My new PC is cursed!

I know for Haswell you'll probably need another PSU anyway. Some PSU's have serious problems because the idle power draw is so little that they either don't regulate correctly or simply shut off.

Given the "unclean AC input" history you've told us about, I'd target the PSU first. Get one that's Haswell compatible (yup, they exist) and go from there.

That first thing - shutting off because draw is so low - could that be anything like what's going on now?
Will see what PSUs I can get at my local Microcenter...

Sigh...my current PSU Enermax MaxRevo 1350W *is* Haswell compatible (DC-to-DC, etc.).

Sigh...my current PSU Enermax MaxRevo 1350W *is* Haswell compatible (DC-to-DC, etc.).

So you're not happy that you have modern unit? :devilish:

As I said in my first post, start from PSU as it's least hassle to replace, eventually if you can borrow another CPU it would give us additional data points (maybe some cheap i3 or even Pentium?).

Microcenter has a Corair AX1200 Gold so I'll give that a shot. It's fully modular including the big 24-pin ATX (edited as I typed 24v before LOL) bundle so it should be an easy test (won't even have to pull the old wires from their routing if I don't want to). Don't worry I won't "borrow and return" - I can always use it at the office when another server PSU goes out ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Microcenter has a Corair AX1200 Gold so I'll give that a shot. It's fully modular including the big 24-pin ATX (edited as I typed 24v before LOL) bundle so it should be an easy test (won't even have to pull the old wires from their routing if I don't want to). Don't worry I won't "borrow and return" - I can always use it at the office when another server PSU goes out ;)

Good! I hope it will be as easy as swapping one brick with another :)

So I guess we will know the results by Monday then?

Good! I hope it will be as easy as swapping one brick with another :)

So I guess we will know the results by Monday then?

Yep...and silly me might have ordered a Z77 MB too :p (just in case) but that won't be here until late next week...not looking forward to a W7 reinstall however...

Microcenter has a Corair AX1200 Gold so I'll give that a shot.
I'd suggest the Corsair "i" series, it has fully digital voltage regulation monitored and managed by a DSP/microcontroller, giving exceedingly stable output voltages with very low ripple and other noise.

I have the 1150i, and it's great, well, there's some buzzing coilwhine when loaded, but my ears tend to filter that out. These power supplies tend to score extremely high in every test I've read, and with good reason apparantly. You also get corsairlink for hardware monitoring, but I find it to be pretty gimmicky and somewhat glitchy. Still, it's there, if you want to check the volts, or how many amps each rail of your PSU outputs etc...

Okay, this can't be good.
I hope some of my helpful B3D trouble-shooter friends are still online...

The new Corsair 1200W PSU won't start when plugged into the the motherboard. It will suck the AC line low enough for my UPS to beep and then turn off.

My old Thermaltake 850W does the exact same thing when plugged into this motherboard.

My MaxRevo 1350W, however, will power up.

W T F ?

It's like the other two have some sort of over-current protection that kicks in but the MaxRevo does not.

Any ideas??

I have had old power supplies with what looked like the same modular cables, but were apparently wired differently. When I would use a sata power cable from the old PS, it would turn on then shut down.

You mentioned not having to change the cables, so I thought I would mention that.

I have had old power supplies with what looked like the same modular cables, but were apparently wired differently. When I would use a sata power cable from the old PS, it would turn on then shut down.

You mentioned not having to change the cables, so I thought I would mention that.

I changed the cables. They weren't compatible plugs on the PSU side between the MaxRevo and the Corsair. Perhaps the MaxRevo simply has a more graceful (slow) power up that doesn't starve the circuit of current. I can try on another circuit in the house I suppose.

Bypass the UPS and see what happens. Like I said, big caps in some PSUs, so inrush current could trigger your UPS's overcurrent protection, which would prevent the PSU from starting up, naturally...

Your current PSU may have (stricter) inrush current limiter that allows it to start up even when plugged into your UPS.

Of course, if you need the UPS to prevent the computer from crashing when your dirty house powerline surges/dips, then you're SOL with this new power supply...

It's worse than all that. It's not the UPS...I also have a line filter and can bypass the UPS and even ran a heavy duty extension cord to another part of the house.

I can get the PSU to power up with fan and get motherboard lights if I use the six pins of a PCI-E cable to go to the 8-pin extra motherboard/CPU power socket. 8 pins and you just get a PSU click, no fan on the PSU, no lights. So that sounds like good news, I'll just use the PCI-E connector...only once you connect one PCI-E GPU you're back to click-no-fan world.

For whatever reason it would appear that this motherboard is asking for more current than this PSU will give so it clicks itself off (short circuit protection). Thing is I know there's no short circuit - or at least not much of a current if there is one - because the other PSU works and there was never a massive watt draw (okay, well it was 4.5 GHz + 2x GTX680s, but you know what I mean).

Last thing I can try is a BIOS reset in the hopes that my aggressive PWM control on the VRMs has some impact, but that's reaching. Plus this motherboard is the old jumper cmos reset ant it's a pain to get to owing to the second GPU and water cooling...sigh...maybe tomorrow after my bike ride. It's finally going to be over freezing so I'm definitely outside on the bike for 3-4 hours. Need to burn some calories.

Question: Have you tried running just one GPU and seeing what happens?

I have an Asus mobo and once in a while I see the Asus mobo software in Window popup complaining about power(idle power that you mention I guess) but luckily no reboots so it hasn't bothered me. I have a 2600k and Z68 Mobo.

You know... That's so random a fault I don't know where to start.

Ok, reaching like hell here: how are power to the PSU rails distributed? If ATX connector and/or CPU aux connector and/or GPUs feed from the same rail maybe you get OCP... *shrug* On the other hand, modern high-wattage PSUs usually allow such high currents per "rail" (typically just one internal 12V source, split up across the various jacks on the front) that it's essentially unpossible to hit the limit at *bootup*...

Something's seriously out of wack with that mobo I'd say. I don't think it's PSU OCP at all (as computers don't draw all that much at bootup.) I think it's the mobo causing this, shutting the PSU off for some reason. But, don't ask me why it works with your current PSU and not the new one or your other old unit. The six-pin-versus-8-pin to the CPU aux jack may be an indicator to what is happening, but indicator of what I don't really know. :D

It be that Mize doesn't have the 4 pin connector connected to the mobo? There's a 24pin and a 4 pin connecter that should be connected to the mobo.

But he seems tech savvy enough to know about that.

I'll tell you this...I think I'm shying away from Corsair PSUs in the future. Not that they're bad, but I was pulling specs to try to figure out the issue and Enermax not only tells you that they have over-current and under voltage protections (etc.) but they give you the trigger points...I can't find where Corsair gives any real details.

So the MaxRevo has six 12v rails (rated at 30A each) with over-current protection at 40-50A while the Corsair has a single 12v rail rated at 100.4 A and no trigger specified.

Ah well...this sucks. Bike ride in 2.5 hours at least...no rain until afternoon.

You can always try to fool your PSU with Green/Black cable trick (short-circuit ATX connector pins with green and any of black cables) and force PSU boot up.
If it's your motherboard cutting off power then this should override it. Not sure how modern PSU's will react but it still should work just fine. I'm surprised that you had 850W old PSU and didn't tell us about it :)

What do you mean by trigger points? Ah, ok nvm got it.

However, the Corsair (Flextronix) PSU you got is single rail design and hence it will have higher tolerances to basically anything. If the Enermax's unit protections were not triggered, it's safe to say neither were Corsair's (unless malfunctions , of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well either the MB or the PSU is shutting things off. We know from UPS that the Corsair is pulling enough current to throw the UPS but the MaxRevo is not. That alone is pretty strange. The Corsair could be kicking in an undervoltage/undercurrent protection also...Only reason for the MB to switch off is if it's not getting power with x seconds, but this is super immediate...

Open to any suggestions. For now I know the Corsair goes back as it's no help so far. I found a newer MaxRevo (EWT version) online and might order that (NVM, I thing the 1350EWT is the same as what have already). Sigh.

Quick question...could these symptoms - which I think is a large initial 12v current demand - be caused by failing vrms or caps?

Note that the maxrevo allows for very high current before triggering ocp (up to 50A/rail) whiles the Corsair and Ttakes are silent on trigger current. If there is an LCR low pass filter on that current draw that has degraded, could that create a spike that triggers OCP on the other PSUs?

Back