Movie Reviews 2.0

That video is somewhat creepy. Why is it missing Sweden on the map at 1 minute, if it's about missing Finland?, not that I'm complaining, it looks beautiful that way :)

Perhaps we are drifting a bit off topic though...

Tolkien didn't agree.
But wait a minute, what's the name of the Swedish national epic? Is it called "There Is None"?

Well said, perhaps I shouldn't have sold us so short, sometimes I'm just too modest :)

Saw Cowboys & Aliens today, wasn't too shabby, but not great either. Good actors lift it a bit 3.5/5.

I just watched girl with the dragon tatoo
Am I the only person in the world not enamored with this film ?
went on far too long and the first hour was pretty dull

Saw warrior, great film, good human interest / beat the crap out of people combo.

I will second this. If you even remotely liked Rocky I would recommend this. The story is well told, imo, and you kind of are pulled into the dilemma of forgiveness that each individual faces. The fights are solid action, and there is quite a bit of it actually. I don't know how I would rate Warrior (9 out of 10?) but easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I will make sure to re-watch it before my Zune rental expires tomorrow night, which is rare for me.

The characters are a bit bland to me. I hoped for a bit more mature cast, or at least a wider age selection. The crew of Nostromo in the Alien movie was an almost perfect cast for the setting. I don't hold high hopes for the music score, though from all the previous work of Scott I have rather high expectation. It will always call for a comparison with the original, and for me the music in any production is the "soul" of the movie -- it can make a unique memorable experience or just pass as a background noise.

Huhh? Fassbender, Theron not mature enough for you? Haven't seen Rapace in anything yet but I'm sure Scott had a reason to chose her over Portman and Arterton... then there's Guy Pierce, Idris Elba, all proven actors with some pretty good roles behind them.

Yeah music is unknown, the chilling one used in all trailers is not from the composer, but Scott has worked with the guy on several movies by now.

Anyway, it was a long time since a movie got me this excited. And I'm also scared a bit, I don't have a strong stomach, so it will definitely be an interesting ride for me ;)

Terminator: Salvation. 7/10. Likely because I was expecting it to be Wolverine bad but it actually was pretty entertaining.
Ok, just got around to seeing this (I usually don't have time for movies) but I was expecting something... horrible. I also found it entertaining for an action flick. As an aside, I hope Christian Bale's voice recovers before he makes another movie... this and TDK... ouch.

Ok, just got around to seeing this (I usually don't have time for movies) but I was expecting something... horrible. I also found it entertaining for an action flick. As an aside, I hope Christian Bale's voice recovers before he makes another movie... this and TDK... ouch.

I hated it. 5/10 for me. The story was only vaguely interesting. The acting horrid. I guess if you come relatively clean to this movie, it could score higher, but personally I couldn't get to grips with the character flip-flopping from the strong personality he was in T1 and T2, to the rather weak (in every way, voice, clothes, image, acting ...), bland figure in Salvation.

I just couldn't handle that at all. The transformation of the main character from T1 to T2 was so incredibly strong, so fantastic. She got stronger mentally, fysically, and even her acting was better (good contrast when she meets the old traumatic enemy for the first time again in T2, not knowing he's there to help - really memorable performance by Linda Hamilton all round, loved it.

I hated it. 5/10 for me. The story was only vaguely interesting. The acting horrid. I guess if you come relatively clean to this movie, it could score higher, but personally I couldn't get to grips with the character flip-flopping from the strong personality he was in T1 and T2, to the rather weak (in every way, voice, clothes, image, acting ...), bland figure in Salvation.

Who are you actually referring to here? John Connor?

I am curious, too, as John Connor is not in the first movie, he is a mouthy kid in 2, pretty much 20 something transient wimp in 3 who is half convinced his mother was totally nuts. In 4 he is a strong platoon leader, not yet ascended to leadership at the beginning of the movie, but he believes. I didn't think the acting in T:S was great but if you go back to the others they don't have great casts. Some good performances by some, but not great overall (with maybe the exception of 2 which is just a great sci fi action flick all around). T:S isn't really deep as a story which probably hurts it a bit as it is more focused on characters that, outside of Marcus, don't develop a lot. It does push the story forward and gives a "landmark" for where the characters are at and when they were introduced. For those reasons I found it interesting. And since I was expecting something horrible I found the action and the basic story setting to be ok.

Yeah I do mean John Connor. And yes, in the first movie he is the leader of the resistance and he sends back his father to defend his mother (which is hilarious, and I hate stories that have back-in-time travelling storylines generally ;) ). In the second he listens to guns 'n roses riding on a mopedbike, hacks atm machines, has a voice in transition to being low and manly, has a nose with promise and has a 'tude. It's near impossible for me to imagine the Salvation John to be a natural evolution, and they make no effort to convince me of an unnatural one.

Back