the odds of being able to monetize it? Not to mention that we really don't know how hard it will be to port so how much time will be invested. Its also probably fair to consider how much of a headache would be involved with keeping it stable with all the incremental OS updates that are likely occur if the PS3 is any sort of a guide......

Perhaps its a good idea to try and identify what these apps will be and who would actually develope them... The XB1 has a unified OS with the rest of their ecosystem so I am assuming it will run or at-least be able to port apps which are developed for the smart phone and PC but who is going to develop an app for the PS4? Realistically what are the odds of being able to monetize it? Not to mention that we really don't know how hard it will be to port so how much time will be invested. Its also probably fair to consider how much of a headache would be involved with keeping it stable with all the incremental OS updates that are likely occur if the PS3 is any sort of a guide......

Maybe they'll do what Blackberry did and make their OS capable of running Android apps by porting the Android VM. Who knows. There's really no way to speculate. Best you can do is look at what's available on tablets and assume you'll see the same things.

This is a great story, because I love seeing the hardcore gamers face the crushing reality that you can no longer sell a streamlined game console to hardcore gamers and expect to run a profitable business. The pure game console is dead. It was dying last gen and now it's done. Gamers aren't as important as they think they are. We've had mobile phones with over 1GB of RAM for a while, and now they have 2GB. The reality is this consoles have to last for 5+ years, in which time they need to keep pace in terms of OS features with other smart devices (tablets, smartphones, media boxes, smart tvs).

I had to log in to agree. I would not like for that much to be taken away but the world as is, is a totally different world from 2005/2006. We NEED these consoles to push these extra things. Phone do more than just phone-like things now. A 2013 smartphone is basically a computer that can field calls nowadays and it's been that way for some time. A console can not be seen as lesser than its electronic contemporaries. Apple and Google are competitors too. Microsoft nor Sony can afford to give ground.

My guess is that a lot of that 2.5 GB is going to be sitting free, like it does on your phone, tablet. It'll just be there so that developers can make apps that would use it, and so you can cover running a number of apps at the same time without being hit by memory warnings. Some of it could be game-related features, like second screen functionality and things like that. Who knows.

In any case, it's clear that they know they need to chase more than pure gamers to keep their business viable. Sucks to be a hardcore gamer, and I'll happily watch them meltdown over this one.

Second screen is Gaikai/RemotePlay for them, which is still gaming. Companion Vita/iOS apps have been done within PS3 budget. Media apps are lightweight and can instant stream.

MS need to reserve a large chunk for 2 OSes plus apps.
Unless Sony want to deploy the entire Android environment, they don't really need 2.5GB just to run other apps. The BSD apps should be as lightweight as the Vita or PS3 "skinny" apps.

It seems to me that Sony went with more RAM to stay with MS on OS features and applications, assuming they thought 4GB with simpler background features was enough for games pre-upgrade.

They'll perhaps need a little more space than MS initially.

Maybe they'll do what Blackberry did and make their OS capable of running Android apps by porting the Android VM. Who knows. There's really no way to speculate. Best you can do is look at what's available on tablets and assume you'll see the same things.

My tablet might not be representative as the only apps I use are:

browser
youtube
media player
netflix
pop email client

Again I really can't think of very many apps which I'd need/want to use from my couch, if I want to write an email I'd use my phone or laptop or it's short my tablet. Besides I would hope that the OS includes browser, media player, netflix and youtube. I honestly can't think of what other apps would be needed on a console besides perhaps a picture viewer.... Again maybe I'm not the typical profile in that regard....

Edit: now that I think about it Skype would be a good app to have

Second screen is Gaikai/RemotePlay for them, which is still gaming. Companion Vita/iOS apps have been done within PS3 budget. Media apps are lightweight and can instant stream.

MS need to reserve a large chunk for 2 OSes plus apps.
Unless Sony want to deploy the entire Android environment, they don't really need 2.5GB just to run other apps. The BSD apps should be as lightweight as the Vita or PS3 "skinny" apps.

Yes, Gaikai and RemotePlay will come out of that 2.5 GB, as well as any other media server functionality. Why would you assume apps will be as lightweight as Vita apps? It is a tiny device that you carry in your pocket that has limited battery life. The PS4 sits connected to your tv, is significantly more powerful and does not have battery life to worry about. Could not be expected that developers will attempt to significantly more than they would on a handheld? Maybe you don't want it to, but like I said, five to seven years from now this thing still has to be competitive. Maybe you'll be able to get 3ds Max for the thing. Who knows.

as a side note your post is a testament to how successful Mark Cerny's communication campaign is at least on the web, all of sudden the Xb1 is a complicated system to deal with.
That is imo a felony, it should be easier, significantly easier to work with than the 360, relative to the resolution the scatchpad is bigger than in the 360, it is accessible to the GPU and so on.
Then there is the API and the tools provided by MSFT.

Imo till we hear serious complains about xb1 it is safer to not byte to hard into Sony communication campaign, the PS4 is super straight forward, the most straigh forward console ever, but it says nothing about the competitor machine being a hell to code for.

I don't think it will take much more time, if at all, to port to Xb1. At worse Devs will make a non optimal use of the scratchpad.

A felony? We know Xbox One development is more complicated than 360 development simply because of memory management. The EDRAM in the 360 could only be used for certain things, so there weren't a lot of choices or management involved in exploiting the extra bandwidth. The ESRAM in the Xbox One is left to the programmer to decide how to use it, and it's up to them to design an optimal data flow. And since more than half your system bandwidth is locked up in that 32MBs devs will have to use it as much as they can.

It seems to me that Sony went with more RAM to stay with MS on OS features and applications, assuming they thought 4GB with simpler background features was enough for games pre-upgrade.

They'll perhaps need a little more space than MS initially.

They upgraded because developers feel that 4GB is insufficient.

Sony is unlikely to plan by second guessing MS' moves. Companies will tap on their strength instead.

Android is a possibility but it is a double-edge sword. Sony should prefer to push its own stack.

It will be interesting to see what Sony say. I believe they have scheduled a Gamescom press conference on 20th August.

Yes, Gaikai and RemotePlay will come out of that 2.5 GB, as well as any other media server functionality.

RemotePlay is Gaikai. ^_^
And it's still gaming, not "other apps".

Why would you assume apps will be as lightweight as Vita apps? It is a tiny device that you carry in your pocket that has limited battery life. The PS4 sits connected to your tv, is significantly more powerful and does not have battery life to worry about. Could not be expected that developers will attempt to significantly more than they would on a handheld? Maybe you don't want it to, but like I said, five to seven years from now this thing still has to be competitive. Maybe you'll be able to get 3ds Max for the thing. Who knows.

Vita and PS3 "skinny apps" are lightweight. NetFlix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube, and other media apps have been done on so many small TV devices, 'specially with h/w decoder.

RemotePlay is Gaikai. ^_^
And it's still gaming, not "other apps".

Vita and PS3 "skinny apps" are lightweight. NetFlix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube, and other media apps have been done on so many small TV devices, 'specially with h/w decoder.

What are you even arguing? I don't even disagree with you on any of this. Yes RemotePlay/Gaikai is for gaming and not "other apps" I never said they weren't? I just said they'd come out of the 2.5 GB. Yes, clients for Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Youtube etc can have small footprint clients. I never said they couldn't.

Let's follow some very obvious logic. They reserved 2.5 GB for the "OS", which I would safely assume is a lot of free memory for running OS apps. If, say, 1.5 to 2 GB of that is free memory waiting for apps to be loaded, they are obviously expecting someone to write apps that will use large amounts of memory, anywhere up to 2 GB. They didn't reserve that much memory for little apps like Netflix. So either they reserved 2.5 GB assuming the memory footprint for a Netflix client would suddenly skyrocket to over 1GB, or they want to provide developers with the capability of making large footprint apps, if they choose. Which is the obvious answer?

Yes but we will need memory to run the game. While PS4 is streaming a game, what happens if your wife/brother/mom start another PS4 app on the big screen TV ?
Why would they? they've got smartphones and tablets for that. As for these touch devices using lots of RAM, that's only to save load times. I have a 2 GB Galaxy note 10.1 and it has lots 'running', but I only use one app at a time. It just means when I fire up Photoshop, I don't have to wait ten seconds to use it if it's still present in RAM.

Sony are gonna have to do a lot of explainin' to convince me 3+GBs reserved RAM is actually of value to me. We're going to get the same experience as a 4GB VRAM PC GPU. The game-value of PS4 has taken a serious knock with this. Of course, if that OS reservation is including lots of core functionality like data caching and IO and camera functionality and whatnot, it may be justified, as it's, say, 6 GBs total used for the game to do its thing with 4.5 GBs game data and 1.5 GBs system maintenance stuff. If they're just offering another glorified smart devices with concurrent web-browsing and Twitter feeds as you game, I have zero interest, and I expect many core gamers will feel the same.

They upgraded because developers feel that 4GB is insufficient.

Sony is unlikely to plan by second guessing MS' moves. Companies will tap on their strength instead.

Android is a possibility but it is a double-edge sword. Sony should prefer to push its own stack.

It will be interesting to see what Sony say. I believe they have scheduled a Gamescom press conference on 20th August.

It's interesting that a game initially sees about the same RAM as it did when PS4 had 4GB, but now with an extra 1GB of flexible memory of limited use. If this is still true it suggests that other stuff was a major factor in the decision to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back