BSG "Definitely the last Season"

I've got the last half-dozen episodes sat on on my hard-drive I can barely be bothered to watch them. Even less so now I know how shit the ending is going to be! Ah well, thank fuck it's over, US networks really can turn anything into a turd.

I'd still recommend watching it, it was a great show. Actually even the final episode rocked right up until about half way through. And the acting the fourth season was the best in the series IMHO.

In other news:

UN and Battlestar Galactica host discussion of human rights and armed conflict

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=30217&Cr=television&Cr1=

Is that real? It reads like an Onion headline..

That was awsome! Totally, completely AWSOME!! The ending (referring to the whole episode) was so perfectly fitting for a series of this scope that i'm just blown away. The twists (Earth), the story resolutions (Galactica's end, Tyrols revenge to name just a couple) were just superb. Kind of a little unsatisfied with the Starbuck conclusion, she was what? An Angel? but other than that I absolutely loved this episode (and the whole series). I thought the very last scene was simply inspired.

*loving rant over*

But what really sucks is them throwing 'God' in as the explanation for basically everything. Give me a frakkin break.

I didn't see it like that. I viewed "God" in the sense of the programme to be a proxy for story teller. Almost like we are not even supposed to suspend our disbelief and merely to view the whole series as a morality tale, more of a fable or a myth than events that we are supposed to believe actually happened. "God" then, was maybe more of a narrator that had influence to guide the story in its proper direction.

It was the final scene with the"Angels" in new york that solidified that view for me. IMO it was pretty clear that they were talking to the viewer and in effect handing over the rest of the story to us (the real world).

The end

Yep. As expected, I thought it was a truly dire ending to a dire final series. I'd say the ending was a case of "Deus ex machina" except it must have been obvious to everyone that something like that would happen, what with all the quasi-mystical mumbo jumbo they've been pumping into the show since the second series. After the original mini-series who'd have thunk "Angels" would end up saving the human race from those nasty Cylons?

I'd pay good money to get the last 40-odd minutes of my life back especially, because the pointless 'goodbyes' spread out over such a length of time bored me shitless and I was just waiting for the inevitable segue to the present with a warning about our currrent actions. Nothing more than self-satisfied bullshit.

I'd have to say that any good feeling I had for this show has now been totally and completely obliterated. (Much like any coherence to the storylines as the series progressed, in fact).

Series 1: Good
Series 2: OK
Series 3: Bad
Series 4: Appalling

Oh well. I'm pleased some people enjoyed it at least. God only knows why though. :p

I didn't see it like that. I viewed "God" in the sense of the programme to be a proxy for story teller. Almost like we are not even supposed to suspend our disbelief and merely to view the whole series as a morality tale, more of a fable or a myth than events that we are supposed to believe actually happened. "God" then, was maybe more of a narrator that had influence to guide the story in its proper direction.

It was the final scene with the"Angels" in new york that solidified that view for me. IMO it was pretty clear that they were talking to the viewer and in effect handing over the rest of the story to us (the real world).

Well I surely never thought of it like that.
I mostly agree with Mariner in that they couldn't explain all the stuff they'd thrown in so they had to use God as the answer.

I don't agree though that the fourth season was horrible. Actually I thought the second half of it was some of the best television I've ever seen barring the last 30 minutes.

Wow, ok, that's food for thought and I'll make a point of seeing again that part. Thanks.

I think people are simply trying to read to much into the intentions of the show's makers. I call this the "Lost" effect. It is where avid fans try to look for deeper meaning in a TV series when in actual fact the actual plotline is just ten kinds of nonsense thrown together in an attempt to keep viewers watching.

Seriously folks, there was nothing whatsoever deep or meaningful about the last couple of series of BSG as it lurched towards an inevitably rubbish ending.

The only two episodes of the final series which I enjoyed (yes there were some!) were the two relating to the mutiny/rebellion which were, on the whole, quite well done and acted. Note that this is because neither of these contained much in the way of psuedo-mystical mumbo-jumbo but instead attempted to deal with human behaviour and actions.

Right. Now I've had my say, I'm going to discard all the trappings of civilisation and live like a savage until my inevitable premature death by starvation or disease... :devilish:

Right. Now I've had my say, I'm going to discard all the trappings of civilisation and live like a savage until my inevitable premature death by starvation or disease...

Nah, just turn off your TV, that will do ;)

I think people are simply trying to read to much into the intentions of the show's makers. I call this the "Lost" effect. It is where avid fans try to look for deeper meaning in a TV series when in actual fact the actual plotline is just ten kinds of nonsense thrown together in an attempt to keep viewers watching.

Seriously folks, there was nothing whatsoever deep or meaningful about the last couple of series of BSG as it lurched towards an inevitably rubbish ending.

The only two episodes of the final series which I enjoyed (yes there were some!) were the two relating to the mutiny/rebellion which were, on the whole, quite well done and acted. Note that this is because neither of these contained much in the way of psuedo-mystical mumbo-jumbo but instead attempted to deal with human behaviour and actions.

Right. Now I've had my say, I'm going to discard all the trappings of civilisation and live like a savage until my inevitable premature death by starvation or disease... :devilish:

Its just a matter of different tastes. The last series held no merit for you because it had a lot of focus on the metaphysical while you clearly prefer an experience firmly grounded in known reality.

Others don't mind a bit of the metaphysical though, even if we don't believe in it. If its used in such a way that it helps to tell the story, it doesn't matter all that much if its believable or not (too some). And to those people, like myself, the story was very well written and the spiritual aspects added a level of depth that would otherwise have been lacking.

I don't mind the metaphysical but any mainstream TV show is only going to provide a cod-metaphysical storyline, so to speak, and only then in an attempt to pad the show out or avoid producing a coherent plot. All IMHO, of course.

I only ever watched this show on my own so at least my dislike of this approach didn't affect the enjoyment of others!

Sorry pjbliverpool, that's the biggest pile of horseshit I've read recently.

When I invest FIVE YEARS of my life into a TV show, they should NOT be allowed to, in the last episode, pretty much say, "Figure it out for yourself, folks".

While the last five episodes bored the poo out of me (seriously, did we need 41 mins of Kara playing the piano?) I was so angry with the last episode that I almost blacked out.

And then to come online and read that fanboi's like your good self thought it was awesome makes me sad all the way to my toes. For a series that when it started had a very solid hold on itself, the final series threw EVERYTHING by the way side, and it all just became "God". Now, if it had set *God* up as a actual entity then I might not mind. But other than the characters and the Cylons *sometimes* discussing the pros and cons of a one god/many god system, absolutely nothing was set in stone.

But, the writers (I shouldnt even call them that)... the, er, scribblers, backed themselves into a corner that THEY couldn't get out of. Taking 5 mins to think about a better ending, that fit in more with how the universe as we've been told for 5 years works, isn't exactly hard.

How about: Kara WAS a Cylon. When she died on "earth" she managed to use a resurrection device that had survived the bombing. She knew it was there because she was a "rogue" Cylon, and had actually been one of the #8's we never saw. She'd managed to tweak the machine to be able to change the physicality of the model it made during resurrection, so that when she died, she was a "man" and had been "reborn" as a woman, to hide from Cavil.

So, Cavil's main beef was that he didn't want to be an old man, so Kara could have led him to the last super-powered resurrection machine, and had him remade as young man, or even if tweaked enough, reborn into a Centurion body.

THAT would have made much more sense to me. This is just me taking 5 mins to think about an alter-ending, given the cards I was dealt up until the last episode. Truth though, I wouldn't have written any of the last series, cos it was dogmeat.

Ok, just thought of this one and it's now bugging me more than "WTF IS/WAS STARBUCK?!?!?"

"All Along The Watchtower" was written on OUR earth which is the one they find at the very end....so the song wasn't written until 149,960 years or so until AFTER the whole series was on?

WTF?

Give this a read.
http://tv.ign.com/articles/965/965454p1.html

From page 3:
The inclusion of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" in the series, which began with the third season finale "Crossroads" and saw the song continue to pop up on the show until the last episode, is an attempt to link our present to the past time when the Colonials lived. It seems so obvious now that we've seen the whole show, doesn't it? In fact, it's an idea that has been bouncing around the writers' room of Galactica since at least the first season, though at that time it was deemed too early in the process to include it in an actual episode.

"It was a simple way to communicate clearly the idea that this is not the future, that this is a story about a culture that gave birth to ours," says Eick. "There was an episode in season one in which Helo and Sharon are running for their lives and they hole up in a diner and there's a Cylon centurion cornering them, and for the longest time we planned to have an old jukebox in the diner that would play 'Yesterday' or, I don't know, whatever we could afford."

"Probably not 'Yesterday,'" laughs Moore.

"Something from The Guess Who!" counters Eick with a smile. "And I think we felt it was too soon and that it would confuse things and it would be so non-specific that people would just be thrown by it. But we were thinking about it that far back, that music would be a great way to say to the audience [that] it sort of follows that cyclical theme of this has all happened before and it will happen again. That this culture is the one that gave Earth ours, so that all the colloquialisms and all the slang that you hear, and all the behavior and idiosyncratic nuance, and how people interrelate, playing cards and whatever, we get that from them. Not the other way around."

"The notion is … that the music, the lyrics, the composition is something sort of divine, eternal, it's something that lives in the collective unconscious of the show for everyone on the show and everyone today," elaborates Moore. "It's a musical theme that repeats itself and crops up in unexpected places and people hear it and people pluck it out of the ether and write songs and hear it, and it's sort of a connection of the divine and the mortal… That music is something that people literally catch out of the air and can't really tell you or define exactly how they compose it. Here is a song that transcends many eons and many different peoples and cultures and literally [travels] across the stars and ultimately was reinvented by one Mr. Bob Dylan."

I bolded the part that most directly answers your question. It doesn't make any damn sense and is further proof that the writers got in over their heads. :cry:

Hear ye! Hear ye! Let it be known that Battlestar Galactica shall stand as an example of how not to run a TV series and how not to construct an opening vignette. Let it also be known that the story contained too much prophecy bullshit and determinism. Ron Moore is of the Star Trek DS9 alumni and it shows; DS9 too contained prophecy bullshit and determinism.

On the running of BSG: having breaks between seasons is OK, but having breaks halfway in a season is not cool. Also, the structure of the entire storyline is wrong: having an amazingly strong start, a really slow and boring middle and end. B5 did it better, it built up with a slightly slow start, had an amazing middle and a good end. In a fight, JMS would kick Ron Moore's ass. :cool: JMS planned the shit out of B5 while Moore would have seemingly gone on forever with BSG except the ratings forced his hand. He should have planned out the story first instead of flying at the seat of his pants. Ultimately BSG is unfulfilling and should probably have ended much, much earlier.

On the opening vignette: The drumladen spoilerfest was instaskip for me.

It is safe to say that I won't be watching the Caprica show.

PS: I see you Ron Moore, with your National Geographic and your beard! At least JMS' B5 cameo was as the technician who shut the last of the Babylon stations down.

He should have planned out the story first instead of flying at the seat of his pants.
Does anyone actually do this (anymore)? With fickle audiences and short attention spans, it seems showrunners have the incentive not to make that 'investment' rather than just make up stuff as you go along.

I haven't watched 24 this season, but I read something when they aired that prequel TV-movie about how (paraphrased) "this season would be great due to the writers strike, because the shift in the production schedule meant that they (for the first time since S1) knew the outline of the whole season before they started shooting rather than only four episodes".

My reaction was: "Seriously? No wonder there's so much shit on TV".

Does anyone actually do this (anymore)? With fickle audiences and short attention spans, it seems showrunners have the incentive not to make that 'investment' rather than just make up stuff as you go along.

I haven't watched 24 this season, but I read something when they aired that prequel TV-movie about how (paraphrased) "this season would be great due to the writers strike, because the shift in the production schedule meant that they (for the first time since S1) knew the outline of the whole season before they started shooting rather than only four episodes".

My reaction was: "Seriously? No wonder there's so much shit on TV".
A season of 24 does only span a day and I think it's very different from B5 and BSG where the story spans over years.

It's not really the right thread for this but I believe firmly that fast pacing can overcome many problems with a show. Pacing is one of the problems of Lost post season 1 episode 13, it just got so damn slow. Same happened with BSG and Prison Break and Heroes. Prison Break was planned to end after 13 episodes, but the producers and the network realised they had a hit on their hands so they padded out the season with 9 episodes of unplanned fluff, i.e. shit. BSG started with really awesome pacing but it turned into a quagmire. Heroes screwed the pooch on the story with day time soap opera story twists and pacing thereafter.

At least 24 powers along at full speed.

I feel sorry for people that are going to try to read into the last couple seasons of BSG. It's clear they ran out of ideas and were just doing whatever came to mind to get by.

Back