New Nvidia Devrel Veep, Roy Taylor

And here I was trying to figure out who the hell this "Devrel Veep" guy was...

Although I can't say I've heard of Roy Taylor either. Seems like a strange move though.

DevRel is a very important part in nVidias sales strategies for years. DevRel tells the developers that they can use the new features because until the game is finished everybody will have the necessary hardware (“If you need studies for your publischer we can provide themâ€￾). After this step is done successfully sales goes out and tells everybody that you need new hardware with the new features to play the next games.

Jawed said:
You sound like a man badly burnt!

Jawed

No I am not burnt. I am only seeing that they use this tactic for a long time. But ATI is not that much different today. They know that the only way to force people to upgrade is to make games unplayable on their current hardware. As slow does not mean unplayable at all they have to push features. I am sure that nVidia and ATI are not too happy with the “Direct3D 10 only for Vistaâ€￾ decision. I am looking forward what API hacks we will see for Direct3D 9 on Windows XP.

Anyway from the developer point of view it is not that bad if they give you what you need to convince the publisher that new technology will rule.

Demirug said:
I am sure that nVidia and ATI are not too happy with the “Direct3D 10 only for Vista” decision.

Yeah, I would be pissed if I had to sell everybody new graphics hardware all over again. ;)

I'd say that's one aspect of it, Demirug, but the primary aspect is making sure that all games run well on their hardware, and so they help game developers track down bugs in their own software, and in nVidia's drivers. In the end, nVidia can't do anything but suggest the use of particular features: there are many other minds at play in the decision.

I would never say something else. That’s the less public part of the devrel work. Mostly done by people you never heard about.

Demirug said:
I would never say something else. That’s the less public part of the devrel work. Mostly done by people you never heard about.
That's certainly true. But the public part isn't just about trying to get game developers to use new hardware features, it's also about educating game developers about how to make use of various effects in their games. nVidia's developer website is a great place to go to learn about a very large number of 3D graphics effects.

Chalnoth said:
That's certainly true. But the public part isn't just about trying to get game developers to use new hardware features, it's also about educating game developers about how to make use of various effects in their games. nVidia's developer website is a great place to go to learn about a very large number of 3D graphics effects.

As a registered developer I know there site and yes it’s a great source of wisdom. Maybe all the time had made me cynic but I am not able to believe that all this is done without ulterior motives. Every time after a new chip generation is launched they quickly have papers by the hand that shows what you can do with it. Another example is the top download section. Since months now the top download is “Vertex Texture Fetchâ€￾ but the paper itself is even older. Maybe it’s only me but I found it strange that it appears on the Top download list with days after the first reports that ATI doesn’t support this.

All I say is that DevRel is a strong part in marketing. The need to educate developers because no one will by new cards if the game looks bad or run like crap.

But to give an example from the competitor. ATI have send their world wide lead of developer relations Richard Huddy on a world press tour to make sure that everyone writes about the glory of Direct3D 10.

The "top downloads" has nothing to do with how many have been downloaded. Its marketish to push a topic.

If its truely downloaded the most, ask for numbers from NVIDIA.

-Numerator

Back