Need a long range N adapter that's solid

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I've been using the Netgear WNDA3100-100NAS, and it's great for short range but over distance it just blows! I'm looking for a new adapter for my son's rig upstairs, so it can be USB/PCI or whatever...I just want one that has a strong range/connection.

Help? :???:

I don't think dig has connectors or a crimper...plus his wife won't let him run cables :(

Dig...what about a repeater (WLAN extender) somewhere in between?

Whatever the best solution is, I'd just like to increase his connection speed. He's got by far the crappiest in the house, barely G speeds. :???:

Yeah, I'd love a cable too and we're thinking of just picking up a cheap 100ft one to run between his room and the router when my wife isn't home...but I need something for when she is. (I'm not allowed to drill holes for cabling, or otherwise make them.....she knows me. :oops: )

Get something with an antenna connector instead of an integral one (might as well go with a PCI-E card at this point as well) and use a high gain antenna.

Whatever the best solution is, I'd just like to increase his connection speed. He's got by far the crappiest in the house, barely G speeds. :???:

Yeah, I'd love a cable too and we're thinking of just picking up a cheap 100ft one to run between his room and the router when my wife isn't home...but I need something for when she is. (I'm not allowed to drill holes for cabling, or otherwise make them.....she knows me. :oops: )

monoprice has all the faceplates so it would look nice if you chose to do it that way. If you lived closer to me I would have come over and done it for you .

I think he had multiple different groups derived from different phases making it a drag.

Any way, external antennas can make a big difference ... if necessary you can DIY a directional one.

why not homeplug ?
MfA is correct. We have multiple circuits in the house so it won't fly. :(

I've been looking at Newegg and the one I've been liking so far best is this one here, but I've never heard of the brand before.

A "Zonet ZEW1690 IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Wireless Adapter with Dual 7dbi Hi-Gain Antenna & Bonus Low-Profile Bracket Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2". It comes with the high gain antennas, it's PCI, and from the reviews it sounds like the drivers self-install in Win 7 and play nicely with it without any proprietary software.

Any opinions?

I'm not sure what it is/does?

Does it grab the wireless signal and boost it? Would I just set it up in my son's room then with his existing USB adapter?

Yeah, though I would place it somewhere closer to half-way between the target computer and the router. I guess it'll depend on where the walls are and where you're getting the most signal degradation if it's not just raw distance.

I'm not too clear on the disadvantages though... I mean, the connection is going through another device, so I'd think there would be some sort of slowdown or lag. *shrug* I would just get the PCI card with the bigger antenna. I've never been a fan of the USB adapters. :p

Cheapest solution: move the router around and have the antennas point in different directions until the signal is best. The same goes for the orientation of the laptop.

Simplest solution: Replace the antenna(s) on your router with high-gain ones. Although I believe you have a router that doesn't have external ones, and it's likely to be more expensive than the next solution.

Nicest solution: buy a cheap router (like the Netgear WNDR3300, although one with external antennas would be better), install dd-wrt on it, and use that as a repeater on the most convenient location.

Back