New wheels time

Neeyik

Homo ergaster
Veteran
Old age and an old bike accident = bad back, dodgy knee, etc etc = no more sporty biking! So today I bought myself this hulking monster:

Africatwinintro.gif

Varoom! Geddaoutamaway!

So your getting old, you have a bad back, and a dodgy knee..... and still bought a bike? :p

Heh - I've had a bike for years now but always, without fail, a sports or sporty one. Since my Schwantz-wannabe days are now long behind me and all I use a bike for is commuting, it made sense to go with something more suitable.

I hate you all, I'm not allowed to get a motorcycle. :(

Ha ha ha. My wife says I can have a Harley anytime I want one! I'm just not allowed to take it out of the driveway. :smile: It's a decent length driveway, but still haven't taken her up on that yet.

Nick, I'm afraid to know what the "sporty" one looked like, if that's the "comfy" version!

Bike history in pics (although only the first is one of my own)....

Sporty (Suzuki SV650S)
bike_s.jpg

Sporty (Honda CBR600)
88CBR600.jpg

Sporty (Honda CBR750)
2880318c.jpg

Sports (Yamaha FZR600)
54-55-1.jpg

Sports (Suzuki RGV250)
rgv250.jpg

First ever!
576to93.jpg

Trail-type bikes don't need wide, low-profile tyres like a sports bike does (and even then, most are bigger than they need to be - fashion often dictates what sizes one can see); they need narrow widths with a high sidewall to help strengthen the tyre and absorb bumps more.

That said, not all road-biased 'trail' bikes to have such a tyre setup. The Japanese manufacturers tend to favour a slightly more 'normal' bike arrangement, as this offers a greater choice of tyres.

Regardless of the rider, the bike was never really going to win anyway. Ariel Atom = ~300bhp, ~500kg (0.6bhp/kg), 4 large contact points. CBR600RR = ~115bhp, ~165kg (0.7bhp/kg), 2 rather small contact points. Such a car will stuff a road bike on braking and cornering every time - that said though, a decent rider on a GSXR1000 K5 'worth' £20k would make it a considerably more interesting test.

Regardless of the rider, the bike was never really going to win anyway. Ariel Atom = ~300bhp, ~500kg (0.6bhp/kg), 4 large contact points. CBR600RR = ~115bhp, ~165kg (0.7bhp/kg), 2 rather small contact points. Such a car will stuff a road bike on braking and cornering every time - that said though, a decent rider on a GSXR1000 K5 'worth' £20k would make it a considerably more interesting test.

Yes that's true. The result in that test was not the thing that bugged, me the execution of the test was. Still it didn't made me grinch like their previous car vs Bike test, which had 911 Carrera 4 against Yamaha R1. The end straight was pretty long and the two exited the last corner with the Porsche leading by a a few meters, but somehow the R1 wasn't able to overtake it on the straight...

Back