New MotoGP(360) Trailer

Beautiful. The game won't have that level of AA in reality, but this looks like the most photorealistic game i've seen yet.

Nice trailer!
For me, MotoGp on Xbox was one of the most underestimated racers. The sensation of speed was simply awesome. Everything about the game felt really good..

MotoGP on 360 looks sweet and with 20 online-racers.. this will be a helluva racing game online...

BlimBlim has a video up from a preview build.

http://xboxyde.com/news_2812_en.html

THQ was kind enough to send me a preview version of Moto GP 2006 on Xbox 360, so I HAD to make some videos. The trouble is that this version, as most previews, has some framerate problems and these videos would have really made a rather bad impression of the game. The Saschenring track, despite being one of the nicest looking of the season, is also one of the smoothest of this version so I managed to make this rather watchable video. Be aware that there are some graphical glitches: Transparent ads and pit line, and some overblooming at the end of the track. Nothing major but this will of course be fixed in the final game.

Interview (also new hands-on on the site): http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/705/705037p1.html

The entire rendering engine is brand new for Xbox 360 with high dynamic range lighting, light scattering and dynamic self-shadowing.

We have a dedicated grass shader that draws blades and scatters them across grassy areas so now our fields and verges have more volume and the straight-line edges are much more blurred. Every material in the game is faithfully represented - rubber absorbs light but has a slight sheen, brushed aluminum even has the brush marks on it and carbon fibre weave reflects light differently depending on how you're looking at it. We should hit 60 fps still with 20 bikes on the grid.

We have a light scattering algorithm that models the way light bounces off of particles in the atmosphere. Effectively, it's really clever fog but what it does is make stuff in the distance get lighter just like it does in real life. This massively improves your perception of depth in the game. It also makes things look a lot more realistic. Everything can shadow everything else in the game. So now, the rider casts a shadow on himself and the bike for example.

The bikes and riders together are in excess of 40,000 polygons now. That's five or six times what they were in GP3 and then there are normal maps and up to 6 layers of shader on every material. We don't talk about textures and models any more, we now describe materials using shaders so every surface on the bike can look and shine differently.

I'm curious about this light scattering algorithm... Wonder if theres any way to simulate that without actually tracing and boucing the rays?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back