Need help for new monitor

After more than for years of using a already old 17'' crt I decided that its time for something new. The only problem is that I have no clue what to buy.

First thing is size. I went to the shop and checked out some 22'' screens. They dont look so big, but im pretty sure that once I got one they look big. Im wondering if it wouldnt be to big as I probably cant be more than 50cm behind it because my desk is under a sloping roof so I cant put it back very far.

Second is that I dont have a clue what the good screens are. i checked out the samsung bw 226 online and it looks very good and the image quality seems to be good too. It is a bit expensive though, around 260 euro's. Another big thing is that its not hight adjustable though I dont know why I care as I cant put it up high anyway because of the darn sloping roof... I cant even sit right up now with my 17'' so I wonder if I have to lay in my chair to get a good view at a 22'' monitor.

I also got a look at the 22'' acer of my friend but I wasnt exactly impressed with the image quality, everything looked fairly dull, like there wasnt enough color.

Are there any monitors I should concider checking out? And what is the minimum comfortable distance you need with such a big screen?

The 22" LCDs uses TN Film panel, the price differences come from the quality of panel and the quality of dithering. The Samsungs (assuming the right revision of the 226 bw) are the best in quality 22" you're going to find.

24" is the next step up and a massive jump in budget, so I'm assuming that's out of the question for you.

The 20" market is very crazy and has a number of panel types. You'll need to find the various models and panel types and go take a look on your own to see if these will please you are not.

The 22" LCDs uses TN Film panel, the price differences come from the quality of panel and the quality of dithering. The Samsungs (assuming the right revision of the 226 bw) are the best in quality 22" you're going to find.

24" is the next step up and a massive jump in budget, so I'm assuming that's out of the question for you.

The 20" market is very crazy and has a number of panel types. You'll need to find the various models and panel types and go take a look on your own to see if these will please you are not.

So the 226 is the best im going to find in the 22'' segment? I read a bit about the various panel revisions but it seems with the newer screens they dont put the number on the box anymore so its a guess which one you'll get. Its to bad there are almost no stores with a decent amount of screens on display to check the quality.

keep in mind if you have a big monitor you'll want a good gfx card so you can play games at native res

Fortunatly I dont play any games on my pc anymore so I can keep digi's adopted x1600 for a while longer. Though it would be nice if I could atleast run hl2/cs:s with this card on the new screen.

My mate has that one, apart from that its about 1cm smaller its actually the same as the 226bw. My mate opend it up yesterday to check the panel and it actually said 226bw. I think I'll go for the 226 instead of the 223 as they are both the same price (depending on the store, its 20 euro cheaper at some, and 30 more at others) and I might as well take that 0,4'' extra while im at it.

I'm still a bit botherd by the different panels in the 226 though. Samsung said they now switched to samsung only panels but it remains the question if they really did that. The 223 doesnt seem to have this problem.

I bought a 226bw the other day for $270 in dealstudio.com , if you do like the Acer , you can get the Acer AL2223WD , I remembered that while searching for the monitor I thought about it also , you can get one for around $230 .

Just stumbled on that one:

http://geizhals.at/eu/a294944.html

The return of PVA 22"-TFTs? If that one isn't worse than the 2111 (which a friend of mine has, and which is - simply put - awesome, if you can live with the 2 frame overdrive lag), I'm seriously considering it as a replacement for my old Samsung 950p+.

Before you consider the (of course rather high) price, keep in mind how long you are going to keep the monitor...

Input lag. All displays and all communicates in the system cause some lag, there's lag between your system in most and even the best of LCD monitors, I can't recall if 2 frames is a big deal or not right now.

Just stumbled on that one:

http://geizhals.at/eu/a294944.html

The return of PVA 22"-TFTs? If that one isn't worse than the 2111 (which a friend of mine has, and which is - simply put - awesome, if you can live with the 2 frame overdrive lag), I'm seriously considering it as a replacement for my old Samsung 950p+.

Before you consider the (of course rather high) price, keep in mind how long you are going to keep the monitor...

550 euro's is just to much, even if ill be using it for more than 5 years. I dont have the need for a screen with 100% perfect colors anyway as I wont be doing much photowork anyway and for the little I do it doesnt matter much as my current crt isnt calibrated anyway and any image I make looks totally different on all 3 crt screens in the house anyway. I just want a sharp image (current crt is kinda fuzzy) and the colors need to look right.

If you want big, buy an LCD TV with VGA in (or whatever your videocard offers as native out).

If you want cheap and medium sized, buy one in Germany.

Back