My Pathfinder went to the Nissan doctor today....

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
...and I think the word to describe my reaction to their estimate would have to be either "flabbergasted" or "incredulous"....I really can't decide which.

I've known I need new brakes is why I took it in, as well as my hood latch being busted so I was keeping it closed with a bit of cleverly applied piece of #12 stranded. I also asked them to take a look at my front suspension as it was clanking a bit and to generally check her out.

When I heard their estimate I was just laughing out loud at them, literally...it was all I could do. Either that or hit 'em, and I ain't a hater.

Now bear in mind that my Pathfinder is a 1998. She's only got 35,000 miles on her though, and we've put 'em all on. Back when we got the Z they offered us $4,000 on her for trade-in value which got me all uppity pissed off too....

The estimate was for $3,500. Like $500 to change the front pads and get the rotors turned, $1,400 for new shocks/struts/sway bars, about $800 for the air conditioning, and a whopping $800 for a timing belt. (The belt is cheap, apparently you have to pull the engine to change it though...)

On the brightside, my hoodlatch was just jammed and they fixed it for free. :)

So I took me truck and went home. I'm gonna go check a few less larceny hearted mechanics in my area to compare prices, theirs just seem a tad insane to me. :???:

The timing belt is possibly the most critical matter in your list of described problems. The rupturing of a timing belt will most likely cause the car to be totaled. And your procedure is cheap, us sports car drivers pay at least a good 1,500 for that procedure. Let me correct myself: us FOREIGN sports car drivers. Mine was about that much. Ask your mechanic if your car is compatible with timing chains. According to my friend it's possible for some models of vehicle to receive timing chains, virtually unbreakable or will drastically reduce the span of time it will take for it to be replaced again. They generally need replacing every 50k miles.

My timing belt is fine though, and I ain't got that kind of cash to shell out on my car right now.

I'm gonna get a few more estimates and see what a few more mechanics say, I hate deciding based on just one opinion.

Besides, she still dances for me and seems happy so I don't think she's in any critical danger...I raced my wife home from the dealers and won. ;)

Finding an honest car repair place is tough. I worked for Grand Prix auto in LA from 16 till college and the industry is downright criminal. The one place you will NEVER find honest car repair (IMHO) is a dealership (unless you are personal friends with the owner). I once had a dealership tell my ex-wife that she needed new drums and pads on her van.

Only thing is it had 4-wheel disc brakes.

Same dealership tried to charge her $90 for a burn-out headlight! Not xenon - just a frickin incadescent bulb. I called up and reamed the manager over the phone since it was a $5 part on AutoZone.

I know a couple honest repair spots, but you'd have to drive to Cincinnati.

Might be worth it. :???:

Actually there is a pretty honest little garage down the street that did a great job one winter of replacing my alternator in a hurry on my Altima, and they were insanely reasonable about it. That and the fact that they are literally two short blocks away makes me think I'd be sort of an idiot not to let them give me an estimate.

We go to the dealer generally because our vehicles are still in warranty, but since my Pathfinder isn't we just take it there for the estimates and some regular maintenance stuff when it's on sale.

We're stuck taking our Z there for a while since it's under warranty, but no way I'll let them have my Pathfinder again!

My timing belt is fine though, and I ain't got that kind of cash to shell out on my car right now.

How do you know? Can you see it? You don't want to risk that breaking, then you'll really be paying out the ass...

Seems like this place is trying to rip you off though, a timing belt in a nissan should last you at least 60k miles.

I had to replace the timing belt on my old car at about 40,000 miles due to cracking... If the mechanic can see cracks in the belt, get it replaced ASAP. If the belt breaks while the car is running, there's a good chance at seriously damaging the engine.

With my old car, I was able to look into the engine and see the cracks for myself, so I didn't feel bad about getting it changed. I was a bit disappointed it went so early, but at least the mechanic caught it.

They couldn't see any signs of wear/trouble on the belt, they just "think it's time".

Scooby, I've had the truck for 8 years now and tend to know her pretty well. She's been running solid, her suspension and breaks just need work.

Well if the belt shows no major cracking, and the nubs aren't too rounded off, then it's probably just fine.

The timing belts not gonna go after 35k ona Nissan anyways, maybe on a Ford...

They couldn't see any signs of wear/trouble on the belt, they just "think it's time".

Scooby, I've had the truck for 8 years now and tend to know her pretty well. She's been running solid, her suspension and breaks just need work.

Sorry but timing belts do age and eight years is a long time. You really really should get it replaced. You will never "feel" that it's time to change it, it'll just snap. I have a chain in my car so I don't have to worry about it but it would be the last thing I would skimp on when it's time to service the car if I had one. A friends belt broke and he had to replace the entire enginge. Needlessly he felt utterly stupid for not servicing it in time.

Find a local repairshop, sometimes you get half the price compared to the dealership garage. Not that 800$ seems that much compared to for example Audis timing belt change here in Sweden.

Ps. I'll never buy a used car from you. ;)

The estimate was for $3,500. Like $500 to change the front pads and get the rotors turned, $1,400 for new shocks/struts/sway bars, about $800 for the air conditioning, and a whopping $800 for a timing belt. (The belt is cheap, apparently you have to pull the engine to change it though...)

You should be able to get the brakes done for under $300 easy. I'm thinking $200 would even be a bit too much. $1400 for shock replacement is outrageous. You could probably take it to Midas and get the same work done for under $500. $800 for airconditioning is way beyond reason unless it needs a new compressor or something. If it's just a recharge then it should be no more than $150.

As for the timing belt, that's a bit too much, but not way out of line. $500-$600 would be more acceptable.

My father in law owns a mechanics shop, and I doubt he would charge over $1500 for the same work.

Just got my Pathfinder back from Woody's garage down the street, I dropped her off this morning for an estimate.

They have to order the parts, but they're offering to replace my struts & sway bar links as well as replace my front brakes for $300. I set up an appointment to have it done next Tuesday.

I found my mechanic and his name is Woody. I walked down to the garage with the kids to pick up the Pathfinder and they got refrigerator magnets shaped like cars, candy, and frisby's with "Woody's" on 'em from the big guy himself...I highly approve! :D

New front shocks for $645, I'm still debating that one. (Monroe heavy-duty. Mine are fine, but leaking a little...I'll probably put it off)

Yeah, Dave Foerste down the street just fixed up the wife's supercharged TRD 4Runner - oil change, air filter, tire rotation balance, allignment and check out everything - plugs, wires, belts, brakes, etc. (none of which needed replacement) for about $80. Screw dealerships.

It was like sunshine on a cloudy day talking to the garage today, it really was.

My confidence is high about this one, it really is. I hope this is the start of a beautiful friendship. :)

We use a small, non-dealer garage that is just down the road on the corner. Cheaper, faster, more convenient, better service, better attitude than the dealer we used to use, or the dealers I have used in the past, both for private and company cars.

IMO, most of the name dealers just don't care about the customer any more. You pay a lot of money, get average customer service, and then some chimp getting paid peanuts does a mediocre job on your car.

If the engine is a non-interference engine then it won't matter if you bust a timing belt, but if it isn't then it would be very bad. It was $300 ish for our last timing belt change.

300ish for AC fix as well actually...hmmm anyway I haven't needed any sort of suspension work really yet on any of my cars except replacing the shocks in the rear which was dead easy.

We use a small, non-dealer garage that is just down the road on the corner. Cheaper, faster, more convenient, better service, better attitude than the dealer we used to use, or the dealers I have used in the past, both for private and company cars.

IMO, most of the name dealers just don't care about the customer any more. You pay a lot of money, get average customer service, and then some chimp getting paid peanuts does a mediocre job on your car.

I'd agree with this, having just finished using Ford service centres for my Ford Ka while it was under mechanical warranty. Average service would cost me NZ$300, take it to a non-dealer garage it costs $130 for the same work and they did a better job of it. Most car dealerships really don't give a toss about customers now.

A day late due to delayed parts, but I just got her back and she feels great!

The front end is nice and tight again with no ratttles, and it was exactly $308.84.....I've found my new mechanic. :cool:

Back