New 3d card features in 2006 - THG

Full of errors... on the first page:

"One of the earliest graphics cards to attempt to make use of them were the Geforce 4 and Radeon 9600 in the game Morrowind. "
????

9600 came later than 9700, and MUCH LATER than 8500.

"After this, however, the paths of shader versions diverged. NVIDIA stayed with Version 2, while ATI upgraded its new graphics boards to support PixelShader 2.1."

there is no pixel shader 2.1.
and nvidia's PS2.0A had more features than ATI's PS2.0B

"he Radeon X1000 series and the Geforce 7 now come complete with PixelShader Version 3 support, "...

GF6-series already had PS3.0.

arjan de lumens said:
Ummm, what's up with the article name that Tom chose? I mean, all the features he describes have been available in 3d graphics cards since at least mid-2004.
Shhhhhhhh! Tom stuck with the FX pretty darn loyally thru that time so he doesn't know. ;)

Nice recap. But seems more like an advertisement for FEAR than anything else. And I think 2.1 is the same as 2.0b or whatever that model was called...I guess.

Nice pictures to look at, but really, what a load of bullshit we have there..

These days, it makes sense to distinguish the shader by its version number; anything lower than PixelShader 3 cannot display new graphics effects like HDR rendering, parallax mapping and transparent water.

Hell, my voodoo 1 does transparent water in Quake 1 !

arjan de lumens said:
Ummm, what's up with the article name that Tom chose? I mean, all the features he describes have been available in 3d graphics cards since at least mid-2004.

I think something went wrong when they changed the site logo and general layout; since then they lost complete touch with reality. It's not the first write-up I want to run against the next best wall while reading it lately.

Demirug said:
Why not? But the right name is Direct3D 9EX (not 9.1) and we will not see new shader models in this version.

Well, digi is talking about the mythical DX9.1 version that nvidia fans were expecting back in 2003 to make the GFFX demonstrate its true power and crush the big, bad R9700, or something. I just think digi is far too enthusiastic is putting those people down, it's been more than two years. Digi, that horse is dust by now. If the DX9.1 subject were a thread you'd be a necro. ;)

Mordenkainen said:
Well, digi is talking about the mythical DX9.1 version that nvidia fans were expecting back in 2003 to make the GFFX demonstrate its true power and crush the big, bad R9700, or something. I just think digi is far too enthusiastic is putting those people down, it's been more than two years. Digi, that horse is dust by now. If the DX9.1 subject were a thread you'd be a necro. ;)
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

arjan de lumens said:
I think what he meant was that those same features will be available in 2006 too, hehe.

Skrying said:
I think THG proves once again they're pure idiots.

Getting green paper from 'The Big Green Giant' really retards ones vision and ability. Just like buying a Videocard with a Green PCB does ;)

Poor THG, you used to be a usefull source of information..now all I see is kids who browse straight to his site, read the lovely and constantly biased and out of whack reviews, and make their buying decisions. Sigh sigh sigh.

Uh. Yeah. :)

I was surprised to see that an article about future graphics features totally neglectss to mention geometry shaders...

MipMap said:
I was surprised to see that an article about future graphics features totally neglectss to mention geometry shaders...

That is SOoo 2008! if it ain't in the D3 engine, it ain't in the future..

Back