New Harry Potter: just horrible. (spoiler alert)

suryad said:
I think we should have let Mr. Peter Jackson direct all Harry Potter movies. The Lord of the Rings is just about the best fantasy adaptation from a book I have ever seen!
If you don't mind the first two movies being quite different to the books. :rolleyes:

well I've watched it.
It's good way to spend 2 hours.
It has a lovely ending...
And there's a hottie in it(no I'm not talking about emma).
A bit older and er.. filled in:D

With some good praise, I have to say the dragon CGI sequence was outstanding. Particularly the nuances of the dragon climbing on the castle.

RussSchultz said:
With some good praise, I have to say the dragon CGI sequence was outstanding. Particularly the nuances of the dragon climbing on the castle.
Oh, yeah, the CGI was fantastic. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it immensely if I wasn't saying to myself, "This makes no damned sense!" the whole time.

I saw it last night, and I enjoyed it. Simple as that.

It's meant to be a movie where you just sit back and enjoy the essence of the books come to life (read: ESCAPISM). If you are a hard out fan of the books you will probably not enjoy the movies as you will be analysing it too much. If thats you, Tough luck there sunshine.

I enjoyed LOTR emmensely -and accepted that it was an adaption to fit a film format. Had it been 100% true to the books it would have sucked (losing Tom Bombadil & the Scouraging of the Shire was essential, some changes were so-so, but I accept it's someone elses vision of how to adapt it best, and opinions can differ). I cant say the same for the HP books to film adaptation as I havent (yet) read the books, but probably it wouldnt have translated well either. Probably the best way to enjoy HP is to not read the books until after you have seen the films. Or to switch off the analytical part of your brain and simply enjoy some movie magic.

my 2p

SimonF said:
If you don't mind the first two movies being quite different to the books
I will take a movie with some changes anyday over one that follows a book so rigidly it puts me to sleep (Harry Potter 2).
For that matter I don't know why purists ever bother with adaptations to a new medium - by the very definition of the word, it can never meet their expectations.

Well, I think I would have liked it fine if:
a) The movie didn't feel like it was in fast-forward the entire time.
b) They didn't butcher the character of Dumbledore.
c) There wasn't a horrible logical disconnect in the dragon fight.

Back