my computer pwned....

Althornin

Senior Lurker
Veteran
I woke up Tuesday morning to find my computer dead.
My watercooling pump, which has been going bad (I've been meaning to replace it, but hadn't yet, seems that was a mistake) finally died. So i woke up and my computer was off. The pump has died before, and my thermal protection has worked before (either software or bios, both are enabled and working, I've tested), so i assume it turned itself off.
Either way, now, even with a HSF, i can't get no love.

When i try to power on, the power and reset lights flash on and then off once, and thats it.

I've tried a different CPU - spare old duron 600 that i have (it worked fine in this board last time i tried it, like 8 months ago) and NO cpu at all - same symptoms either way.
I've pulled all the peripherals out, the ram, cables, etc.
I've tested the PSU - seems good - It'll power a fan, at least. I need to test it with a spare PSU i've got.

So i figure its the motherboard, maybe.

Any other ideas? The motherboard is an abit kr7a-raid.
Any ideas for a decent replacement, that would not require me to purchase new ram? My current ram is DDR 2100, for the 266Mhz FSB stuff.

I was hopeing to hold off on a new system until after AMD and PCI-E joined up, so i am looking for a quick, cheap fix.

I've already got a new pump on the way - one of the swiftech mcp650's - has a MTBF of 50,000 hours, so it should be good to go for a while.

I guess i am lucky though - I beat Doom3 sunday night, so at least i got to do that...

Thanks,
Althornin

Have you tried to reset the CMOS? Take out the battery and all?

if you need a cheap replacement Gigabyte still make some MB on AMD760 (7DX...) higly stable, no overclocking options.

vb said:
Have you tried to reset the CMOS? Take out the battery and all?

if you need a cheap replacement Gigabyte still make some MB on AMD760 (7DX...) higly stable, no overclocking options.
yes i have...still nada

Althornin,

Super Cheap:
BIOSTAR "M7NCD PRO" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL $55

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-227&depa=1

Mostly Cheap: (no Soundstorm)
ABIT "NF7-S2" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL $69

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-185&depa=1

Overclocker: On Sale TODAY! (Soundstorm)
ABIT "NF7-S" nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL $83

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=1

I was looking at those NF7-S boards earlier - they have a good rep.
I don't need the soundstorm - but hell, i might get it anyways.
Damn computer moneypits :)
That's a good deal, a good deal indeed.
In fact, I am about to order something. The only problem is gonna be me dealing with no gaming rig for the time it takes for it to get in.
I've read bad things about the NF7-S2, and good things about the NF7-S v2 - but what about the AN7?

EDIT:
Eh, I just ordered the NF7-S v2.
I hope it works out for me.

Also check out the refurb motherboards they have on newegg. Sometimes you can pick up a refurbed board for like $30-35. It might not be the newest out there, but probably pretty good for your purposes.

Nite_Hawk

Back