My First Radeon!

Success!!! Got the same XFX Double D 7950 card Wynix posted earlier. 925MHz core, 1250MHz memory. Been playing MWO all afternoon. So far, the OEM PS is holding up.

Success!!! Got the same XFX Double D 7950 card Wynix posted earlier. 925MHz core, 1250MHz memory. Been playing MWO all afternoon. So far, the OEM PS is holding up.
I've been playing around with mine seeing how far i can overclock it.

I clocked it to 1100/1375 and it seemed fine, then i seen in Afterburner that it was throttling like crazy(down to 850Mhz!), so now i have it @ 1050/1250 with +20% power and it doesn't throttle; Not bad for a voltage locked card.
I'm thinking about modifying it so i can go to +50% power, that should allow me to hit 1100+.

If i hadn't purchased a new 650w PSU a few months back i would be in the same position as you; I was running a OEM PSU and there is no way that thing could support my 955@3.6Ghz and this card overclocked.

I thought that card required an eight pin connector. So, this is interesting. But more importantly, congratulations on your new card!

It requires one 6 pin and one 8 pin connector. I used a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter cable, and so far it's working great. Nice card. Fairly quiet too.

Careful with overclocking.. Power consumption doesn't rise proportionally with clocks or voltage. It rises much faster.

No overclocking for me. It's fast enough for my purposes. I really am liking how quiet this card is. A consistent complaint I read about the 7900 series was noise. I guess that was mostly the 7970.

Which model 7950 did you get?

Damn, the 7950 at ~$200 is the greatest deal in recent history. Price is already heading back up to $300 and soon they will be gone forever :(

BTW I haven't had any time to play around with the 7950 since my brother has been gaming on it non-stop :LOL:. Guess there's a world of difference coming from a GTX260! He's not a stickler about max settings or high framerates, but he is amazed at how great everything looks and the constant 60FPS (his monitor is 1440x900...).

I got the same card Wynix linked to on the first page (XFX Double D). The price was $225 with a $20 (or $30?) mail in rebate (which I was too lazy to send in - it ended on 10/31 anyway). Still, a very decent price for the performance.

Absolute best value for a $200 GPU that I can recall in the last few generations.

Now at $270 the 7950 is much less attractive vs the 270X at $200. We scored like Beavis and Butthead. You can be Beavis, I'll be Butthead. Huhuh,huhuhuhuh :D

Back