Mortal Kombat (not a joke)

Yes I am impressed.

- SF4/SSF4 style 2D fighting with 3D visuals.
- Tag Mode
- Ridiculous & fast moves
- Absolutely Brutal

This is the MK we should've had 10 years ago !!
Only downside is the animation which is looking stiff as always. In all MK games its like, whenever I see an uppercut the character will always swing their whole arm from the shoulder joint & there will be no movement or bending from the forearm. Same case with legs, its always a full swing & rarely you'll see a bend from knees.

Will buy if the quality comes up a bit.
I already like the improved brutality--soo many fighting games coming soon. It's going to be a great year....again.

Somewhat related, but there's also a new movie trailer floating around, and it actually looks quite good. It looks quite gory, which most MK fans loved about the video games. Rumours are that it was a rejected pitch and they've released it to see what kind of attention it gets.

Somewhat related, but there's also a new movie trailer floating around, and it actually looks quite good. It looks quite gory, which most MK fans loved about the video games. Rumours are that it was a rejected pitch and they've released it to see what kind of attention it gets.

Not surprised it was rejected. The first movie was actually pretty good, but after that one it all went horribly wrong.

No it wasn't a rejected stuff...it was actually a trailer which showed the director's "vision", he wanted to impress WB studios so that they'd give the project a go.

And let me tell you, it looks pretty freaking cool !!!
Sort of like Nolan's Batman.

Yeah, I really hope this movie gets made. Not really a fan of fighting games anymore, but I grew up playing MK and SF.

Anyway, sorry to drag this thread a bit OT.

I think MK should have stuck with ever more technically better digitised sprites. maybe use a multi camera system for some rotation. It was a defining characteristic of the first 3 and just because 3D was in vogue they lost that differentiation. They could atleast source real people for models, textures and motion capture.

As for the movie concept footage I just think it isn't Mortal Kombat. It might as well be another movie, that attaching the MK name to would be a cashin move. If Enter the Dragon can be a entertaining well regarded film even tho the tournament is supplementary to infiltration then an MK movie should be able to be good. I don't consider MK a good film, it's more somewhat satisfactory if you really like MK.

No it wasn't a rejected stuff...it was actually a trailer which showed the director's "vision", he wanted to impress WB studios so that they'd give the project a go.

And let me tell you, it looks pretty freaking cool !!!
Sort of like Nolan's Batman.

I don't know. Mortal Kombat without the fantasy element doesn't really tickle my fancy.

Why dont they ever improve the animation and controls??

I don't know.. I recognize some animations from the 2002 iteration. Looked awkward then, and still does now.

Wondering if it's related to any UE3 issues this time around since the DF face off noted that MK VS DC was running at a mere 1024x576 and MOSTLY 60Hz. It's a shame really considering that MK was relatively cutting edge (especially MK4). The arcade hardware always had pretty good sound chips as I remember.

I think MK should have stuck with ever more technically better digitised sprites.
Makes you wonder why they don't do that. Technical limitations, maybe? With all the hardware these days aimed at 3D and fancy visuals, are they capable of pushing full resolution photographic sprites? Especially, at say.. (wishful thinking).. 30fps?

I would be all over a MK game like that. Hell, I'd pay the full $60 on day one for that game, and I hardly ever do that anymore. That's how much I miss the old 2D MK games.

If that does well, maybe we can get that Symphony of the Night remake I've been pining for for the last ten years.. lol.

* bump *

Is anyone playing this? Unfortunately, I bought the PS3 version, so I've been stuck offline, but I have to say, it's one of the best fighters I've played in years. Definitely the first fighter I've played seriously since VF4E. This game is THAT GOOD!

I have it and love it. The lobby system for online games could be better, but the game handles lag very well.

Still working on the story mode, can't believe how long it is. It's no SF, but MK never has been that deep, still a great fighter though.

Played and beaten Story Mode and all of the Challenge tower. Took ages to complete all.
I still haven't beaten all of the characters in single ladder and haven't touched tag ladder either.

Easily the best Fighting game story ever.
Last week I watched a few streamed matches on Team Spooky with some pretty high level players. It appears that this may be the first MK in a long time to be featured in a legitimate tournament (EVO).

Edit: Also bought everything in the Krypt.

I've finished the story mode and I'm currently at level 251 in the tower. Fighting Baraka, Sheeva, and Shao Kahn on the same bar of health is turning out to be a real pain. :)

mm... I'll wait until a price drop. Vs. Fighters really aren't my thing these days though, and the last fighter I actually owned was DOA Ultimate. :p I did spoil the story mode cut-scenes for myself though. :oops:

I'm loving it. Looking forward to playing this online. Damn you, PSN. Mad props to Netherrealm Studios here. Having such a fully featured fighting game is wonderful, especially when the PSN is down. I hope Capcom takes notice. I got Marvel VS Capcom3 for free and it's so bare bones it's ridiculous. It also doesn't teach you a god damned thing. I find the fighting system completely impenetrable, and I have played and still play a lot of fighting games. Also: Unreal Engine 3 game that doesn't look like an Unreal Engine 3 game? Never seen that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back