My new PC is cursed!

Good to hear!

I hope it works 100% for you and your case is a valuable lesson for everyone living in home with shitty wiring!
To avoid similar problems in future just move to a better wired home instead of changing PSU's :LOL: Less hassle and wife should be happier as well :D

Lol. I'll keep that in mind. Seems a previous owner was a "do it yourselfer" with little to no know how. The electrical f-ups are just one of a myriad of neato surprises we've discovered over the years...

Whee... Now my PC has been bitten by random idle bluescreen/reboot bug. Updated BIOS the other day, and now it's happened twice since. I also updated sound driver, but I don't know if that'd cause random bluescreens, especially since I wasn't playing sound at the time. YAY, I'm so fking happy!

First time it happened I missed it, I just heard the PC speaker beep when the box rebooted. Second time was like 20 mins ago, right before my eyes, and I got a whea uncorrectable error. Googling and clicking random links implies it's a hardware-originated error with no particularly well-defined cause. Just some sort of fking catch-all error? Wow, again, I'm so happy! That REALLY helps me narrowing things down, microsoft!

I had to re-tweak all my BIOS settings after updating, maybe the cause is there somewhere. *sigh* Where to start...?

Did you do a CMOS clear after updating your BIOS?

Mine is boot free now for a few days - YAY!

The flashing process automatically clears CMOS (on this mobo; which is probably a first in my experience). It may be that the CPU doesn't like 42-43x multiplers, sometimes when system was just idling I noticed using CPU-Z that the clock could jump up way, way high for no discernible reason (some background task doing some random shit for a couple hundred microseconds, whatever.) Previous bioses never seemed to let turbo clock go above whatever I set as four-core multi.

Anyhow, I re-set bios to defaults again just to clear any settings that might have interfered, and it hasn't crashed since. Then again, it didn't crash for hours before clearing cmos either, so that might not mean anything. We'll see how it goes... At least this BIOS release seems to have fixed the issue of the PC hanging during POST with an "A2" POST code; at least that hasn't happened since the update. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess, although I'd rather have POST hangs compared to random crashes! :p

Btw, gratz on your probably-fixed-reboot-issue! :) What do you think about the corsair PSU? Does yours buzz under load?

Btw, gratz on your probably-fixed-reboot-issue! :) What do you think about the corsair PSU? Does yours buzz under load?

The Corsair seems great so far...I haven't noticed any buzzing but I haven't stressed things too much (Civ V and Company of Heroes (new steam version) being about the only games I've played in the last week. Still, it's powering 4.5GHz with 2x GTX680s with no issues...as one would expect.

Mize, the PSU from Corsair seems to have fixed your problem, but I am curious why didn't the UPS protect you from inrush current in the first place? The UPS should filter out badness from AC and provides clean and stable current. Although you don't get unexpected reboot at low power state now, which is great, but since you still get strangely low voltage readings, and those shouldn't be caused by inrush current anymore, maybe the problem still exists somewhere in the hardware, e.g. motherboard, but somehow it get managed by the PSU.

A UPS can only provide so much power as there are limits on the availability from the AC line and caps on the discharge rate for the UPS battery (exceed these and risk fire). So clearly the inrush pull exceeded what either the AC line or the UPS could provide even if only for a second.

btw you maybe need to check the UPS output. just to be safe, its broken or not due to the electrical condition on your house.

my previous PSU was damaged to only output about 90v (should be 220v)

"PSU" = "UPS" in above quote... (Typos can be a bitch sometimes can't they...especially when Davros is around! ;))

..and the next issue in the never ending series.
Now my bios is corrupted pretty much everytime after a powerdown and the stone-old backup is flashed :rolleyes:

Back