MotoGP Online Farce

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Well, I think THQ and MS's PR departments put a spin on things, saying that the "MotoGP Online Demo will unlock the XBox Live features in the retail MotoGP". Well that's just bull.

What's actually happening, is that "MotoGP Online Demo" is actually a full blown, complete, game that has most of the tracks, riders, etc. locked up. The "demo" looks for a Retail MotoGP save file on the Xbox HD, and then reads from it what tracks/riders/etc you've unlocked, which then carries over to the "demo".

That said, no magic "Play Live!" option appears in the Retail MotoGP or anything of the sort. MS/THQ are simply shipping a fully featured online (only) game that unlocks itself by looking at a save file.

THUS, there really should be absolutely no reason that Bungie, DiCE, or anyone else, can't do the same with their games. Now, Rallisport Online has already been announced, and it would seem that MS wants us to wait a year for Halo 2, but this model of "unlocking online play" seems like a very good idea (didn't SCEA do this with FreQuency online demo?).

I don't know, I think when all is said and done, a Halo Online "Demo" would probably do more for the XBL service than MechAssault and UC combined (but then again, MS won't make any money off said demo o_O ).

zurich

ps: um, if you didnt read all that, basically DON'T buy MotoGP retail for XBL, rent it for a weekend and unlock everything on Rookie :p

Back