Monitor companies are incompetent fools

Depends on the application really. I have a Helix with a 1080 resolution 10.6" screen. For apps that don't scale very well (or at all) on desktop mode, it's really too small to do anything. Chrome needs to be zoomed 150% to make it usable, especially with touch or pen.

For anything in Metro or that scale decent, it's gorgeous.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered

When Brightness Isn't
On mobile displays with only a single user control, the control labeled “brightness” does in fact actually control the brightness of the image on the screen by increasing or decreasing the backlight intensity. However, on most monitors and TVs, the control labeled “brightness” does not control the brightness. It actually controls the signal-level setting for black on the display, which indirectly has a minor effect on brightness.

Contrast? Not So Much
The control labeled “contrast” has absolutely no effect on image contrast. It actually controls the brightness of the image, by increasing or decreasing the amplitude of the video signal. Monitors and TVs really should have a true contrast control, but the closest you’ll find on some HDTVs is an obscure control labeled “gamma,” and I have yet to see one that works properly. For more information on gamma, see my article on color and gray-scale accuracy here:
http://www.displaymate.com/ShootOut_Part_2.htm

I suppose that Gsync monitor also support free sync? If that so, then I rather remove Gsync and just do free sync only just to keep the cost down. And yes, why 144 and not 120hz? If more is better, then why don't go for (insert large numbers here) hz? I guess if it wouldn't add much to the cost, then more is better, but if dropping from 144 to 120 can make it noticeably cheaper then I certainly choose the 120.
Because it is faster (although I guess it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference).
Okay.

Monitors and TVs really should have a true contrast control
No such thing. As poorly named as brightness and contrast were on CRTs they were at least well defined within the context. In general there is no true definition of contrast and no true method of changing it.

The brightness/contrast setting on LCD are generally unpredictable bullshit though.

Back