Nehalem gets a name

ShaidarHaran

hardware monkey
Veteran
Core i7

WTF?

Who's the marketing genius that thought up this seemingly nonsensical combination of letters and numbers? I can't wait to hear the official explanation for this nomenclature.

I dont know but I mean the latest fad is to stick an I before everything...IDrive..Iphone..ITouch...IT...

it will sound awkward in many languages. Here it's "core isset" or "corisset".
though many new names look weird such as core 2 duo itself (what? it's both 2 and duo? why not bi-twin core 2 duo²?)

When I first saw it, I hated it. But in the time its taken me to read the thread and the link, I think I like it.

Its sophisticated, which makes it sound powereful. It probably makes no sense, but then neither did Wii.

Pentium = 5
Core = 6
Daftname = 7.

It all makes sense. Ish.

What it does show, in retrospect, is how good a name Pentium was. I suppose they couldn't have Nehalam marketed as Septium though :)

Core2 was OK until they went to Core2Duo which seemed to be repeating itself.

Pentium = 5
Core = 6
Daftname = 7.

It all makes sense. Ish.

What it does show, in retrospect, is how good a name Pentium was. I suppose they couldn't have Nehalam marketed as Septium though :)

Given Core 2 is the successor of the Core series of CPUs... I'd say not.

And I thought Phenom was a bit of a silly name. i7 us just plain dumb. It doesn't say anything at all. "I'm looking to buy an i7 rig for my next PC". It's not even a word, it might as well just be a code number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pentium = 5
Core = 6
Daftname = 7.

It all makes sense. Ish.

What about the various Pentiums? "Fiveium" 4 never did sound right ;)

The name was fine for enthusiasts that bother to attempt to comprehend these bizarre nomenclatures, but highly confusing for the average consumer.

Core (single core, pentium m rebranded)
Core Duo (dual-core)
Core2 (single core, new generation)
Core2 Duo (dual-core)
Core2 Quad (quad-core aka double dual-core)
Core 3 Quad (native quad-core, new generation)

Core 3 Quad would have made the most sense.
But then, how to deal with the HT?
Core 3 Octo doesn't quite sound right :???:
Core 3 QuadOcto
i7 Octo
007 Octopussy?

I would have preferred if they simply used Conroe. It was a fine name. "Core" is a bad name even without the 2 and Duo nonsense. What's a Q9550? "A Core 2 with 4 cores". How's the average joe going to get that right? Somehow I think they simply wanted people to confuse concepts like dual-core and quad-core with their CPUs.

Why is the average joe going to care what a Q9550 is? They're not. "Is it fast? Faster than that one? Ok then, I'll take it."

Given Core 2 is the successor of the Core series of CPUs... I'd say not.

Good point! Perhaps it's more along the lines of

Netburst
Core (any flavour)
Nehalem ( AMD clone ;) )

i obviously for Intel so the 7 must mean something. Probable something completely different and I am barking completely up the wrong tree.

Meh, I don't really care for it. I still like the Pentium name.

Well, because they see a box in the store with "Q9550" on it perhaps?

Average joe doesn't buy a processor, they buy a computer. Now, average gamer might now care a bit and be confused but they'll likely go to a forum and just ask.

Core i7

WTF?

Who's the marketing genius that thought up this seemingly nonsensical combination of letters and numbers? I can't wait to hear the official explanation for this nomenclature.
The best Windows 7 hardware will be an i7.
Now if you put togheter one Windows 7 and two i7 you get a Wii 7 :oops:

Back