Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

im feeling the anxiety here and i have a stable employer in a more sane country (employee rights wise)

i dont understand what was the point for "from" autocomplete. if they want to make it more use friendly, there should be a GUI for the "from". as normal people wont event know that they can use "from:" search operator. heck they dont even know WTF is a search operator

It wouldn't be cyber Monday without Musk making a cyber-ass of himself. :yep2:

Twitter CEO Elon Musk on Monday tried to shame Apple into giving his company more money -- but he wound up getting roundly mocked by many of his own followers.

Musk, whose chaotic tenure as CEO of Twitter has seen both mass layoffs and an exodus of advertisers, sent out a tweet on Monday afternoon in which he accused Apple of being against the First Amendment for not giving his company more money.

"Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter," he wrote. "Do they hate free speech in America?"

However, as many of Musk's followers pointed out, the First Amendment of the United States Constitution does not compel private entities to subsidize other people's speech through advertising. Rather, it guarantees that the government shall not arrest or criminally charge anyone for the simple act of non-violent speech.

The Washington Post reported Apple was the top advertiser on Twitter, spending $48m on ads on the social network in the first quarter of 2022.
Companies including Cheerios maker General Mills and Volkswagen are among the firms that have halted their spending in recent weeks.
The billionaire famously doesn't like being told what to do. And yet Apple holds all the cards when it comes to Twitter.

Firstly, as others have found out, only Apple decides who's allowed on the App Store. If Apple wanted to, it could stop Twitter from being downloaded on iPhones around the world - which would be a devastating blow for Twitter.
Not only that but Apple can also charge what it likes for the privilege of being on the App Store. For companies like Twitter, it can charge anywhere from 15-30% for in-app purchases.

That charge has been challenged in the US courts by Fortnite producer Epic Games. In 2021, the company sued over Apple's commission for access to their "walled garden", as the App Store is referred to in the case.
Lastly, Apple has the power to stop advertising on Twitter - an important source of revenue for the company.
In picking a fight with Apple, Mr Musk is wading into a wider debate over the clout that Apple wields over online activity via its app store, which is the way that iPhone owners download games and other apps. As it stands, Apple could take up to 30% of the money from the monthly fee Twitter plans to charge some users.
All companies listed in the app store have to abide by Apple's rules and pay its fees, or face removal or suspension.
Last year Apple suspended social media platform Parler from the store, saying it didn't do enough to remove hate speech.

Apple later restored Parler after the company updated its policies.

Also, I continue to love seeing this line in every Twitter related article:

Twitter did not respond to a request to comment on this story. It is unclear whether it has any communications staffers still employed after layoffs.
basically similar situation with tesla. the difference is with tesla, they already officially announced years ago that they didnt have comms dept.

I really can't fathom even some of those things are true. If all true that's just insane they were able to keep the company and the app functioning, let alone making any money.

Musk's Twitter disbands its Trust and Safety advisory group​

Elon Musk's Twitter has dissolved its Trust and Safety Council, the advisory group of around 100 independent civil, human rights and other organizations that the company formed in 2016 to address hate speech, child exploitation, suicide, self-harm and other problems on the platform.

The council had been scheduled to meet with Twitter representatives Monday night. But Twitter informed the group via email that it was disbanding it shortly before the meeting was to take place, according to multiple members.

The council members, who provided images of the email from Twitter to The Associated Press, spoke on the condition of anonymity due to fears of retaliation. The email said Twitter was “reevaluating how best to bring external insights” and the council is “not the best structure to do this.”

“Our work to make Twitter a safe, informative place will be moving faster and more aggressively than ever before and we will continue to welcome your ideas going forward about how to achieve this goal,” said the email, which was signed “Twitter.”

“Twitter’s Trust and Safety Council was a group of volunteers who over many years gave up their time when consulted by Twitter staff to offer advice on a wide range of online harms and safety issues," tweeted council member Alex Holmes. “At no point was it a governing body or decision making.”

Damn scary stuff, sorry for the size but wasn't sure how else to put it:
For years I worked on a big project covering every single role including support, bug fixing, and devops. It's been brutal and full of burnouts, but I knew every single detail of that project. Then luckily a lot of juniors have been hired to help me, and now neither I nor they know how it works.

Back