New Steam survey results

Oh crap I didn't notice that. So right now Windows XP (32 + 64bit) is at ~27%. Surely the vast majority of Vista+ machines have DX10+ hardware, [strike]so we can estimate that ~65-70% of systems are DX10+ capable at this point.[/strike]

Whoops I didn't account for MacOS. Vista and 7 are on 67.84% of machines as of October.

Cool, I didn't know you upgraded sorry. Since you're running Vista, you might as well go 7 now.

Dual boot FTW ;)
and
Might as well after all it is incredibly cheap :(

I actually got vista because someone bought a pc with xp and a free vista when its released voucher, when vista was released I installed it for them. A few weeks later they phoned my up and asked my to take it off and put xp back on. Instead of payment I asked if I could have the vista disc.

Dual boot FTW ;)
and
Might as well after all it is incredibly cheap :(

I actually got vista because someone bought a pc with xp and a free vista when its released voucher, when vista was released I installed it for them. A few weeks later they phoned my up and asked my to take it off and put xp back on. Instead of payment I asked if I could have the vista disc.

You paid them to work on their computer? :-/

Over 60% of systems are DX10+ compliant, as Windows XP incurs a massive 5.17% :!: drop. At that rate DX9 will be entirely irrelevant in just a few short months.

Depends on your target demographic.
Windows XP falls under 60%. And those 59.1% are still in percentage of web use, and I would suspect that Vista/7 users are disproportionately more active. So if you target the Sims audience, or WoW or Diablo audience et cetera, you might do well not to ignore XP users for a long time to come.

Then again, for other types of games, this is not the case. YMMV obviously.

So if you target the Sims audience, or WoW or Diablo audience et cetera, you might do well not to ignore XP users for a long time to come.

Then again, for other types of games, this is not the case. YMMV obviously.

Casual games like The Sims are in a different class for a different audience.
Point is, there will be little benefit in releasing a AAA PC title or console port with DX9 support moving forward. And that is good since devs can build their engines with DX10 as a baseline.

Casual games like The Sims are in a different class for a different audience.
Point is, there will be little benefit in releasing a AAA PC title or console port with DX9 support moving forward. And that is good since devs can build their engines with DX10 as a baseline.

Agree halfway - console ports actually have little reason not to extend from DX9 since that's roughly the level they are developed at anyway, so there is no reason to exclude that part of the PC market. For as long as the current generation of consoles are, um, current. Since these forums are populated by hardware enthusiasts, it's small wonder that many are frustrated with the fact that their early adoption of features rarely pays off during the useful lifetime of the products. DX10 being a Vista exclusive didn't help matters. But from this point in time and out, console ports may well be as large a factor as to why DX9 is the baseline, as installed base of DX9 systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they actually spend some time on the PC port instead of doing Win32 recompile GTAIV style, they can use DX10 as a baseline. Just Cause 2 for example found success on the PC as a DX10 only title back in March.

If they actually spend some time on the PC port instead of doing Win32 recompile GTAIV style, they can use DX10 as a baseline. Just Cause 2 for example found success on the PC as a DX10 only title back in March.
Yeah JC2's PC SKU was arguably the best - a large amount of kudos goes to Humus on that I imagine :)

Yeah JC2's PC SKU was arguably the best - a large amount of kudos goes to Humus on that I imagine :)

Considering he was chilling on the forums with us, taking suggestions, that is an understatement. ;)

Humus should work for every developer. :D I suppose there's only one of him though, huh? :(

Yeah, maybe JC3 will have DirectCompute water then...

OpenGL + OpenCL? :oops: I'll be daamned! :devilish: I enjoy his OpenGL-entries a lot ... Employer probably not so. Wouldn't Darksider have been the perfect canditate, being about hell and freezing and all ...

Back