New technical info on the PS3 version of Oblivion

PSman

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122148

Aside from this new content, you might be wondering if the PS3 version of Oblivion sports any technical improvements over the 360 version.

The answer: sort of. "It has a lot of technical niceties," Howard says, "just [as a result of] the development time. One of the things that always bothered us was how the distant landscape looked. You'd get this very perceptible line of where stuff is loaded and where it's not loaded, and then it pops in. On the PS3, it's a lot more seamless. We did some new shaders for how it takes information from the background to the foreground and blends all that together. It's a slightly cleaner image." The results are subtle, but noticeable.

But what about more sweeping changes to things like animation, textures, or basic gameplay?

Turns out, the team wasn't interested in rebuilding the game from the ground up. "That's the game we want to have out there," Howard says emphatically. "It's Oblivion. It's Oblivion on the PC, it's Oblivion on the 360, it's Oblivion on the PS3. Even if we had the ability to, for instance, redo all the art, I wouldn't want to do that. That's Oblivion; that's the art; that's how it looks."

Not a whole lot, but it seem like the PS3 version is getting some upgrade (technically). Some is better than none:smile:

And sorry if this is old

I'm glad the developers stated this was due to more development time. Otherwise this would have been a much hotter topic. ;)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p1.html

Very little new info, and what is there is probably as interesting to 360 and PC owners (i.e. the implication that the Knights of the Nine will become available to them also) as for PS3 owners. But it does state that the PS3 HDD will be used similarly to how the 360 HDD is used when present. Other than that, they seem to indicate more use of shaders, most prominently the one we already know for smooth transitions between near and far, but apparently there are a few more subtle additions ... but none of these are detailed, so that doesn't tell us much.

IGN: Are you pleased with how the downloadable content has faired on the X360? Are there any signs that the PS3 version will perform in a similar way?

Howard: It's done very, very well for us on X360. It is our hope we can do it again on PS3.
... Because we don't want to just roll in the PC/360 dough!:devilish: (It should be noted that I have, of course, bought most/all of the DLC available thus far...)

IGN: How awesome does the Unicorn look on PS3?

Howard: The unicorn has been our primary focus since day one. Everything else is secondary to us.
Thank God!

Nevertheless, I'm gonna boot up Oblivion, see if I can play through until it feels somewhat worth playing again.

Will the PS3 version of Oblivion use HDR like the 360 version? From the screens it doesn't seem so, and I know that ps3 cannot do HDR+AA. Maybe they have developed a shader emulation like the NAO32?

If the HDR does get implemented in the PS3 version wont it be higher quality then 360's?, FP10 vs FP16? What HDR quality does the PC version use?

Disclamer : Im not starting a war, could PS3 use FP10 aswel? thus saving bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the PS3 version of Oblivion use HDR like the 360 version? From the screens it doesn't seem so, and I know that ps3 cannot do HDR+AA. Maybe they have developed a shader emulation like the NAO32?
huh, the rsx certainly can do HDR + AA

All signs point to this being false. It, like NV40, cannot do FP16 + AA at the same time.

I am only speculating, but I expect that hurdle to be bypassed sooner or later. Remember the PS2's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer? It is completely obsolete by today's PC standards, but it emulated artificial HDR as seen on Shadow of the Colossus and Vertex Shading on God of War, effects that no one imagined the PS2 can do.

With CELL and RSX, plus 16 times more RAM than the PS2, I will go crazy and assume artificial HDR+AA (which will look good nonetheless) can be pulled off with the PS3. I will even go crazier and go as far to say that the actual peak of the PS3 6 years from now will be able to emulate DirectX11 effects. But that's just me...

:LOL:

I am only speculating, but I expect that hurdle to be bypassed sooner or later. Remember the PS2's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer? It is completely obsolete by today's PC standards, but it emulated artificial HDR as seen on Shadow of the Colossus and Vertex Shading on God of War, effects that no one imagined the PS2 can do.

It is already bypassed in Heavenly Sword.

I'm still hoping that they include higher-res textures on the disc, similar to that pack that was released for PC. There's a lot of cacheing space available on PS3 (more than you might expect), so they could keep it nice and handy for some of the closer-up view where they might have some spare texture memory. That wouldn't need a 'redoing of all of the art', since those assets already exist. Of course, that's all just hope so it won't actually happen or anything :)

Babcat posted this link in another thread, which is probably more interesting here than anywhere else right now. It has more detailed info on the engine that Oblivion runs on, Gamebryo, and its PS3 implementation:

http://www.ps3land.com/article-839.php

Back