MS E3 2012 conference

Actually, I find the ads on the 360's UI surprisingly unobtrusive. They've done a pretty good job balancing this issue imo.

+1....I've actually clicked on a few ads (movie trailers) out of curiosity and purchased a few XBLA games that were on sale which I wouldn't have remembered/bothered to buy. I think it would be pretty cool if they had flash sale ads for MS points.;)

On a related note the Microsoft Store's pre-order deals are very nice...given that I would not have pre-ordered Halo 4 at full price without the $25 voucher. Most retail stores only gives you bonus content but MS gives you the content AND a $25 voucher. The store is in "My Pins" in my dashboard now. They have pre-order deals on non MS published games as well which I think is very generous of them.

With that said...when the hell is SmartGlass going to be released on iOS???:mad:

+1....I've actually clicked on a few ads (movie trailers) out of curiosity and purchased a few XBLA games that were on sale which I wouldn't have remembered/bothered to buy. I think it would be pretty cool if they had flash sale ads for MS points.;)

Well, that's my point. I don't have any issues with ads for content in the service I am paying for. But outside, very annoying. I don't really buy that the service needs the money either. It's just additional profit. In these cases, I would simply (as always, really) hope that perhaps next gen they'd give an honest option in terms of cash how much more I would have to pay to get rid of ads.

On a related note the Microsoft Store's pre-order deals are very nice...given that I would not have pre-ordered Halo 4 at full price without the $25 voucher. Most retail stores only gives you bonus content but MS gives you the content AND a $25 voucher. The store is in "My Pins" in my dashboard now. They have pre-order deals on non MS published games as well which I think is very generous of them.

With that said...when the hell is SmartGlass going to be released on iOS???:mad:

I like that Live and PSN are doing preorder stuff now. i recently tried it on PSN, and then the game gets downloaded and installed automatically the night before launch, pretty cool. I know they're all way late with this compared to Steam though, so props to Valve for that one, really. ;) But good ideas should be copied as much as possible, always.

It works pretty well on my iPad... :)

As an aside, yesterday was my last day at Microsoft. I'm going to a startup that doesn't have anything to do with gaming, so all my info will become stale over time.

Blah blah blah, I didn't say there weren't any other options. Nor did I say this was best way to serve ads either. I'm saying quit crying about the ads. If you don't like them then don't use the box or the service & go use whatever service you do like. You always have a choice. ...

Tommy McClain

Blah blah blah. If you don't like hearing people whine about their console then stop socializing on social networks with other gamers. Stop crying about people crying. If you don't like it then don't visit gaming social networks. You always have a choice.

Ps- Consumers voicing their likes and dislikes regarding a service is one of many valuable outlets the the free market gets feedback--both for product development as well as communication between consumers who are considering a product.

Actually, I find the ads on the 360's UI surprisingly unobtrusive. They've done a pretty good job balancing this issue imo.

I like the new dashboard, especially the speeds, number of panels, and pins (about time for that feature).

What I don't like is the game home screen has too many ads and things like arcade and indie game sections don't get their own panel. Xbox Live is a gaming and media service to me first and foremost -- I don't like how adverts on the game panel have pushed indie games, arcade games, demos, and game trailers "down menu."

For the 2013 update I request we can treat the dashboard like any other OS and can select which "panels" (aka icons) we can put where. If I want Indie Games, Arcade Games, Demos, and Game Trailers on the front of my Gaming Dash panel I should get to do that.

As an aside, yesterday was my last day at Microsoft. I'm going to a startup that doesn't have anything to do with gaming, so all my info will become stale over time.

Cheers BK. But don't think this gets you out of our cheesecake deal ;)

If anyone else from MS reads this boards I would just like to point out your presence and activity were a merit to MS and their products (Xbox, Live, Kinect) and I would hope they encourage more to follow your example.

I hope you get some time to join us in some Spartan Ops and continue to hang out. Regardless of your employ you have always been a great poster and a ton of fun to play with on Live. Best of luck in your new job!!!

Nobody dislikes constructive criticism. Key words, constructive criticism. Not pointing to you, just making an observation of people's post history

Translation: Hey, I am not pointing at you... but I am :|

As for merchandising vs. advertising: from a business perspective there is a difference (promotion of internal properties or those with common business synergies versus selling consumer mindshare that may not be adventitious); from a user perspective whether you are trying to sell me Axe, WoW, or some movie or promoting you or your partner's new shiny's there is no hard and fast line other than potential interest. Ironically I am getting the same adverts but have never played any AC and so forth.

And none of that even addressed my concern that my primary uses and the screens I want most active or pushed behind adverts.

Oh, my apologies, adverts and MS MERCHANDISING. /snark

As a user who wants an efficient user interface, giving feedback, saying, "Hey, MS, seeing as I pay for Live is it really too much to ask for more control over what "bubbles" to the top. I use arcade/indie/demo screens all the time." There is a lack of control, and the "bubbling" you discuss is the bubbling up of "upsell" items and not necessarily primary used features.

Unless you also give feedback to movie theaters when you have to watch trailers before the movie you paid for starts, or complain to your cable operator that you see commercials during your ppv event, and so on, then yes, it's a double standard.

I never said anything about double standards, and I think that is both (a) a very limited perspective of market feedback that is also (b) not relevant to a social network. Most of what you outlined in this quote doesn't apply (e.g. no TV) as well as who made you chief and captain of what I value enough to comment on? Gaming is my hobby so if I am motivated for comment there and not elsewhere (meh, generic milk cartoon) calling it a double standard is the exact kind of nonsense I quipped snarkily about above.

Yes, going to the NFL's Facebook page and saying, "The commercials you slot are way out of whack and my kids won't be watching your games because of the material you find suitable for prime time" is completely acceptable. And when companies fail to change you move forward and speak with your pocketbook.

Anyways, I do tend to give feedback when it matters to me. And this is not a unique experience (e.g. first hand experience in feedback from our consumer affairs department; the rapid growth of social networks with consumer feedback, etc).

What I find chaffing is how you think it is improper to critique and comment on a companies products and what we like and don't like--and have the gall to call it some mystical double standard.

What I find a double standard would be comment on a forum about products but calling other people's opinions and feedback a double standard. Now THAT is a double standard ;)

Best of luck! Thanks for years of great, straight forward info on here and avs.

Back