New Steam survey results

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Steam December results, most notable change? 6870&6850 are listed as separate products instead of 6800 series.

And if we look at this in say, 3 weeks from now, the Nov numbers are again completely different.
I don't know who runs this stuff at Steam/Valve, but she/he obviously has no clue on how statistics are supposed to work.
November statistics can't change during December - if you don't have all the required data compiled now, you release the results when you do - you don't release them first and correct them later.

And if we look at this in say, 3 weeks from now, the Nov numbers are again completely different.
I don't know who runs this stuff at Steam/Valve, but she/he obviously has no clue on how statistics are supposed to work.
November statistics can't change during December - if you don't have all the required data compiled now, you release the results when you do - you don't release them first and correct them later.

As far as I can tell they haven't changed, not since December 2~3, anyway.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Steam December results, most notable change? 6870&6850 are listed as separate products instead of 6800 series.

NIce change. Amusing that they even bother to display results for systems with less than 0.01%.

Also nice to see all 64 bit version of windows going up while all 32 bit versions decline.

So, ~62% are Dx10+ capable. While ~33% are Dx9. And ~5% hanging onto Dx8. :p

AMD continues to bleed CPU share.

And more oddities. We have both ATI Mobility 5800 series and ATI Mobility 5870 in single card tracking.

And less than 5% of systems on Steam run MacOS. So it's actually slightly more profitable to target Dx8 than it would be to target MacOS. :D

Heh, 29.41% of steam users have uTorrent running.

Regards,
SB

I think that depends on the base price (x50) and price differential (x70). Some may have viewed the performance increase for slightly more cost a major benefit.

I've noticed that the decline of WinXP has flattened substantially the last few months. Do you guys think this is a temporal change (people not upgrading because they are hoping for a new computer for xmas) or are we approaching the time when everyone who wanted to upgrade has already done so leading to slow transition to Vista/Win7 from now on?

Latest monthly declines of XP:
3.91%
1.37%
1.13%
1.00%

I hope the flattened decline is due more to the holiday seasons. The sooner the transition from Win XP the better for the PC gaming industry.

I've noticed that the decline of WinXP has flattened substantially the last few months. Do you guys think this is a temporal change (people not upgrading because they are hoping for a new computer for xmas) or are we approaching the time when everyone who wanted to upgrade has already done so leading to slow transition to Vista/Win7 from now on?

Latest monthly declines of XP:
3.91%
1.37%
1.13%
1.00%

I just saw an article on this.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/01/03/2329247/Windows-7-Trumps-Vista-By-Reaching-20-Share

Among the editions Microsoft still supports, Windows XP fell the farthest during December, losing 1.2 points to end the year with a 56.7% share.
Meh, statistics. :) It's possible that the number of XP users now has a higher % of diehards. It's not like they are in an untenable position. Tons of games to play and more every month that work well with their hardware.

Though if this becomes a trend then it could cause some gamers to upgrade earlier than they planned.

My guess is XP got a bit of an artificial boost lately from the original line of netbooks that all shipped with XP. Win7 "starter" will change that but there's probably a batch in there that had XP. Of course there's probably not a ton of netbooks that install steam, but maybe enough to at least offset the decline a bit.

If that's the case, then we may not see a significant change until Windows 8. Windows 8 will be targetting everything from smartphones to servers and will include ARM processors (which should help Nvidia immensely if they can make a compelling ARM CPU). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Steam has a significant presence of netbooks. After all many of the games on Steam are Popcap style low resource games.

Regards,
SB

Now for more general observations.

Yay for AMD CPU's they finally stopped losing share. :)

Once again all 32-bit versions of Windows declined while all 64 bit version of Windows (Except Server 2003) increased. I can't believe anyone would willingly subject themselves to the pain that is XP 64, however. :)

GTX 5xx and Radeon 6xxx series haven't cracked even a sixth (0.16%) of a percent of all video cards. Neither seems to be having nearly as much of an impact as 58xx series did. In fact the 4800 series gained more that month than GTX 580 and 570 combined. 5800 series increased total GPU share by well over triple GTX 570/580 combined.

I'm surprised with some of the results. GTX 580 doing better than GTX 570. Radeon 6870 doing better than Radeon 6850. Hell GTX 570 making less than 0.15% of DX11 only sales makes it completely irrelevant in total GPU sales. I was expecting GTX 570 to do quite a bit better.

Still surprised at how many are still at 1280x1024 (5:4 res) and 1024x768 (4:3) res. Both of which are 4:3. Heck almost 25% of Steam users surveyed are gaming at a 4:3 or 5:4 res still.

At least 63% of Steam users are at 2 Mbps or less. It could be a lot more depending on what comprises the "Unspecified" group. Amazing how many people on this board believe most gamers have 5-10 Mbps or higher.

Surprised that almost 16% of users have 5 GB or more of memory. 27.16% having 3 GB of memory makes me think there's a LOT of notebook users since that's a fairly common memory config for notebooks now days.

Regards,
SB

Doesn't that strike you as odd? Don't xx50 cards usually sell in higher volumes than their xx70 counterparts?

Usually although there are exceptions and this looks like an exception. My guess at the moment is that the 6870 would be more popular amongst enthusiasts who represent a large proportion of the early adopters. In a month the price/performance ratio of the 50 will probably see it start to pull in front.

Still surprised at how many are still at 1280x1024 (5:4 res) and 1024x768 (4:3) res. Both of which are 4:3. Heck almost 25% of Steam users surveyed are gaming at a 4:3 or 5:4 res still.
lots of people who still play CounterStrike (pre-SOURCE version), on hardware from the same era (17-19 inch LCDs with these resolutions).

Surprised that almost 16% of users have 5 GB or more of memory. 27.16% having 3 GB of memory makes me think there's a LOT of notebook users since that's a fairly common memory config for notebooks now days.

Regards,
SB

3GB are probably mostly users with x86 version of windows, 3-4GB of RAM and a PCIe bus.

GTX 5xx and Radeon 6xxx series haven't cracked even a sixth (0.16%) of a percent of all video cards. Neither seems to be having nearly as much of an impact as 58xx series did. In fact the 4800 series gained more that month than GTX 580 and 570 combined. 5800 series increased total GPU share by well over triple GTX 570/580 combined.

I'm surprised with some of the results. GTX 580 doing better than GTX 570. Radeon 6870 doing better than Radeon 6850. Hell GTX 570 making less than 0.15% of DX11 only sales makes it completely irrelevant in total GPU sales. I was expecting GTX 570 to do quite a bit better.

Don't forget that the GTX570 came several weeks later than the GTX580! So At the end of January the results will be more representative regarding that.

Back