Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PS3+Move for family; WiiHD ;)

• Would buy Move for family but it's too expensive

• Would buy Move for me (+ family) but it's too expensive

• Total voters
As for boxing, I was skeptical about The Fight and still don't think it looks great, but it is interesting to notice that the game has changed its control method from gesture recognition to 1 to 1 motion, which is good, because that was the first thing people (including me) complained about when it was first unveiled. Will need to review well to even be considered by me though, and I'd have to know more about Fight Night Champions and it's motion support first.

I thought they started with 1-1 tracking first and then layer gesture tracking on top ? The gestures stood out because they are much more difficult to implement, but easier to execute than 1-1 tracking (if implemented correctly). The devs denied gestures first because that's their key contribution.

However gestures have their own lag issues despite being more noob friendly. Did I get it right ?

Keyboard and mouse substitute is an interesting idea also. Would love to test with an RTS game and an adventure/action title.

Too bad there is no news on big XMB changes to support Move though.

EDIT:
I'll most likely get a sub controller for my kid.

I may try it, but honestly the idea of seeing the reflection of glowing balls on the TV screen is a complete turn-off for me.

Reflections annoy me at the best of times, but I'll only turn on certain lights when game playing to eradicate it. Obviously with Move that won't be possible, which is a real immersion killer.

That's a good point. Never thought of light ball reflection. Is it a problem during E3 demoes ? As in did the bright spot obscure the on-screen details ?

If Dead Space 2 is better with move than with the standard X360 controller, I'll buy it for that alone. The precision with this sounds promising, so it might be useful in games that I like.

Shifty why didn't you add that option?!
:)

Why not get the PS3 version anyway and get Dead Space Extraction free? It doesn't require move, and it's a great deal.

As for move, I'm in day 1 for a wand to finally finish Resident Evil 5, and hopefully play DS2 with Move.

Why not get the PS3 version anyway and get Dead Space Extraction free? It doesn't require move, and it's a great deal.

As for move, I'm in day 1 for a wand to finally finish Resident Evil 5, and hopefully play DS2 with Move.

I am not a very big fan of DS thumbstick layout or R2,L2 buttons, but if extraction proves to be a great on move, I might get both versions. Trading one for another e.g.

The reason I'm quite excited about Move is because I expect it to be a huge upgrade on DS3. I've waited Sony to Upgrade their main method of controlling games for nearly 10 years.

Alright, I'll get MP3.

I suspect the problems we had with Wii pointer may be due to distance (too close), but we shall see.
I've noticed a tendency of the sensor bar to slide backwards over time when it sits on top of my screen. When it's far enough back that the upper edge of the screen case starts covering the IR LEDs (from the perspective of the remote, which is usually lower), all sorts of weird things start to happen.

Bottom line: keep your sensor bar pulled out to the edge of your TV. You can also calibrate IR sensitivity, and check out the live feed of how the IR camera sees the two IR LEDs in the sensor bar. I think that's in the Wii remote options (hit "home" button). If not, Wii system options. In my totally weird case, it turned out that only one of the two LEDs was visible to the Wii remote.

Is it a problem during E3 demoes ? As in did the bright spot obscure the on-screen details ?

Honestly, I don't know. However, I'd have thought that the effects would be minimised by the displays at Expo being set-up similar to how they are in the retail environment, with high brightness and luminescence levels, which partly aid to reduce glare and reflections from those bright environments.

However, most peoples homes aren't so bright and reflections become more of an issue. Well, for me at least ;) Which is why, if I'm watching a movie or playing a game when there's bright sunlight outside, I close curtains in windows that would cause reflections. And in the evening, lights are lower and certain lights in my living area won't be turned on.

But even if they are on and I'm, say, watching a movie, then the human brain will tend to filter out those reflections quite quickly. My concern is that non-static elements, and especially those that throw off light, are less likely to be filtered out and therefore are certain to become an immersion killer and potentially an annoyance to.

So for the party-type games, where it's all about the group fun, I can't really see it being an issue due to the nature of the titles. Titles like SOCOM or Heavy Rain, where it's about immersion and being in the moment? I'm concerned.

WIth regards to your question about obscuring on-screen details, I would assume that the light thrown off is not going to be that bright (and it's definately not directionally focused as a torch would be), so that wouldn't be a concern for me I don't think. I did search youtube after your question for some E3 vids on Move, but most are either Sony promo vids or E3 vids shot at an angle to the screen which obviously doesn't show the face-on reflections.

However, there is this: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-playstation-move-latency-analysis?size=hd which kind of shows the annoying reflections of the light baubles.

However, there is this: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-playstation-move-latency-analysis?size=hd which kind of shows the annoying reflections of the light baubles.
I hadn't considered ball reflections, so I just had a little experiment. I've a Samsung matte screen here, and shining a torch at it obviously you get a light splash, but it's also too bright to look at directly. Putting a piece of paper over the end, or a couple of layers of white carrier bag, the brightness is more equivalent to what the Move balls will be like (won't blind you!) and there was no perceptible specular on the screen. My screen brightness tends to be quite low too. That Eurogamer vid is showing a gloss screen, which is going to be more problematic, but I think reflections will be pretty unnoticeable on matte screens.

That Eurogamer vid is showing a gloss screen, which is going to be more problematic, but I think reflections will be pretty unnoticeable on matte screens.

Possibly true. I also have a Samsung matt screen (though with a shiny piano-black surround) and I chose it a few years ago specifically because it was reviewed to be better than most regarding reflections. But there will still be some, with the only way to not experience them being to sit off to the left or the right of the screen.

Just found this vid which kinda highlights my concerns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZj2MENBbps&feature=related

I'm going to be getting the 250gb bundle when it comes out. Want to replace my old 80gb. It should be around £299 which is decent enough.

Doing most of my gaming on a projector in a blacked out room the light coming from Move has been a concern to me. After looking into it a little apparently the brightness of the bulb dynamicly adjust to the lighting conditions in the room, as seen by the PSEye. It remains to be seen but this has given me more confidence that the light given off by move shouldnt be too much of a problemin most situations. They are obviously aware of potential issues and are doing what they can to reduce them.

The glow appears rather mild unless in a dark room. Since it's not directional, I don't think it will cause serious reflection, especially on a matt screen. The Sony Style showrooms are not really bright. I think they are modeled after a typical home theater room. So the reflection should be noticeable if it poses a real problem.

Back