Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
384bit bus adds a decent amount. Sony were considering 128bit bus + EDRAM. High clock => lower yield. High end components to keep it cool and small.

It also doesn't have an hardware ID buffer that can be used for checkerboard rendering, geometry rendering but can also dramatically improve temporal AA.

"Microsoft didn't delve too deeply into specifics on the checkerboarding support that Scorpio possesses at the hardware level. However, Andrew Goossen tells us that the GPU supports extensions that allow depth and ID buffers to be efficiently rendered at full native resolution, while colour buffers can be rendered at half resolution with full pixel shader efficiency."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth

Perhaps some pricing pressure could be coming from the ongoing software efforts for the backwards compatibility engine--or whatever that is for Scorpio. Microsoft's promising to make sure things work, and that would be Scorpio to Xbox One and 360 and now the original. There is some level of initial development and some ongoing expense specific to Scorpio that could put a little early adopter premium on the new hardware.

This.

PC gamers with decent hardware aren't going to be flocking in droves to Xbox One X, for their multiplatform gaming fix, nor the Xbox games coming as well. Although I understand "WHY" Microsoft wants a more unified Win-Ecosystem amongst its products ...but it becomes a much harder sale for a $499 product that really doesn't offer anything outside of that ecosystem, that is completely exclusive to it.

I guess what Microsoft is trying to offer is the cheapest solution for native 4K gaming and it's library of games ...which isn't a bad thing, but a welcomed option. But $499 is still a tough sale in the console space, especially outside of the U.S..

I actually like that they're unifying xbox and pc. The problem is, on the xbox side it's a half measure. The Xbox library is small compared to the PC library. Sure, PCs are considerably more expensive, so for a lot of people a pc isn't even an option. But the easiest way to explain it is that the Xbox has the smallest library of games between the PC, Playstation and Xbox, but it's more expensive than the playstation. I think the Xbox One S is a good product and sitting at a good price. It's the lesser hardware with a smaller library, but it's priced accordingly and it has 4k UHD disc drive, so it has some selling points. Right now Xbox One X is sitting at smallest library, highest console price. Yes, it's more powerful, but I'm not sure that will actually make a difference.

I don't think One X presents the best value in the console space right now. I'd probably say PS4 > One S > PS4 Pro > One X. Basically, I see two users that would want a One X: has a 4k tv doesn't own a console, has a 4k tv and upgrading from One. Nothing here to get Playstation users to switch. Nothing here to get PC users to buy.

My bet, after Christmas it´ll be a price-cut about the same month when Kinect was ditched

I agree. Why not have a starting price of $500.00? All the hardcore Xbox customers are still going to buy it at that price. So you capture all those sales at $500, and then drop the price before Christmas to make it more appealing to the general gamers.[/QUOTE]

Why not? Because that's shitting on your biggest fans!

I agree. Why not have a starting price of $500.00? All the hardcore Xbox customers are still going to buy it at that price. So you capture all those sales at $500, and then drop the price before Christmas to make it more appealing to the general gamers.

It's not a good strategy in my opinion. In a marketing war, everything counts.

Also, after the price reveal, many people might simply buy a Pro now. They are not supposed to know that the price will drop before Christmas.

So are we saying the 50% on paper gap might not even be that in reality?
Depends on how much use the dev and/or engine makes of FP16, really.
But devs working on the big engines have been researching quite a bit on using FP16 as much as possible.
Unity because it's mostly a mobile-driven engine and the most profitable mobile platform (iphones/ipads) has had 2xFP16 throughput for several years now. Unreal Engine 4 because the Switch has a Tegra X1 which does 2*FP16 too. Frostbite are the ones who mentioned FP16 being used for checkerboard rendering on Andromeda in the PS4 Pro version and this is bound to spread to other tasks. Devs working on idTech 6 have already mentioned substantial gains using FP16 wherever possible - for the PS4 Pro and Vega graphics cards.

So are we saying the 50% on paper gap might not even be that in reality?

I don't know how to quantify the gap, but it is certainly larger than that between the XB1/PS4. So, it's a substantial gap anyway.

With the X, i expect a much higher resolution, better performances and better assets (everything at the same time).

why are so many people complaining about the price. It's a bonus, premium console targeted at the enthousiast players.
If it's too expensive for some, they are not the target. For those people, there's the xbox one, still their main console, way cheaper and which plays the exact same games.

I agree. Why not have a starting price of $500.00? All the hardcore Xbox customers are still going to buy it at that price. So you capture all those sales at $500, and then drop the price before Christmas to make it more appealing to the general gamers.

Why not? Because that's shitting on your biggest fans![/QUOTE]

Anyone that does not realize they are paying the highest possible price for a console when it first launches is not paying attention to any previous console launch. People who buy day one know they could wait and save money, they simply don't care.

why are so many people complaining about the price. It's a bonus, premium console targeted at the enthousiast players.
If it's too expensive for some, they are not the target. For those people, there's the xbox one, still their main console, way cheaper and which plays the exact same games.

Spot on, and they discounted the Xbox One for those people that don't want to spend the money on X.

I agree but some people always think in a price/quality ratio, even if they have no money problem.

I don't care about the price since i won't buy the console. However, i wonder if the X could have a decent sucess with this strategy.

But we don't really know how many X MS want to sell. Their strategy is maybe much clever than we think : redirect the brand toward an elite image, impose DX12 faster, etc.

Last edited:
maybe ms knew about it and chose not to have fp16 math.
with most things there's pros and cons and maybe the cons out weighed it in the end, we don't know. Maybe they just goofed lol.
cons - things like cost, maybe it meant running Gpu 100mhz slower which would off set benefit compared to benefits of it running faster for all fp32. (made up frequency)

how much difference does the gpu running so fast have on fixed function part of pipeline.

at the moment we don't know, probably won't hear much until gdc 2018 now apart from the, i think it was the battlefield presentation regarding fp16 usage. Much of the benefit came from less register pressure which the 1X can also take advantage of.

and to bring it back on topic, it may have simply pushed price up more

I don't care about the price since i won't buy the console.

Then how can you possibly evaluate what a good price is? I wasn't buying an X at $399 either, which is why I'm not commenting on whether I think it's priced well. I'm just saying it's priced the way I expected (at least initially). The only people who have a chance of providing a representative opinion on how the market will react to this are people who would have bought it if it were cheaper.

Why not? Because that's shitting on your biggest fans!

Anyone that does not realize they are paying the highest possible price for a console when it first launches is not paying attention to any previous console launch. People who buy day one know they could wait and save money, they simply don't care.[/QUOTE]

The suggestion was reducing the price a month after launch, I'm sorry but even the biggest fans would feel they've been kicked in the balls

Then how can you possibly evaluate what a good price is? I wasn't buying an X at $399 either, which is why I'm not commenting on whether I think it's priced well. I'm just saying it's priced the way I expected (at least initially). The only people who have a chance of providing a representative opinion on how the market will react to this are people who would have bought it if it were cheaper.

I don't think I would have bought it at $400 either, but I was personally thinking $450 might be the price. Having said all that, if it had been a hybrid PC even at $500 I'd be tempted.

Anyone that does not realize they are paying the highest possible price for a console when it first launches is not paying attention to any previous console launch. People who buy day one know they could wait and save money, they simply don't care.

The suggestion was reducing the price a month after launch, I'm sorry but even the biggest fans would feel they've been kicked in the balls[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree. It releases Nov. 7th and will get a discount for the holiday. I don't think that is shocking or anti-consumer.

Back