News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloading or even streaming 4k movies is a nonstarter.

Physical media, especially at the beginning when those movies are going to be priced at a premium so people will want the option to re-sell after watching.

Or on the low probability that Redbox carries those movies.

Of course, PS4 doesn't have the expansion to connect an external drive? Oddly, with HDMI in, X1 could probably offer playback of a 4k player.

But then at that point, why wouldn't you connect the player directly to the receiver or TV?

Physical media, especially at the beginning when those movies are going to be priced at a premium so people will want the option to re-sell after watching.

Of course, PS4 doesn't have the expansion to connect an external drive? Oddly, with HDMI in, X1 could probably offer playback of a 4k player.

But then at that point, why wouldn't you connect the player directly to the receiver or TV?

I don't see the reason you can't plug in USB hard drives into the USB3.0 ports. I'm pretty sure the way they access the USB hard drives will be similar to how PS3 works.

Nope. Hdmi spec now doesnt support the full 4k spec. Xbone hdmi in will be out dated by the time it launches.

Nope. Hdmi spec now doesnt support the full 4k spec. Xbone hdmi in will be out dated by the time it launches.

The only think that matters with 4K is movies, which current HDMI 1.4b spec handles fine at 24Hz. The issue is with games and typical UI which you expect to be either 30 or 60Hz which you need the I ratified HDMI 2.0 for.

The only think that matters with 4K is movies, which current HDMI 1.4b spec handles fine at 24Hz. The issue is with games and typical UI which you expect to be either 30 or 60Hz which you need the I ratified HDMI 2.0 for.

Thats not correct it can only support 8bit color at 4k at 24Hz. Hdmi 2.0 will support 12bit color.

That goes from 16 millon colors to 68 billion colors.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...d-beyond-rec-2020-glimpses-the-future-of-tvs/

Massive improvement.

This is coming out this year.

Thats not correct it can only support 8bit color at 4k at 24Hz. Hdmi 2.0 will support 12bit color.

That goes from 16 millon colors to 68 billion colors.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...d-beyond-rec-2020-glimpses-the-future-of-tvs/

Massive improvement.

This is coming out this year.
Well I wonder, more colors is nice but I guess everybody would chose higher/better luminosity and contrast. It is a bit like when nAo used to explain us about its LogluV aprroach and how eyes are way more sensitive to the luminance than to the color.

It is an advancement but really incremental and as for realtime graphics I think they are hitting dimishing returns. At this point I think a real neat improvement would be if your screen can get close to blinding bright and could make your room darker. I really that the same logic applies as with logluv applies to the real world, LIGHT, it is about light (and its elusive counter part shadows).

I think the next generation will have a huge leap in graphics. Obviously the first batch of games will only feel like a small leap but it’s the next batch that I am excited for because there is a ton of power under the hoods of the next-gen machines and once we really start using that things are going to look very different.

Lol, that's kind of hilarious. Those 2D games really pushed the hardware ... ;) And even in 2D, I think just one of their games actually looked not ugly :D

@Davros

The £55 price is placeholder almost certainly.
At Gamescom they will announce the official £/€ prices.

@DJ12
Yeah.
R&C went south for me long ago IMO so I would prefer a new IP.

How much were they for PS3 and 360 in the UK?

$80 games will make these consoles fail. As it is, even at $60, these consoles will struggle to reach the installed base of this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back