New monitor recommendations!

Yes, it's that time of the month when someone pops up to ask for monitor recommendations. My old LG Flatron has (like all my LG CRTs) begun to give up the ghost, this time after 6 years, and it's not really economical to repair. I love the screen, hate the longevity (or lack thereof).

So, I need a monitor, and I guess it will have to be LCD given the only CRTs are the high end graphics workstation type of thing.

My requirements are: proper 24 bit colour if possible, widescreen format, 20-22 inch size, no ghosting in fast games (so fast response essential), decent scaling and handling of smaller screen resolutions and 4:3 aspect ratio, decent policy on hot/dead pixels. I spend a lot of time looking at text, so IQ is important. Budget is a measly £150-200. It's being paired with a 4870, so digital input needed.

I'm currently looking at the Samsung Pebbles, with their fast response and high contrast, as well as being pretty reasonably priced, but any recommendations gratefully accepted.

Any specific reason you want 24bit color? Photo editing or 3d modeling or something?

If not and your priority is gaming then you'd be better off with a TN panel.

Also I'm pretty sure all the 22" out there are still TNs

Yeah, photo/graphics work. I'm also trying to get a good bang for the buck rather than find I need a better monitor down the line.

Yea, it's a trade off, many of the 8bit panels will suffer ghosting. It depends on what your primary concern is.

I really don't want ghosting.

Anyway, I'll recomend my monitor. 24" BenQ G2400WD. I don't know what it costs in Europe but over here its <$400. It has the least banding of any TN model I've ever seen and of course it's fast, no ghosting and extremely low reports of stuck or dead pixels. Mine has none of either.

Some of the best reviews I've seen were for the 22 inch version, the G2200WT, so that looks like a promising candidate.

My wife has a Benq FP3G X that she loves. It was our first LCD, and it impressed me enough to take the chance on one even though I was a hardcore CRT guy.

Still going great after a few years, no bleed or dead pixels...I likes Benq.

You could always go for 24" inch monitor, the prices are lower now, plus you will get 1920x1200 resolution! :)

You could always go for 24" inch monitor, the prices are lower now, plus you will get 1920x1200 resolution! :)

TBH a 22 is in my price range, more suitable for where it has to go, and the Benq I'm looking at is 1920x1080. I think I like the sharpness of 22 compared to the 24s I've seen. The price difference between 22 and 24 is not worth it for me if I want something halfway decent.

I had a quick look at the E2200HD & T2200HD 22" 1920x1080 panels today. Not bad at all. They're a good solution for those that would prefer a 16:9 ratio & are bothered by LCD backlight bleeding. The E2200HD has HDMI 1.3 support, too. The 24" G2400WD has also dropped substantially & is a good buy.

Back