New Battlestar Galactica tonight?

I can't tune it in thru a standard cable tuner, digital cable tuner, HDTV tuner, and when I tune between 48 and 50 on Dscaler there just ain't nothing 'tween the two. :???:

"Gone" would be a pretty good description for me right now, but I will call the cable company probably tomorrow when time permits.

digitalwanderer said:
I can't tune it in thru a standard cable tuner, digital cable tuner, HDTV tuner, and when I tune between 48 and 50 on Dscaler there just ain't nothing 'tween the two. :???:

"Gone" would be a pretty good description for me right now, but I will call the cable company probably tomorrow when time permits.

Call them tonight. They should have 24/7 customer support. At least my local one seems to in Cleveland, OH. Funny as their support center is located in Florida. Gotta love outsourcing certain aspects...

I think the sci fi channel is still only boadcast in analog SD. Maybe that's starting to be an issue for your provider. I'm hearing that SD can't be ditched fast enough by providers, they can pack several digital SD channels in the bandwidth they'd use for analog.

Best of luck!

If it was on analog, they probably moved it to digital. check 160 on the digital box.

Thats what they have done to most of us already.

BRiT said:
Call them tonight. They should have 24/7 customer support. At least my local one seems to in Cleveland, OH. Funny as their support center is located in Florida. Gotta love outsourcing certain aspects...
Yeah, they have good support here too...I just hate having to resort to that. Makes it feel like I failed. :(

So I hunted around on their site until I found out they moved it from 49 to 160 for me, it's now a "digital cable" only channel.

No idea why and I don't really care, but Firefly is on right now and the picture looks like shite! Very lossy, I'm hoping it's just Firefly and not the station. :???:

Hate to break it to you, but SD analog on a big screen HDTV usually looks like crap. There's just not enough pixels for all that area.

Thanks for the all the caps Babel, looks like BSG in HD is something I'll have make time for. Now I can't help but wonder how long it will take the new episodes to make it to UHD.

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, they have good support here too...I just hate having to resort to that. Makes it feel like I failed. :(

So I hunted around on their site until I found out they moved it from 49 to 160 for me, it's now a "digital cable" only channel.

No idea why and I don't really care, but Firefly is on right now and the picture looks like shite! Very lossy, I'm hoping it's just Firefly and not the station. :???:

I've heard complaints from various people with various providers that they felt ripped off by the IQ after the transition to digital. Perhaps the providers are going overboard with the possibilities of compression.

Still analog by me.

kyleb said:
Thanks for the all the caps Babel, looks like BSG in HD is something I'll have make time for. Now I can't help but wonder how long it will take the new episodes to make it to UHD.

If I hear anything I'll post it in the uppermost BSG related thread on these boards.

I'll probably be looking for that answer myself tonight anyways.

digitalwanderer said:
No, it's the station. As well as packing more channels digitally into space previously occupied by analogue channels, they can pack even more in by lowering the channel bitrate. Otherwise they have to spend money on newer multiplexing frequency tech, resegmenting cable subnets, etc.

It won't be every channel they screw over, or even the same programmes on the same channels, but they tend to lower the bitrate on things that they think people won't notice like niche channels or repeats of shows they've previoulsy premiered at decent bitrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
No, it's the station. As well as packing more channels digitally into space previously occupied by analogue channels, they can pack even more in by lowering the channel bitrate. Otherwise they have to spend money on newer multiplexing frequency tech, resegmenting cable subnets, etc.

It won't be every channel they screw over, or even the same programmes on the same channels, but they tend to lower the bitrate on things that they think people won't notice like niche channels or repeats of shows they've previoulsy premiered at decent bitrate.
So there is still a chance BSG will look good? Or am I misreading that. :???:

I'll check it out, but I figure worse comes to worse the HD version will be downloadable before midnight. ;)

digitalwanderer said:

I'll check it out, but I figure worse comes to worse the HD version will be downloadable before midnight. ;)

Do you mean an analog capture or maybe a digital satellite feed? Afaik there's a long lag between sci fi original episode broadcasts and UHD feeds of those same episodes.

IIRC with shows like Stargate and SG Atlantis there are some lucky devils outside the USA who get digital satellite feeds that are very nice. Not sure at all though if that applies to BSG ...... I think it doesn't though. Hope I'm wrong.

My SD reception is acceptable but nothing more.

digitalwanderer said:

It will probably look good. For a first showing of the new season of the Sci-Fi Channel's premier shows, they won't screw the bitrate unless your cable company has really scrimped on the network infrastructure.

digitalwanderer said:

Quite likely.

So I decided to watch Battlestar Galactica premier tonight even though I'm pretty lost as to what exactly is happening, et al. Two words.

Holy.. Shit..

I'm going to buy the Season DVDs immediately. Wow. Just... Wow... And it's only halfway through the episode! Sci-Fi has a true gem on their hands with SG-1-->Atlantis-->Galactica.

Best.. lineup.. ever..

It is good! The HDTV version looks too damned lossy for me, but it looks good on my wife's monitor using Dscaler and the sound is REALLY rumbly! :D (She has a truly scary bass kicker on her system and she's very proud of it.)

Commercials almost over, back in a few....

I dunno, the end of the last episode where you have the two fleets facing off was pretty damned good too. ;)

I liked the President this episode, straight to the chase.

BSG is the best show on TV. Jesus. So complicated, actual questions of morality, and characters that aren't stereotypical. "I am the badass." "I am the smart but attractive scientist girl." "I am the renegade leader." When the president sat down with Adama in private, that was a definite whoa moment.

Michelle Forbes has earned whatever they're paying her.

I loved the subtle nuance she gives when reading Adama's log.

The president had a refreshing change from her normal role.

Oh yeah, I really liked the scene between Starbuck and Forbes, Forbes sees the true believer glint in Starbuck's eyes and uses it. We see what has been a strength in Starbuck being shown as a potential liability.

Lot of moments like that and which can only be pulled off by great actors working wth a well crafted script. Great ensemble acting too.

And yeah, great cliffhanger and with an excellent buildup. Nice editing.

One more thing about Forbes. I think her exquisite handling of her character has had a very positive impact on many elements of the show.

Back