Movie Reviews 2.0

I saw it yesterday and I think it worked on me more than it should've because of two factors. Yesterday was my 50th b-day and I was feeling pensive about life, so a movie that relies heavily upon time (dilated and relative) felt appropriate. And my daughter is 11 and I kept putting myself in Cooper's perspective. I remember standing over her in her crib when she wasn't quite 1 and wondering aloud to my wife how long she'll live, what can of life she'll have, how will she die, etc. And that also came to mind while watching the movie.

Yep I have to agree Interstellar was very good. In couple scenes I cringed a bit, but there was certainly more than enough to offset those moments.

edit: Oh yeah congratulations Mr. Reynolds!

Last edited:
I saw it yesterday and I think it worked on me more than it should've because of two factors. Yesterday was my 50th b-day and I was feeling pensive about life, so a movie that relies heavily upon time (dilated and relative) felt appropriate. And my daughter is 11 and I kept putting myself in Cooper's perspective. I remember standing over her in her crib when she wasn't quite 1 and wondering aloud to my wife how long she'll live, what can of life she'll have, how will she die, etc. And that also came to mind while watching the movie.

Happy birthday - 50 is the new 40 don't you know?

AWWWWWWWW

Wow ok I'm definitely going to have to see it in IMAX. Anyone see it in a 70mm theatre?

I couldn't stop thinking of 2001: A Space Odyssey while watching Interstellar. Lots of similarities, but Interstellar is much more identifiable for most people I imagine. More exciting and meaningful or whatever.
I also noticed that it was a really conservative, basically small-town-experience. It was weird that the rest of the planet wasn't involved for example.

Hans Zimmer's music made me think of a few Halloween movies. ;) I think that is more 2001 inspiration.

Last edited:
Yep I have to agree Interstellar was very good. In couple scenes I cringed a bit, but there was certainly more than enough to offset those moments.

The movies' premise is weak
Unsolvable ecological disaster; Building a greenhouse at Saturn (after going to a different galaxy) is a lot harder than building one on earth.
If you accept the premise, the movie is fairly good. As you say, a few cringe worthy moments: "I can sling shot around that neutron start" (no you f*cking can't), towering waves in shallow waters, and who cast Matt Damon as a bad guy ? (that didn't work at all).

Cheers

towering waves in shallow waters
Cheers
I've been wondering about that. I wonder what the thought process was. Surely related to the gravitational aspects if the system. Was the entire planet water? I don't remember. We don't know if it was all shallow. I imagine I could find lots of discussion about this movie on a forum somewhere.....

Well in theory there wouldn't be any water where they're standing, as the shallow waters would have retracted as the humongous wave came in, but hey it's a different planet so how 'accurate' can you be?

For the record, in going to see the movie again tomorrow, this time one a huge 4k screen - first time was a vanilla screen that left me wanting more. Yes it's a date. And he doesn't know I've already seen it. So what.

For the record, in going to see the movie again tomorrow, this time one a huge 4k screen - first time was a vanilla screen that left me wanting more. Yes it's a date. And he doesn't know I've already seen it. So what.

If you start faking it now, you'll have to fake it always.

If you start faking it now, you'll have to fake it always.
I know. I don't even know how I'll manage to keep the act going with a straight face. I'll have to act shocked at the pivotal moments and of course relatively clueless about what is going on even though not only I saw the movie before but I subsequently read explanations online to really clarify the most difficult parts...

I bet that other dude has already seen it too and acts shocked even better than LB during the movie.
That would be so hilarious.
To be honest I'm MUCH more excited to see Interstellar on a huge 4K screen, than the date itself. Which to me is not a date. It's NOT a date, OK?!

Last edited:
Just watched John Wick yesterday. Great movie if you like lots of gun action, blood, and gore. Actually, although it is violent, it isn't focusing too much on that (it isn't glorifying the violence). The movie pace is steady as in it pretty much non stop action once the action starts and it maintain the pace through the end. So in a way, it's a bit different than most action movie that usually has a big ending.

Just watched John Wick yesterday. Great movie if you like lots of gun action, blood, and gore. Actually, although it is violent, it isn't focusing too much on that (it isn't glorifying the violence). The movie pace is steady as in it pretty much non stop action once the action starts and it maintain the pace through the end. So in a way, it's a bit different than most action movie that usually has a big ending.
I saw it too. It was decent entertainment. I liked it more than Denzel Washington's similar Equalizer.

Watched Interstellar on Saturday.
Quick summary: Incredibly loud, incredibly long, and incredibly dull. Didn't really work for me, even though there's some really good stuff in there. I really liked the elliptical narration in the 30 minutes or so. Lots of neat little touches like the rewritten history books for the sake of encouraging farming over thinking, and you can never have enough John Lithgow in your movie as far as I'm concerned (great baseball moment) Mac-some'ing-some'ing (not even gonna try to spell the name) undermines once again that he was clearly meant for more than being the pretty face on the poster of a chick flick. Jessica Chastain is doing the best with what she's been given too. Anne Hathway is suffering through a bad case of "woman character script" unfortunately. I really enjoyed how the film treated the concept of time as a relative measurement too, even though it meant wasting another actor for just that.

I think the problems I have with this movie can all be attributed to a case of wrong guy for the job. This was originally a script for Spielberg, and it really does show. Nolan's attempts to balance science with pathos just don't work. He's a master at making ludicrous plot machinations sound believable, but dealing with characters and emotions just isn't his strength. He always seems to hit you over the head with half-assed space slinging techno babble when he should be picking up the pace and go for emotional punches, and when he does attempt to bring some heart to his detached and cold blockbuster machination, the results either ring hollow or come across as a bit ridiculous, if not slightly offensive (
So an esteemed scientist would be willing to put her earth saving mission at risk because of some power of love nonsense. Why? - I guess it's because she's a woman character
) .

I also don't get why everyone is so blown away by the visuals. Maybe some painfully slow deep space docking maneuvers would have been a sight to behold in a pre-Gravity era of cinema, but I'm not really sure about that either. Cool robots, though.

Soundtrack was your typical overwrought and all-suffocating Zimmer stuff.

Last edited:
So an esteemed scientist would be willing to put her earth saving mission at risk because of some power of love nonsense. Why? - I guess it's because she's a woman character
But in the end she wanted to go to that planet first because it was the most promising, and it was!!

Back