New Battlestar Galactica spinoff coming; Caprica

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=35773

SCI FI Channel announced the development of Caprica, a spinoff prequel of its hit Battlestar Galactica, in presentations to advertisers in New York on April 26. Caprica would come from Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, writer Remi Aubuchon (24) and NBC Universal Television Studio.

Caprica would take place more than half a century before the events that play out in Battlestar Galactica. The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better.

Sounds like they'd start out peaceful, then have the first Cylon war :)

Could be very cool. But my God, put it on some other night than Friday.

Chalnoth said:
Sounds like they'd start out peaceful, then have the first Cylon war :)

Could be very cool. But my God, put it on some other night than Friday.
Is nbc taking BSG from SCiFI and putting it exclusively on its channel? Maybe thats why they are having a spinoff for the scifi channel.

epic

I think Epic is just asking if that might be a possibility. That would rock though, first runs of BSG in HD. :D

kyleb said:
I think Epic is just asking if that might be a possibility. That would rock though, first runs of BSG in HD. :D
I could have sworn i read something about NBC actually showing first run BSG episodes for the next season. If my recollections are accurate, that would leave a big gap in the SCIFI lineup, so caprica would be a great filler.

I'll try googling it up, maybe im just going crazy.

epic
edit: http://www.bitsofnews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3448

NBC has already tried to rebroadcast specific episodes, including an abbreviated version of the pilot, of the show to expectedly low-ratings results. Of course, those were expected because the episodes already aired. But given the mainstream critical acclaim of the series, as well as its tremendous popularity in iTunes downloads (as well as continued illegal downloads), there is some chatter that NBC Universal -- which owns both SciFi Channel and NBC -- could be considering moving the series to NBC.
One thing I'm wondering about the above:
How are online downloads of a nationally-broadcast TV show illegal?

digitalwanderer said:
I didn't know that NBC owned SciFi. :???:
Nope, it goes something like this:

Code:
these 2 companies        own                      which control
------------------------------------------------------------------
GE (80%)       |--> NBC Universal    |--> NBC
Vivendi (20%)  |                     |--> Sci Fi
epic

I actually saw a BSG episode on a local NBC station in HD.

Then I got disappointed when there weren't any more shown.

Back