New Warhawk news and video!

Found this quote over @ GAF.

Dunno if it was ever mentioned, but Warhwak will have a completely seamless world, where you can fly and lend wherever you want from the beginning of the game, and also pick up available missions in any order you want and sometimes be able to do them from air or from ground, also using ground vehicles or on foot. It sounds very GTA-ish in terms of freedom that it allows.

There's going to be your capitol city with miles tall skyscrapers, and also varied environments like mountains, swamps, countrysides, islands, etc.

32 player multiplayer takes place in the same world, and again, anyone can jump into ground vehicles, or fly above and help the ground troops, etc.

- Another factoid I remember is that there can be up to around 800 enemies (the number of enemy swarms increases towards the end of the game) on the screen you are fighting against, and the game is supposed to be rock solid 60FPS.

- One SPU is running a wave simulation for water, another is rendering clouds using software raytracer, and then they are overlayed on the rest of the scene rendered by RSX, so clouds in particular are rendered in the same way CGI movie effects are done.

And here's a new video of someone playing Warhawk with the motion turned on. Notice how he can fly the warhawk easily with only hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOk3rIAkdCY&search=Warhawk

sonyps35 said:
Afterburner 2010! :LOL:

Who would want to play with one hand?

The point is some people looked at the guy on stage at E3 and assumed it would be hard as hell to control.

Looking at the demo on youtube this proves to be completely incorrect. So all those people saying that their arms would get tired and fall off can just be quiet now.;)

Awesome!

I thought though they were going to include on foot missions as well. Remember the soldiers at E3 2005?

More E3 footage... Actually anybody who was there could play it with the motion controller. I played it for like 15min before I got irritated with the reporter standing behind me who kept elboing me asside to get a better camera angle...

One thing I did notice is that some people had a tendency to try to over control it, flailing all over (I noticed the same thing in the Wii booth, which made me wonder how tired people are going to get playing Wii games). It doesn't require that much input to maneuver, and it's pretty responsive. The more you over control it, the more goofy and awkward you look and the more you end up fighting the controller...

so lemme get this straight.
-same team who made orginal warhawk, and alot more.
-720p
-32 online multiplayer or splitscreen mp
-up to 800 planes at once
-60fps
-plane flying
-tank/jeep driving
-6-axis controller support
-soldier running
-seamless worlds (hundreds of sq miles)
-amazing looking water + clouds
-4xAA
-downloadable content

sounds good to me. :D

Bad_Boy said:
so lemme get this straight.
-same team who made orginal warhawk, and alot more.
-720p
-32 online multiplayer or splitscreen mp
-up to 800 planes at once
-60fps
-plane flying
-tank/jeep driving
-6-axis controller support
-soldier running
-seamless worlds (hundreds of sq miles)
-amazing looking water + clouds
-4xAA
-downloadable content

sounds good to me. :D

There are on foot sections afterall? :oops:

GREAT :D

Nesh said:
There are on foot sections afterall? :oops:

GREAT :D
yep, there are some videos of the main character (the warhawk pilot) running around with a bazooka and a rifle shooting people up. I'm not going to get my expectations up for the ground combat gameplay, it seems very sandbox GTA-ish from the videos. (no real specific objective or story to them) It's the warhawk flying I'm more excited about. :)

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/GMID-004/Site/
Check the videos in the "behind the scenes" section
the "MULTI-MODAL" video specifically.

Looks OK. The models, shading, particle effects, physics, and lighting are decent at best. They need better artists... looks alot like crackdown to me... the water and clouds are fabulous however.

Bad_Boy said:
yep, there are some videos of the main character (the warhawk pilot) running around with a bazooka and a rifle shooting people up. I'm not going to get my expectations up for the ground combat gameplay, it seems very sandbox GTA-ish from the videos. (no real specific objective or story to them) It's the warhawk flying I'm more excited about. :)

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/GMID-004/Site/
Check the videos in the "behind the scenes" section
the "MULTI-MODAL" video specifically.
Hey thanks :D

mckmas8808 said:
The on foot stuff needs ALOT of work. I hope they can bang it out in time.

Hopefully they study and play some of Factor5's games, note how they incorperated ground missions into their games, and then do the OPPOSITE! Ditto Namco's Star Fox game. Bad land missions = good way to destroy a game like this.

Other than that the game is looking like a really solid shooter. I look forward to seeing more of the gameplay, diversity, and action in the later parts of the game.

From watching the interviews/behind the scenes stuff, It doesnt really seem like the ground missions really make the story party of the game progress that much. Atleast thats what I get the feeling of when they say stuff like "you can play a hour of ground missions, say ok, i've had enough, ive proven im a badass, then go back to the warhawk flying to keep the story going" (not an exact quote, but something like that, feel free to type a transcript for me lol)

It just feels like it's a added feature or a bonus to add some gameplay diversity to the entire picture which is Warhawk, an air-combat game. So like I said, I'm not going to get my hopes up for the ground stuff, but I am definately excited about the air combat. :D

Acert93 said:
Hopefully they study and play some of Factor5's games, note how they incorperated ground missions into their games, and then do the OPPOSITE! Ditto Namco's Star Fox game. Bad land missions = good way to destroy a game like this.

Other than that the game is looking like a really solid shooter. I look forward to seeing more of the gameplay, diversity, and action in the later parts of the game.

Yeah the way I heard it the ground parts are competley optional. Sandbox style. You really don't have to do it. And I tell you, if it doesn't improve I will never land my plane ever.

The animation is horrible, the physics are horrible, the collision detection is horrible, the havok deaths (if they are even havok) are horrible, the art of stuff on the ground is horrible. I could go on and on.

But in the air and over the water this game is a beast.

So it's kinda like Star Wars Battlefronts 2 but back to front, with more emphasis on the flying combat and less on the soldier combat, but it's in there as a diversion?

As for multiplayer, I'm not sure I'll be that keen. In SW:B it's hard to meet up with a friend on the battlerfield and get to work together. Basically you play two independant games that happen to be in the same warzone. I'd rather have coop where you're working together and feel so much. If there's hundreds of AI fighters, whether you're friend is there in support or not isn't probably going to make a great deal of difference. I mean, it sound like this game will allow you to take a plane at one end of the world, and a friend a tank at the other end, and really, what's the point of playing coop/multiplayer in those situations?! May as well play two different solo games and just keep a running tab on who shot down the most baddies.

archie4oz said:
One thing I did notice is that some people had a tendency to try to over control it, flailing all over. It doesn't require that much input to maneuver, and it's pretty responsive. The more you over control it, the more goofy and awkward you look and the more you end up fighting the controller...
The motion control looks very good, but i can see why people flail it all over the place. If they feel like they're holding the plane, tilting the control in their mind corresponds to tilting the plane that amount, but of course the plane has a maximum turn speed and will take time to reach the users input angle, who responds by tipping the controller more to try invoke a faster response. I don't think there's any solution, but as long as the players are happy I guess it doesn't matter.

I had some doubts about the controls and the motion sensing, but it looks very accurate! Not sure why the guy was playing with one hand only though...

Shifty Geezer said:
The motion control looks very good, but i can see why people flail it all over the place. If they feel like they're holding the plane, tilting the control in their mind corresponds to tilting the plane that amount, but of course the plane has a maximum turn speed and will take time to reach the users input angle, who responds by tipping the controller more to try invoke a faster response. I don't think there's any solution, but as long as the players are happy I guess it doesn't matter.

I doubt it will be much different in that respect with people who play a driving game for the first time ending up slalomming because they keep overcompensating their steering errors. You only need to get the hang of it once, and I think comparatively this will actually be much easier to pick up.

london-boy said:
I had some doubts about the controls and the motion sensing, but it looks very accurate! Not sure why the guy was playing with one hand only though...

The one hand thing was more about showing how easily/effortlessly it is to fly the plane with the motion sensing tech.

Back