New monitor recommendations!

6bit panels suffer banding, granted you do get used to it and after a while you dont notice it, unless like me your running it next to a 8bit panel

ps: how about a dell 22" (they have a good reputation)
for £149.99
www.autdirect.co.uk

direct link
http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Dell_Monitors.html
I never noticed any banding with my Dell 22" 228, just backlight uniformity issues, blacklight bleeding at edges and naturally no real blacks, other than that I cant say it looks any worse than my 17" trinitron. Colors were never a problem for it. I am using settings that someone obtained with a spider calibrator btw.

120Hz LCD are about to come. I'm hearing about Samsung SyncMaster 2243Hz, and I had first read about a 22" Viewsonic.
This is a major development to me, I don't really notice ghosting in mildly recent LCDs but I do notice the 60Hz limit very much, be it in gaming or even for the mouse cursor.
if you like CRTs and want a low latency monitor that might be the thing to get.
I like my counterstrike at 100Hz and my quake 3 at 120Hz very much on my CRT.

Yeah, I know, but they won't be here until early next year at the soonest. It's a pain that my CRT (which I used to run at 90 Hz) is dying because I would rather wait for the 120Hz LCD models. But I could end up waiting another half a year by the time someone brings out something I like, and I don't think my monitor won't last as long as that.

I'm hoping that these new Benq's will be acceptable at 75Hz, and if the worst comes to the worst, I can live with it for a while as they are so cheap.

I've picked up about ten CRTs for free from a science lab :), many 19/20" Trinitron and a few 17". All working except a very old one and two sync-on-green RGB. They even are already well set up. Very heavy beasts.
(I'm getting more seriously into recycling computer garbage as part of an association)

it's very possible to get another CRT in the interim.
Beware of 75Hz support on LCDs : they actually drop frames and only show 60Hz (as far as I know)
A 120Hz LCD with decent black level would at last be a flat monitor I don't hate :)

Back