MS Answers to Lumines Live "mess"

22psi

Veteran
A few exerpts: (interview with Greg C. who heads the Live Arcade division)

1UP: Who sets the pricing structure for Marketplace stuff. For a game like Lumines Live, who decided to push the product this way?

Greg Canessa: That's actually done by the developer. As a platform, we provide a list of available price tiers. And we work very closely, of course, with the developer. We provide suggestions and it is a consultation between the two companies, but ultimately it is up to the developer to set the price.

1UP: Are you guys concerned about the Wild, Wild West attitude on the Marketplace right now? If something's priced in a way that people can look at it as too high, the ultimate onus of responsibility falls on you guys -- Microsoft takes the blame for it. People don't go, "Oh, well, Q Entertainment did this." They say, "It's Microsoft's fault."

GC: Well, you know, what we try to do is provide guidance as I mentioned, so Xbox Live Arcade has three available price points right now, 400, 800, and 1200 points. We provide that guidance as a platform to try to guide both the developer toward certain price points and to guide gamers' expectations in terms of what Xbox Live Arcade games should cost. And that obviously benefits everyone so that it's not this open, to your point, Wild, Wild West sort of approach where there's all sorts of available price points. There is a broader range of price points available for Xbox Live Marketplace in terms of those types of contents, although there are price tiers and pricing recommendations for certain types of content. So, for instance, gamer pics and themes are one of a couple of different available price points, whereas premium downloadable content is really that sort of add-on content for your retail games and for your arcade games; that's sort of the broadest range.

Because it really depends on sort of what the experience is, right? If it's a level, it's sort of, "OK, it's not that big; alright, we can charge maybe this for it," versus a more extensive update is worth maybe a little higher price.

To your point, it really is a partnership and this is a new business. As we've talked about before, as you guys have written about before, this is a new space. And we're still trying to feel our way through -- the development and publishing community's trying to figure out what things cost and what's a good price point for what.

It's unfortunate that some people just sort of take the approach of, "oh, blame Microsoft first for everything;" that's not really constructive. Really what we're hoping is that people will take a look at what we're trying to do and we're trying to price things -- and the developers are trying to price things for what they think is a good price point for the development investment they've put into this content. Remember, this stuff costs money to make. And we're sort of working our way through it. The gamers, as a whole, have reacted extremely well to Marketplace and, of course, Arcade. You know about Arcade, but, you know, for Marketplace, we have over 1,500 pieces of content in Marketplace; we have over 70 million downloads. Clearly, there is a lot of stuff that's resonating with gamers. I know there's some people that are frustrated from time to time about a particular piece of add-on content, but, on balance, the market has voted with their feet and they love the thing. So, you know, I'm pretty optimistic about it. And if there are kinks, we'll work out the kinks.

more here:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154621

A few exerpts: (interview with Greg C. who heads the Live Arcade division)

more here:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154621
The biggest problem with the Lumines Live pricing is consumer confusion which will lead to anger. Unfortunately for MS, they will get poor feedback if they attempt to extrapolate sales of Lumines Live and it's add-ons as a referendum on their pricing model. That is to say, if sales are brisk, consumers may still feel hoodwinked and avoid Arcade Live titles in the future due to mistrust.

I agree in general with the concept; I'm a big fan of creating a game in the impulse purchase range of under $20 and being able to expand it with add-ons. But I think they messed this one up on the delivery.

I also agree that this is all new so missteps are expected; but the bottom line is there isn't much room for error, not with Sony's online offering a few weeks away.

The biggest problem with the Lumines Live pricing is consumer confusion which will lead to anger. Unfortunately for MS, they will get poor feedback if they attempt to extrapolate sales of Lumines Live and it's add-ons as a referendum on their pricing model. That is to say, if sales are brisk, consumers may still feel hoodwinked and avoid Arcade Live titles in the future due to mistrust.

I agree in general with the concept; I'm a big fan of creating a game in the impulse purchase range of under $20 and being able to expand it with add-ons. But I think they messed this one up on the delivery.

I also agree that this is all new so missteps are expected; but the bottom line is there isn't much room for error, not with Sony's online offering a few weeks away.

I believe Sony's online offerings will have the same problems. You might see the actual $ amount rather than points but since its still up to the individual publishers to set the prices there will still be companies that charge "too much" for items. It isn't a Microsoft problem but a "new market" problem for the publishers.

edit: Blaming MS for the pricing of arcade games is like blaming Best Buy for the price of the PS3 or Xbox360.

I believe Sony's online offerings will have the same problems. You might see the actual $ amount rather than points but since its still up to the individual publishers to set the prices there will still be companies that charge "too much" for items. It isn't a Microsoft problem but a "new market" problem for the publishers.
True, but at least in the offering from Sony you will be able to see exactly how much they are charging in a real world currency.

If you can see game a is going to cost you $35 as opposed to 2100 marketplace points you will know if you are getting the shaft or not.

True, but at least in the offering from Sony you will be able to see exactly how much they are charging in a real world currency.

I dont think the problem was that it was 1200 pts... it was that is being sold in parts, and that 1200 pts gets you the base game... which is not that bad at that price anyway, but if you want more skins, or more puzzles you have to buy more packs.. and they didnt specify that in the game description. If they had said it, then it wouldnt have been such a big deal.

If you can see game a is going to cost you $35 as opposed to 2100 marketplace points you will know if you are getting the shaft or not.

I think there's a good and bad thing to the points system.

Bad: Just like you said, most consumers will not be conscientious enough to determine what exactly will it cost them in terms of points per dollar.

Good: You can buy points on sale. Like for example, Best Buy has a deal right now where you buy any 360 game and you can purchase 1600 pts for $5. For gamers savvy like us, that'll give you much more purchasing power. Think of it as marketplace games/items going on sale.

Back to the topic: I think as consumers if we don't voice our opinion now (early), companies such as makers of Lumines, EA, etc will try to "test" the market and nickel and dime their way. I can forsee this happening with all three MS, Sony (GT: HD anyone), and Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm wondering is if Microsoft isn't partly responsible for this anyway, because didn't they set the limitation that a publisher can only sell 50mb worth of game at a time through Live Arcade? The original PSP version (U.S.) was around 140mb or more. However, that was on the PSP, which runs in 272p widescreen rather than 720p widescreen. ;)

Most of that data would go into the skins. So to get it in one pack, they would need two downloads anyway, even if they magically had been able to keep the size the same as the PSP version.

But it is also clear that the publisher itself is experimenting. With the AI and puzzle packs (or whatever they are), they are just testing the waters for what they can do with the PS3 and maybe even Wii versions. Though then again, maybe these come with comparable sets of skins and take a lot of space also.

What I'm wondering is if Microsoft isn't partly responsible for this anyway, because didn't they set the limitation that a publisher can only sell 50mb worth of game at a time through Live Arcade? The original PSP version (U.S.) was around 140mb or more. However, that was on the PSP, which runs in 272p widescreen rather than 720p widescreen. ;)

Most of that data would go into the skins. So to get it in one pack, they would need two downloads anyway, even if they magically had been able to keep the size the same as the PSP version.

But it is also clear that the publisher itself is experimenting. With the AI and puzzle packs (or whatever they are), they are just testing the waters for what they can do with the PS3 and maybe even Wii versions. Though then again, maybe these come with comparable sets of skins and take a lot of space also.

Yeah I forgot about that 50mb limit thingy (is that confirmed?). I hope MS ups that limit (if true) to something more such as 250-500mb?

edit: Blaming MS for the pricing of arcade games is like blaming Best Buy for the price of the PS3 or Xbox360.
But blaming Microsoft is exactly what happens, and it would be naive to think that Microsoft exerts no pressures on publishers when it comes to pricing. So right or wrong, Microsoft is responsible to make sure consumers are happy with the service.

And yes, Sony will have the exact same problem, only they're in a position of market dominance so they can afford to make simple mistakes, since they have a large built-in base. I do not believe Microsoft is in the same position to make simple mistakes.

File size has no effect, as they could easily sell the base unit for 800 MSP and then add content on top of this.

I was going to buy it until i realised how little i got for 1200 MSP, when you pay £17 for an XBL arcade game you expect to have the whole game, well at least i do.

I'm all for additional content, but the way they have done this is not much different than releasing an unfinished game with content being added as an after thought.

Except in this case the extra content is available from the release date, it's kind of bizarre is you ask me.

I was going to buy it until i realised how little i got for 1200 MSP, when you pay £17 for an XBL arcade game you expect to have the whole game, well at least i do.
£17? I thought 1200 MSPs was $15. IS the £>MSP<$ rate really greater than 2:1?

These aren't too bad, since they don't give anything you don't get in the normal course of the game. Essentially paying for cheat codes, which I never really use unless I'm renting the game.

Exactly. Its just like how people pay for money in MMORPGs.

Back