Need help with Photoshop 7.0 Batch conversion

Sobek

Locally Operating
Veteran
Hey guys.

I'm currently in at our office, trying to work something out with Photoshop 7.0, as you no doubt guessed.

What i'm trying to accomplish is the ability to batch convert a large number of images of varying size and resolution using a simple recorded batch command. What I really want to do is just reduce every image to half size...but for some reason, there doesn't appear to be any way to actually do this. There's 'Image Size', where I can drop the resolution down to half and run that as a batch (but if I do that to a small resolution image and then try and run it on a big one, it ends up making the big one ultra-tiny. Like running a batch to convert a 72dpi image down to 36, on a 300dpi image...36 makes it almost impossible to see). This making any sense? :p

So yeah, I just want to create a batch that will reduce all the random images in any given folder to half-size. I also tried the 'Fit Image' command under the File->Automate section, but that doesn't exactly work because some images are larger/smaller than others and it comes out wierd...

Can anyone help?

Hey there ...

This is how i do it...

1. Get XnView (freeware image viewer/processor) from http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/endownload.html

2.Install it. Start it.

3.Go to Tools > batch convert > transformations

4. Add the resize option to the transform chain

5. Set it to resize by percentage (50%)

6. Select whatever resampling algorithm you think would be best for your target images.

7. Add the images to the list ( you can also add a directory in one go ...)

8. Go ahead with the batch job . Thats it....

You might probably also want to add the 'Set dpi' option if you think you need it....

Hope this helped

Also....

XnView is great for viewing all kinds of image formats.. except cdr though :cry: ...

Also its as free as free software can get.

..No nag screen
..No demand for donations while you are trying to get something done
..No ads
..A community for help and downloads
..Lots of free plugins to extend functionality

Ahahaha, yeah that was a while back. I just gave up and sorted images beforehand into categories...I take a lot of images with our Nikon D70s, some vertical and some horizontal so I end up with two lots of images, first lot is 3008x2000, second is 2000x3008 (horizontal, vertical respectively) so if I just setup a batch that converts one from 3008x200 down to 1504x1000, it skews the vertical one and distorts the image.

So what I really need is to work out a way of making it blindly 'halfsize' images, rather than resize based on their width/length in pixels...but I STILL haven't found a way. Would be nice if I didn't have to resort to other programs too :smile:

Back