MS _finally_ hosting games? Halo 2?

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Anyone else wonder if MS is hosting Halo 2 games a la Socom 2? Given the unorthodox 'battleground' game search feature, and that the games are pretty much lag free I really have to wonder if MS finally bit the bullet and decided to do what was necessary to make Halo 2 a hit online?

are they running dedicated game servers? nope. But why would that be required to make Halo 2 an online success?

They are getting about 350,000 unique users playing close to a million matches a day. That sounds like an online success ;)

Least they could do considering that they will rake it in with Halo2.

Not to mention the fact that they charge for XBL while SOCOM2 is free.

Does the Xbox and PS2 APIs have codes for writing server-side code?

What kind of hardware would host these console games? Is the server code running some instance of the game or just some transaction powerhouse that just routes packets between console clients running the games?

Least they could do considering that they will rake it in with Halo2.

But honestly what does this have to do with anything? I mean it doesn't necessarily change the way the game is played. Also people host games so they can change the rules as they please.

Not to mention the fact that they charge for XBL while SOCOM2 is free.

You could say the charge is for the removal of cheaters. I'd gladly pay for that.

Does the Xbox and PS2 APIs have codes for writing server-side code?

It depends on what you mean. Xbox live is an API in a sense that you woud have to hook into even if your game used game servers or not. Sony also has a loosely created API, but not specifically for somehting like this. The server side code will be up to the developer to create (if they really need to). I still don't see why you would need a physical server for a game like this. What benefit does it buy you? what about creating your own custom games?

What kind of hardware would host these console games? Is the server code running some instance of the game or just some transaction powerhouse that just routes packets between console clients running the games?

It all depends on how many players you want to support per server and the requirement of that game. sometimes you are running an instance of a game onthe server side (for instance an AI client that spawns AI within an arena) however that it a pretty complicated soloution IMO.

I'd play $50 a year just to play Halo 2 online, let alone all the other great games for Live like DoA:U, GR2, SC:pT, and MechAssault 2.

I don't care about the hosting issue, because Halo 2 plays beautifully online and I feel I absolutely got my money's worth from Live.

MS has been hosting games since Live came out, not for Halo2 but games with dedicated server options tend to have MS X-Servers.

Halo 2 is a great example of p2p working out well.

What needs to happen is more upload speed from DSL and Cable providers. The 128k standard needs to be tripled to 384k.

I really like LIVE. It's a great service well worth the money. Microsoft hit a homerun with LIVE.

I get 256k up on my cable which suits up to 10 players fine, and for a bit more I can upgrade to 3m/512k which is bound to handle all 16 slots full.

kyleb said:
I get 256k up on my cable which suits up to 10 players fine, and for a bit more I can upgrade to 3m/512k which is bound to handle all 16 slots full.
Don't you think it is a little bit weird, that you pay for a online gaming service and then you have to host your own games?

ChryZ said:
kyleb said:
Don't you think it is a little bit weird, that you pay for a online gaming service and then you have to host your own games?

You can host your own games, but there is automated matchmaking as well.

no, I'm not really suprised. I honestly don't care about little things like that. If a service does it's job and lets me hook up with friends and I enjoy its features, then it's worth the price of a single game each year.

Do you think MS covers its XBL costs with its current pricing?

Or is the current pricing kept relatively low because MS needs to keep XBL churn down and grow the subscriber base? Especially in the face of a rival with a bigger market share which is not charging for online games?

Because really, it would be technically possible to make online games for the Xbox while bypassing XBL entirely, wouldn't it?

wco81 said:

Or is the current pricing kept relatively low because MS needs to keep XBL churn down and grow the subscriber base? Especially in the face of a rival with a bigger market share which is not charging for online games?

Because really, it would be technically possible to make online games for the Xbox while bypassing XBL entirely, wouldn't it?

If you think Microsoft makes a profit out of Xbox Live you're terribly, terribly wrong... They are taking heavy losses for years, which are now nearing almost 3 billion dollar. Only a juggernaut like Microsoft can keep this up.

Yes I think the amount of money MS is spending on xbox live outweighs how much they are collecting from it.

Technically possible? yes. Would MS approve a game that did that? no. I don't see the benefit you'd get from bypassing xbox live other than it being free. Xbox live isn't that expensive and it's worth teh fee just to keep the hacking cheaters from wrecking the experience.

A few other questions: are all X-Box games LAN capable or are they LIVE-only games? What will happen in the future with those games? How long will MS support those X-Box (1) LIVE-only games? Will they die some day, never to be played online again?

That was my point.

I didn't think $50 a year covered it.

Even though they don't have dedicated servers to host games. :p

Like I said, if Sony wasn't free, they might have been more likely to try to raise their prices a bit.

But I don't know how much they could raise it before a lot of gamers decide they're asking too much.

Evil_Cloud said:
wco81 said:

If you think Microsoft makes a profit out of Xbox Live you're terribly, terribly wrong... They are taking heavy losses for years, which are now nearing almost 3 billion dollar. Only a juggernaut like Microsoft can keep this up.

If maintaining XBL servers and taking subscriptions had caused such a huge loss, all MMORPG would go out of business.

If someone distributes an XBL emulator just like some Blizzard server project which was sued IIRC, the XBL profit diminishes anyway, but a profit is still a profit though it may be smaller. Then the net loss grows bigger.

I don't know about cheaters but there are a lot of "cheesers" on XBL from what I heard. A single screen name doesn't deter people from behaving badly and the feedback system doesn't apparently put enough of a stigma on bad characters.

EA is trying its Premium Pass thing, which is basically an underhanded way to collect billing info.

But that will no more guarantee that people won't try to cheat or behave poorly.

ChryZ said:
A few other questions: are all X-Box games LAN capable or are they LIVE-only games? What will happen in the future with those games? How long will MS support those X-Box (1) LIVE-only games? Will they die some day, never to be played online again?

Is this what you want? ;)
http://www.xbconnect.com/

Yes I think the amount of money MS is spending on xbox live outweighs how much they are collecting from

OPPs sorry man. I totally typed that backwards. I think the amount MS is collecting out weighs the aount they are spending keeping live running. I've been saying this since those intial numbers regarding how much it costs to develop live were floating around (some websites claimed 500 million - 1 billion for live) and I simply couldn't see it costig that much.

The costs for running a service like xbox live aren't all that differnt thwn runinig services for A MMORPG. You pay for the bandwidth needed to access data in the database, updates and content downloads, but you don't have to pay for bandwidth connected to running your own "game" servers. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if xbox live didn't cost as much as everquest to keep it running.

Not all live games come with lan. Lan play is an option developers can provide outside of xbox live. It's not a part of the service however.

Back