Nero Showtime gets ATI h.264 decode

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Was just upgrading my Nero 7, and noticed that the release notes for 7.5.7.0 made available on 10/16 say the New Features for Showtime (their player):

Windows Vista Ready
ATI hardware acceleration support for H.264 decoding

Has anyone tried this yet? Or compared before/after?

wow ATi acceleration. I'll have to try this out compared to Zoom Player.

Hmm updated and it doesn't it work. (well it works but without hardware acceleration) :cry:

It works fine in CyberLink. :???:

Works nice for me. You may have to disable hardware acceleration, then re-enable it, but then it works. Tested with the trailer for Xmen3 (1080P) and the Nine Inch Nails live HDDVD/Blueray trailer(1080P). Gives full speed and nice quality.

Works nice for me. You may have to disable hardware acceleration, then re-enable it, but then it works. Tested with the trailer for Xmen3 (1080P) and the Nine Inch Nails live HDDVD/Blueray trailer(1080P). Gives full speed and nice quality.

Kewl. What kind of difference in CPU usage with/without on which CPU?

OK, tested out CPU usage and here it is:

Tested on Athlon64 4000+ single core, 4GB RAM, Radeon X1900XT 512MB

Xmen3-CPU only: 50-75% normally
Xmen3-Hardware accelerated: 20-50% normally

NIN-CPU only: 75-100%, mostly 100% due to a much higher bitrate because of the video content
NIN-Hardware accelerated: 60-80% normally

Even though the numbers don't seem that much better, the acceleration makes these videos watchable, whereas before the video would start to lag behind the audio. I'm pretty happy with it.

Reactions: Geo
Nope it still doesn't work, but maybe it's because I have x64; WMP 11 and DXVA doesn't even work (it crashes, even with Cyberlink) :cry: . Only Cyberlink + WMP 10 does hardware accleration (and DXVA) work. :???:

Reznor (Trent? :p ) - what is the bitrate of that NIN clip?

It's a highly variable bitrate, low as a few Mbit/sec up to 30Mb/sec or so. It's 1920x1080@30FPS , 42 seconds long, 55.5MB. You can find the video on the NIN website under the "Current" section from a few weeks back.

The newer version of FFDshow Zaphod linked plays back alot faster than the older version I had, but Nero is still faster. For some reason when I play back in MPC it's close to full speed when full screen, but extremely choppy when windowed. I use VMR9 rendering for MPC.

I tried the Simpsons 1080p trailer on this and with the hardware acceleration enabled it ran much worse, the gamma darker and processor usage was higher. Without acceleration it was perfect.

Back