New processor

A good example of that is the Gigabyte DS3, one of the earliest 965P mobos. The board has been through something like 4 hardware revisions since release, the latest supporting 1333 MHz FSB and having better mobo power circuitry. Never mind that the BIOS has seen many revisions as well, each improving reliability and performance in various ways.

This is something that happens with every technology release.

I actually kinda disagree with upgrading right when something new comes out. I regretted it twice recently with major platform changes. When Intel switched over to LGA775 and PCI Express and when nVidia released Nforce 4. I found myself in the position of a hardware beta tester looking for updates constantly to increase performance/solve issues. Your selection of choices is usually limited as well, plus you dont usually save anything as no ones offering discounts/deals on newly released products.

I wouldn't upgrade when I new platform is released but I do think it's a good idea to upgrade when a new CPU/GPU first comes out. I got my G70 (7800GTX) about a month after it was released for $600 and I don't regret it in the slightest, similarly when the core 2 CPU first came out I think they were quite a good buy seeing as intel didn't significantly drop the price until recently. Basically if a new product is released and the competitors product isn't out and probably wont be out for a few more months it's always a good time to invest. A major price drop can also be a good reason to upgrade, I think a core 2 quad at :love:00 will be a very solid performer for the money and will defiantly stand the test the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another question: I'm wondering if my PSU is going to be enough to power a new processor, it's only 500 watts. Are the new Core 2's more power hungry than p4's? If so, how much?

The Core2's are considerably less power hungry than the old Pentium 4's. Even with a Core2Quad, the worst you could do is have about the same power consumption as most of the P4 line.

Especially so if you wait for Penryn (45nm = less power)

So, in essence my PSU should be enough for a Quad, running at the factory speed seeing as I don't plan on OC'ing it? And US, you don't have any issues OC'ing them?

So, in essence my PSU should be enough for a Quad, running at the factory speed seeing as I don't plan on OC'ing it? And US, you don't have any issues OC'ing them?

Well I have a 450W Cogent PSU as all is well. I run two HDD's, my X-Fi etc.

As for OC'ing issues. None so far except that at 3.2Ghz I feel air cooling might not be enough even with the Zalman 9700(temp starts going over 50-60 Degrees Celsius). With the Stock cooler 3Ghz might also be a bit hot, so invest in a good cooler and OC to 3Ghz. As you know 3Ghz is what the current QX6850 is running at. Most current mobo's should be able to run 333Mhz @3Ghz. ;)

I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe which utilises 975 chip, though the 965 P5W should be able to do the same for a cheaper price. ;)

Highest OC I got - 3.2Ghz - All Pics were done with air (No Water Cooling)

US

Current OC - 3Ghz 3DMark06 with PI 1M and 2M scores :) Temp sits anything from 30 standing, watching movies to 45-50 degrees playing games. That's ok as long as it doesn't hit 60 Degrees imo.

Sorry for seperate post but limited to 6 pics only.

US

Ugh, I forgot. Will upgrading to a 64 bit processor require me to upgrade my OS as well? I'm currently running XP Pro, 32 bit obviously. Someone told me XP can run 64 bit processors, but they'll only utilize 32 bits and he also said there's a significant performance nosedive.

Ugh, I forgot. Will upgrading to a 64 bit processor require me to upgrade my OS as well? I'm currently running XP Pro, 32 bit obviously. Someone told me XP can run 64 bit processors, but they'll only utilize 32 bits and he also said there's a significant performance nosedive.

People have been using Athlon 64's for years. ;)

Read: It'll be just fine. It would take a 64-bit OS to recognize the 64-bit'ness of the CPU anyway.

People have been using Athlon 64's for years. ;)

Read: It'll be just fine. It would take a 64-bit OS to recognize the 64-bit'ness of the CPU anyway.

Thank you. I asked this because there are 64 variations of XP pro. What of the "performance nosedive?"

there isnt one
a 64bit o/s wil let you use more than 4gb or ram if you should ever need to

Yeh, that's an aspect I forgot. I run 4 gigs of DDR2 and Windows only detects something like 3.3. Also I have 600 gigs of HD space, two 300's, but I only get something like 270 per HD, another limitation enforced by XP I've heard.

never heard of any hdd size limitation with xp not with a 300gb drive anyway (well there is a 137gb limit but that only applies to xp pre sp1) its more likely a combination of the manufacturer using 1million bytes = 1gb + the o/s using 1024kb * 1024kb = 1gb and the overhead from formatting- but that shouldnt take 30gb i dont think

edit: 300 x1million would = about 285 gb according to the o/s

Please note that the temperatures I gave were for the CPU cores. The CPU itself is cooler. This is according to Everest. core temps go up to 40 but CPU temp is 30.

US

3.4Ghz stable .. does 3DMark06 :)

I got it as high as 3.5Ghz in Windows but it wouldn't complete 3DMark06.

Been playing games and all at 3.4Ghz ... very stable. :D Notice the cool temps.

My Zalman 9700

US

Back