New Shadow...run Screenshots

The graphics seem to have been improved. Now they just need to scrap the gameplay and make an RPG. :)

ShadowRun was about the action, the interaction of technology and the mystic. RPGs are blah, you play through them once and are done. This people will play forever because instead of some dumb lifeless AI providing the challenge on the run, real live people will provide the challenge on the run.

"Now" it looks like another B game? "Now"? Man, where were you at E3? Shadowrun *defined* the B quality level at E3.

Anyway, the hands-on are fairly positive. Maybe it'll be a fun game after all, but I don't know why they made it Shadowrun. None of the fans seem to like the game.

Meh, its an interesting IP. Conceptually the previous computer games have been far too limited vs what the actual FASA game was like to actually play. As far as fans, do you really think that anything that would appease the fan base would have a chance in the market place or even be a decent game?

ShadowRun was about the action, the interaction of technology and the mystic. RPGs are blah, you play through them once and are done. This people will play forever because instead of some dumb lifeless AI providing the challenge on the run, real live people will provide the challenge on the run.

Problem is there's no point to the game. You "character" exists for what, six 5minute rounds? As a fan of roleplaying games this really doesn't appeal to me at all, at least if you had some sort of permanent character that could build on an retain abilities, that would be much better.

As far as fans, do you really think that anything that would appease the fan base would have a chance in the market place or even be a decent game?

The whole point of using an existing IP is to leverage the built-in fan (i.e. customer) base of that particular universe. If you're not going to do that, then you are better off just creating your own IP -- thereby avoiding any potential licensing fees or incurring the wrath of an unhappy fanbase.

Yes. How could an IP have a bunch of fans unless it was inherently popular?

The IP is pretty nice, but the costs associated with making a first tier CRPG are fairly expensive with a large sizable unknown return. In addition, one of the things that makes shadowrun as a game fun is the multiplayer aspect. Its hard to deliver that without creating a full fledged MMO which has its own assorted issues.

The game they decided to create is very much in the Shadowrun universe and extremely fun, it has the added benefit that it will appeal to more than just the hardcore shadowrun fans. The creators of the game are fans of the shadowrun universe and have delivered a game that brings all the elements of that universe into a more FPS frame. Give it a try. You might like it.

The whole point of using an existing IP is to leverage the built-in fan (i.e. customer) base of that particular universe. If you're not going to do that, then you are better off just creating your own IP -- thereby avoiding any potential licensing fees or incurring the wrath of an unhappy fanbase.

You are confusing the casual fan with the hardcore fan. I think it appeals to the casual fan. I'll admit that I was a little sceptical when I first heard what they were doing. But having had the chance way back when to play it, the gameplay is solid and it captures all the elements of shadowrun, IMHO, better than any of the shadowrun CRPGs.

As far as licensing fees, FASA Studios already has a license to computer versions of all FASA IP.

This is really depressing. How all game art designers gone retarded with the next generation? I mean, there's a bunchload of games where character / environment look plain fugly, and the design does not showcase the new technology well at all.

First shot still looks poor imo. The level design there looks horrific. 2nd shot looks really nice though (PR it seems... hopefully they keep AF on haha). If they had self shadowing that would go a far way to improve the IQ for my tastes.

Ya the environment is not all that, but the lighting with the character model is great.

Back