MSI finally make the jump

Pete said:
Does it use a new PCB entirely, or is it borrowed from an AIW design? I wonder if the "downgrade" to a floppy connector will limit OCing, or if the huge heatsink will aid OCing.
Yeah, noticed this a few weeks back... that's some funky component layout there. :oops: Definitely not an AIW-design tho', I bet it's a custom job.
The style of the power connectors has nothing to do with OC, it's the juice that's flowing through it what matters, right?

Well, I'm guessing the two are linked. Three-pin connector means less power means lower potential OC.

Pete said:
Well, I'm guessing the two are linked. Three-pin connector means less power means lower potential OC.
Nay, that's a four-pin FDD power connector there, just like on R300 cards.
What makes me scratch me head is the VIA chip - is that for DVI or some VIVO function?

Didn't the 9700 and 9800 cards MSI made for Medion use custom PCB designs too?
Good point. I was thinking of that, but didn't bother Googling it until now. :) There are some changes to MSI's 9800 XL PCB, which itself looks like a modified 9600TX. All three have that [torroidal convertor?] on the top left and similar capacitor groupings and power and fan connector locations.

The power connector is where the chunky analogue tuner would be placed.
I'm a little confused by this coment, Dave. What would an analogue tuner be doing on a 9800P? If you're talking about the AIW 9800P, that board looks even shorter than a typical 9800P, strangely enough.

Nay, that's a four-pin FDD power connector there, just like on R300 cards.
Sorry, I was talking out of my hoo-ha when I said the floppy connector was three-pin. And I guess using MSI's floppy-HD convertor means it'll be getting just as much power as other 9800s.

Back