New Heavenly Sword Info (screens included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
that you can finish the demo pressing only one button. I only hope that in the final game if you fight pressing only x you'll be dead in 5 seconds... =P

Yeah but it looked like balls - well he was pressing triangle. The demo was early on in the game and pretty easy. My goal in the demo was to play it without losing any health - and you look badass. I don't know what to say really - it's a game for anyone to pick up and play, it's not like Ninja Gaiden which is very unforgiving and basically stresses you out (I predict anyway).

Anyway - the reviews don't appear to say this...(?)

that you can finish the demo pressing only one button. I only hope that in the final game if you fight pressing only x you'll be dead in 5 seconds... =P

Ahm....You could beat enemies in DMC1 with one button as well at the beginning....but playing the game more it showed a totally different self.

Also I although I didnt play HS, beating the demo with one button may not mean much. You could do the same with one button in DMC but one button actually could perform different combinations depending on the timing and direction of the analog stick. No button mashing, no random stuff. It needed strategy and skill

Same counts for DMC3 as well which is considered as one of the most difficult games of its type

You could beat lots of enemies without much effort with just one button. But believe me after progressing you wished you shouldnt have wasted your health like that even if you did kill them with one button earlier

edit: Btw I finished watching the video and although he did progress with one button they certaintly beat his ass

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahm....You could beat enemies in DMC1 with one button as well at the beginning....but playing the game more it showed a totally different self.

Also I although I didnt play HS, beating the demo with one button may not mean much. You could do the same with one button in DMC but one button actually could perform different combinations depending on the timing and direction of the analog stick. No button mashing, no random stuff. It needed strategy and skill

Same counts for DMC3 as well which is considered as one of the most difficult games of its type

You could beat lots of enemies without much effort with just one button. But believe me after progressing you wished you shouldnt have wasted your health like that even if you did kill them with one button earlier

Yup did you see the guys timing for counters? He had perfected doing that in some cases - he was not mashing.

edit: Btw I finished watching the video and although he did progress with one button they certaintly beat his ass

Uhm, i don't agree with you when you compare hs to dmc. In the first level of capcom's game you were surrounded by many demons and you couldn't block them all...especially those with shootguns... ;)

Uhm, i don't agree with you when you compare hs to dmc. In the first level of capcom's game you were surrounded by many demons and you couldn't block them all...especially those with shootguns... ;)

It's not that he blocked all of them in that video either ;)

It's not that he blocked all of them in that video either ;)

you're right, but in dmc if you used a simil method you could die, in that video it seems that he wasn't in danger...

oh, just to be clear, i'm a BIG fan of hs, i'll buy it immediatly when I will buy a ps3, but i get a little worried when I' ve seen that video :p

from another forum... :( :( :(
You can win Street Fighter using only one button too, you know. Or Resident Evil with just the knife. Or many RPG's without enhancing your characters or getting basic weapons.

What one CAN do how how fun and challenging EVERYTHING have no fundamental correlation.

you do know that is just the second level in the game right? plus he didn't block all of the attacks. that video proves nothing.

You can win Street Fighter using only one button too, you know. Or Resident Evil with just the knife. Or many RPG's without enhancing your characters or getting basic weapons.

What one CAN do how how fun and challenging EVERYTHING have no fundamental correlation.

The problem is that in those games mentioned you need a different level of skill or strategy to beat them in ways other than intended by the devs. In this case it seems that pressing triangle all the time would do the trick without aditional skill requirements.

All that theorising that the rest of the game is going to be as easy as the first level.
I'm sure we should give a bit more credit to the NT guys...

it's a game for anyone to pick up and play, it's not like Ninja Gaiden which is very unforgiving and basically stresses you out (I predict anyway).

This blog explains exactly what I'm saying, and what you're seeing in that video :)

http://blogs.ign.com/Heavenly_Sword/2007/08/29/64788

"I've only touched on three aspects of the combat system but nearly every part of it has this multi-layering: timings based on novice play, timings based on average gamers and timings based on complete ninjas. I don’t want to alienate people, I want to empower them.

Mums and dads, aunts and uncles: they can all play the game, enjoy and get something out of it. You guys, when you play, can play like your relatives or you can play like a pro. The combat system gives back what you put into it. It’s an interactive system, it’s reflexive. How you feel, how you respond, how you think.

The combat system is, as you play, a portrait of you."

Nicely put SaiTong

If it's any comfort, I died in the demo when mashing. The key is timing (which the guy clearly demonstrated).

I also noticed that he didn't play with the Axe guy (who is tougher than the regular soldier, and has a different color attack). So it would be impossible to complete the game with just 1 button... unless you are very good at dodging.

Limiting yourself to 1 button would be another kind of mini-game in HS itself (Replayability !); like how people completed FPSes with only melee.

The problem is that in those games mentioned you need a different level of skill or strategy to beat them in ways other than intended by the devs. In this case it seems that pressing triangle all the time would do the trick without aditional skill requirements.
Not really; it's still timing. Granted depending on what move your character has that you're wanting to abuse, it can be more DIFFICULT timing... ;)

At any rate, the footage we were looking at was a short clip from one area of the game, and the guy wasn't completely button-mashing, so... Like I said, there's just no way to tell how representative it is of anything. In neither reflects difficulty, nor shows you how much fun you may have with the full extent of moves. (Not to mention the opponent's strength and AI in a demo may reflect an earlier build.)

Unless random button mashing works so well that you're never forced to do ANYTHING else (it doesn't--not even in the demo), you'll find yourself experimenting with the full gamut to make a proper call.

This wasn't hard to tell at all. This simply was not representative of anything. These enemies were all single stance, and it was the first enemy encounter in the demo. Even then as patsu said had he left the axe guy alive he'd probably not have made it. Pointless discussion this.

Not really; it's still timing. Granted depending on what move your character has that you're wanting to abuse, it can be more DIFFICULT timing... ;)

At any rate, the footage we were looking at was a short clip from one area of the game, and the guy wasn't completely button-mashing, so... Like I said, there's just no way to tell how representative it is of anything. In neither reflects difficulty, nor shows you how much fun you may have with the full extent of moves. (Not to mention the opponent's strength and AI in a demo may reflect an earlier build.)

Unless random button mashing works so well that you're never forced to do ANYTHING else (it doesn't--not even in the demo), you'll find yourself experimenting with the full gamut to make a proper call.

What I was trying to say is, that perhaps you can parry and counter your way out of the first level but I highly doubt you'll be able to do the same in the next one.
And even if you can, it will require some skill (at least timing your buton presses) and later on good evasive techniques.

I think some people forget that it's the second level of the game (the first being a tutorial) it's bound to be relatively easy to finish the demo.

Show me a video of someone beating the demo with one button if they are fighting the guy with the big axe that you can choose to fight or kick off in the last QTE.

I think some people forget that it's the second level of the game (the first being a tutorial) it's bound to be relatively easy to finish the demo.

Show me a video of someone beating the demo with one button if they are fighting the guy with the big axe that you can choose to fight or kick off in the last QTE.

It can be done. But you have to use both the fast and strong stances and evade with the right stick. And of course, time your triangle presses correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back