Monitor Dilemna

Ok guys,I have posted before on the new monitor recommend thread and I need a S-PVA panel based LCD monitor for my work qas well as connecting my ps3 and I almost bought the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP monitor, but some reviews set me thinking. A lot of people are finding a Red tinge gradient from the left to the centre of the screenand variation in brightness levels! That set me thinking for options.....

Well, The Apple Cinema displays also cost the same as Dell2408WFP and so do the Bravia TVs(I love them)

So, I am looking for a display which can double as my monitor and my gaming display connected to my PS3.

APPLE Cinema : Does it support HDCP? Isn't its contrast ratio too low. The pamphlet I got from them says 400:1, but the website says 700:1 !??:???: Also, the respose time is 14ms?!?! gaming?

Sony Bravia: I love the display, but does it display the full photoshop RGB colours? It is an S-PVA panel, but are the colours limited to NTSC TV space, or it can be used for PC work too?

Dell 2408WFP: Its not perfect as far I can find out.and I think it is overpriced too.

Oh! and I am a lighting n texture artist in a studio, so, would like my colours to be correct.

so you'll be wanting a crt then...

Sorry, I can't buy a CRT, lately due to a lot of work on monitors my eyes start paining if I work on a CRT, but LCDs are fine with me,so.....I need an LCD display.

I will Restate:

Sony Bravia: I love the display, but does it display the full photoshop RGB colours? It is an S-PVA panel, but are the colours limited to NTSC TV space, or When connected through DVI, it displays complete 8-bit colours?

Or is Dell 2408WFP the only one despite its discrepencies?

ntsc is analog so surely it supports a lot more colours than a didital monitor

ps: from my experience sony's tech support rocks, phone them up and ask

I think you're going to have a tough time to find an LCD monitor that is both color accurate and good for gaming.

I think colour would take a precedent over gaming. Suggest some.

Also, How is Sony HDTV KLV-32V300A ?http://www.sony.co.in/product/klv-32v300a/sku/klv-32v300a%2Fe32?site=hp_en_IN_i

Also, Sony says it has 92% colour NTSC gamut and the dell has 110% colour gamut CIE1931 . Which represents more colours?

and, How do I calibrate the HDTV? I checked in the showroom and the TV doesn't have individual RGB sliders, only Hue Colour and Brightness sliders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacie 324 seems awesome, but a very steep price. As much as I want to buy it I am sorry I won't be able to :cry:

Can you guide me on my questions in my earlier post ^^

Are you sure you want a wide colour gamut? It can make sRGB colour inaccurate, even with calibration.

I think you should ask in the HardOCP forum, more monitor experts there.

Are you sure you want a wide colour gamut? It can make sRGB colour inaccurate, even with calibration.

I think you should ask in the HardOCP forum, more monitor experts there.

WHAT !? I thought Wide Colour Gamut meant more colours reproducable on screen than sRGB, am I wrong? You mean I should go for an CCFL backlight and not a WCG-CCFL?

Please respond quickly.:cry:

if you're working with a studio, can you manage to get them pay you part of your valuable, productivity-enabler professionnal tool? :p

Ok, ordered Sony Bravia KLV-32V300A . I think it is the best S-Pva panel in my budget. Will be delivered after two days. Lets hope everything turns out fine !

WHAT !? I thought Wide Colour Gamut meant more colours reproducable on screen than sRGB, am I wrong?
It means more saturated colour, typically far less accurate when targeting sRGB or HDTV standard colour.

There's a danger that content which looks good on your display will look dull and washed out on a standard display.

F*ck ! Didn't know that! You mean this is all bullSh1t: http://www.presentationtek.com/2008/02/11/wcg-ccfl-wide-color-gamut-ccfl-backlight-technology/

One month of research and I end up with the wrong thing :rolleyes: Actually my whole effort was focused on Monitors, ended up with a Bravia TV only in the last few days of looking up stuff., coz it was cheaper and still had S-PVA panels which can theoretically produce 8-bit colors.The only thing getting compromised was the resolution and I could live with that.

Anyways will have to live with it now.Any ideas how do I calibrate it?I mean atleast bring it closer to what the real colours are?

It's technically correct, more or less. But the old NTSC gamut is irrelevant. The vast majority of consumer displays expect sRGB colour or similar.

There's probably a menu setting to make gamut less wide. Don't expect accuracy anywhere near good enough for print or cinema, but for game graphics and such it's no big deal.

You have no problems

CNet have done tests on the Sony Bravia color output and found no problems. Sony have all sorts of gamut mapping techniques to take care of gamut mismatches.

Quoting CNet

"an xv color space mode that engages xvYCC color (choosing the xvColor option doesn't have any effect on standard, non-xvColor material); a photo color space that allows you to choose between sYCC, sRGB, and Adobe RGB for digital photo display (again, we measured no effect on standard HDTV colors in any of these modes"

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-46xbr4/4505-6482_7-32468193.html

Thanx Nova22 ! I recieved the TV yesterday and was relieved to see that I can turn off the WCG mode(phew....) I noticed that WCg adds some extra red on surfaces , the most obvious effects are on red only, and turning it Off, makes it standard again.

And did I say the Panel is stunning. Running BattlefieldBAd Compnay on it was pure mouth watering fun ! I mean 32'' of pure awesome:D9see, I am talking like an excited kid!)

I have turned off all the noise reduction stuff for my HDMI input.

Can you guys guide me on Backlight and brightness? What would be an optimal balance?

Back