New Steam survey results

Don't forget that the GTX570 came several weeks later than the GTX580! So At the end of January the results will be more representative regarding that.

Ah that's right, I'd forgotten about that. I wonder if it might be that yields for GTX 5xx, Radeon 68xx and Radeon 69xx are all better than expected.

After all we have AMD moving more allocation from 6950 to 6970 prior to launch. GTX 570 launching almost a month later than GTX 580. And 6870 having ~2.4x more Dx11 share as 6850.

I still find ferro's comparison above completely nonsensical. In the time since GF110 and Barts launched, Barts has moved over 3x as many cards. Yet a nice bit of cherry picking allows him to try to imply that GF110 is moving more product. :D

Regards,
SB

Ah that's right, I'd forgotten about that. I wonder if it might be that yields for GTX 5xx, Radeon 68xx and Radeon 69xx are all better than expected.

After all we have AMD moving more allocation from 6950 to 6970 prior to launch. GTX 570 launching almost a month later than GTX 580. And 6870 having ~2.4x more Dx11 share as 6850.

For Germany i would say GTX570 sells very well and far better than HD6970. GTX580 sells well too and also HD6050.

I still find ferro's comparison above completely nonsensical. In the time since GF110 and Barts launched, Barts has moved over 3x as many cards. Yet a nice bit of cherry picking allows him to try to imply that GF110 is moving more product. :D

Regards,
SB

Well i would not compare Barts and GF110. Completely different market segments. But in general Barts is not selling very well. I think people that prefer AMD products rather try to get a HD5870 or 5850 and a lot of others buy a GTX460. Looking at the steam statistics Barts is rather disappointing but i was expecting that because in the end the customer does not care how much AMD is saving compared to previous products when looking at the DIE size. Performance, Quality and Price is what matters and in that regard GTX460 and also the EOL stock of the GTX470 really rock!

Ouch! I just thought these were 2 remarkable numbers. A low-volume €500 card gets surveyed more on Steam than a high-volume €170 card that has been longer on the market. Both cards are primarily used for games, so the numbers seem comparable to me.

Ouch! I just thought these were 2 remarkable numbers. A low-volume €500 card gets surveyed more on Steam than a high-volume €170 card that has been longer on the market. Both cards are primarily used for games, so the numbers seem comparable to me.

It's interetsing in that brings to light a couple note worthy data points.

Reminding us that GTX 570 launched a month later, indicating that yields for GF110 were probably good enough they didn't want to sacrifice too many GTX 580 capable cores in order to manufacture enough GTX 570 cards for launch.

But still showing that with its large die they are quite limited in how many cards they can produce.

And also bringing to light that 6870 is selling almost 2.4x as much as 6850. Here it's hard to tell whether it's due to good yields on 6870 and thus more allocation going there, or people just aren't interested in 6850 at its price point.

As a comparison between GTX 580 and 6850 though? As the saying goes, that's like comparing apples and oranges.

Regards,
SB

I stopped submitting my results when I actually looked at what is submitted.

They are taking a lot more than just hardware details, bunch of stuff that has no bearing on what this is supposed to be about ie finding out what hardware people have so that Valve can target games at hardware levels.

Looking at the latest numbers it appears XP had another substantial drop again, so I guess that means the lower decline rate was a holiday season effect.

The various AMD card families (4800, 5700, 5800) are now properly split into specific cards. We can now see that the HD 5770 is by far the most popular DX11 card on Steam.

The various AMD card families (4800, 5700, 5800) are now properly split into specific cards. We can now see that the HD 5770 is by far the most popular DX11 card on Steam.

Now if only we would get them to do the same for nV cards, like 8800/9800 in which all models (which don't even all use the same chip) are under same name

Well, there goes AMD CPU share dropping again. Guessing there were more sales on AMD systems in December and now it's going back to the downward trend.

Again nice drops in all 32 bit OSes and nice upticks for all 64 bit OSes almost 2% increase for Win7 64 bit and Vista 64 bit. Very cool.

And yes, nice to see the breakdown of the AMD "series" groups. And unfortunate we don't see a breakdown as mentioned of the past Nvidia "series" groups, but it's doubtful we'll ever see that for GT/GTS/GTX/TI/WHATEVER suffixes. Shouldn't be a problem going forward though. Well except with Nvidia doing a GTX 560 and GTX 560 TI? Hopefully those don't get grouped together, but they probably will.

Breaking down the AMD GPUs makes the GTX 460 look at a lot better in the DX11 only chart. Although again we have a combining of products 460/768 and 460/1G. Would be interesting to see a breakdown of those, but doubt Steam has a way to do it.

Nice first month showing for GTX 570. Better than the 69xx's although the GTX 570 did have approximately one more week's worth of sales.

System RAM slowly shifting to 4+ GB.

1 GB video RAM surpassed 512 MB video RAM.

Interesting almost 5% (at least as 24.2% is "other") of multi-monitor setups are a 2x2 configuration. I'm guessing many of those might be Mac production systems (5120x2880 would be a 2x2 of 2560x1440 which I think only Apple makes a monitor at that resolution).

I'm surprised to see more Russian users than German users considering how much Germans love PC gaming. Although I suppose respective population size of the countries might have something to do with that. :D

I wonder if the Chinese numbers are just for Taiwan or for Taiwan + China. If just for Taiwan that would be pretty impressive as that would put them (23 million pop) ahead of Japan (127 million pop) and Korea (48.2 million pop). Especially impressive versus Korea which has a reputation for universal fast broadband and an almost unquenchable appetite for MMOs and PC games (especially Starcraft). Of course with Blizzard being the most popular and not being on Steam, that might have something to do with it.

If it's for China + Taiwan, however, that's really unimpressive, and probably due to the Chinese preferring pirated software (street shops and whatever on burned DVDs or internet).

Heck, Japan ahead of Korea somewhat surprises me.

Regards,
SB

I wonder if the Chinese numbers are just for Taiwan or for Taiwan + China. If just for Taiwan that would be pretty impressive as that would put them (23 million pop) ahead of Japan (127 million pop) and Korea (48.2 million pop). Especially impressive versus Korea which has a reputation for universal fast broadband and an almost unquenchable appetite for MMOs and PC games (especially Starcraft). Of course with Blizzard being the most popular and not being on Steam, that might have something to do with it.

If it's for China + Taiwan, however, that's really unimpressive, and probably due to the Chinese preferring pirated software (street shops and whatever on burned DVDs or internet).

Heck, Japan ahead of Korea somewhat surprises me.

Do you mean the Language statistics? Basically Traditional Chinese should cover both Taiwan and Hong Kong (and Macau and maybe some people in Singapore). People in China generally use Simplified Chinese version. The reason why the percentage of Simplified Chinese version is much smaller is probably because that many Chinese people don't have a credit card and it's sometimes difficult for them to buy from foreign digital stores.

I'm surprised to see more Russian users than German users considering how much Germans love PC gaming. Although I suppose respective population size of the countries might have something to do with that. :D

I believe PC gaming is quite popular in Russia too.

Do you mean the Language statistics? Basically Traditional Chinese should cover both Taiwan and Hong Kong (and Macau and maybe some people in Singapore). People in China generally use Simplified Chinese version. The reason why the percentage of Simplified Chinese version is much smaller is probably because that many Chinese people don't have a credit card and it's sometimes difficult for them to buy from foreign digital stores.

Ah, that's true, and I have to keep remembering that the majority of Chinese are probably still pretty poor.

Regards,
SB

Singapore's all simplified, but the younger generation is all English anyway.
It's just Valve not reaching out to the mainland chinese; e-payment is huge in china's own taobao/alipay network.

Back