Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There had better be some incredible pack-in value-adds in the bundle if MS thinks Scorpio will be a success at $499.
Games are a cheaper valued-added proposition for Microsoft than hardware but like AzBat I reckon an Elite controller would make 499 more palatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think it's an important part but I think Microsoft has lost their damn mind if they intend to sell it at that price. Better include the new Elite controller & Game Pass or equivalent software.

Tommy McClain
Agreed. This makes it 550€ in my country, due to extra taxes, and no way am I paying this much money for a console again. (I paid 660€ for a launch ps3☺️) . It's not so much the money,I can afford it, it's the principle. Having a 500$ jaguar/Polaris based console in 2017 is insulting and shows that ms doesn't care for the console market and just wants to have a box around. If it had newer tech I could justify that but as things are, no way. I think I will stick to my pro and laptop for now and maybe start seriously looking for a monster compact gaming desktop in a few months.

It also feels extremely amateurish from ms to have that ahem...person Geoff Kighley ....announce the consle's price.

Yeah, I'm going back to $499 with an expectation of an Elite controller pack-in and premium build quality/packaging all around.

Well I guessed it, so it would be $662 AUD using current exchange rate, plus GST it's at least $700 AUD. Not sure man, not sure.

If true, maybe it's based on the volume they can have at launch, I'm guessing it will sell out at launch regardless of the price. and then they can drop the price as production volume increases. Pro is still going through stock fluctuations even today. Could it hint that large 16nm parts aren't yet as easy to procure as the smaller ~200mm ones? I like making conspiracy theories.:yes:

It should have closed this morning in the AM but I suppose I was off a day. Thread Poll now closed.

I really hope they have multiple SKUs with some of them not including extras or at least a trade-in upgrade plan. While an Elite Controller is great and all, I already have one and have no need for 2. I don't want to be pestered with selling the extra one for whatever I cant get for it (~ $100).

Don't think it's an important part but I think Microsoft has lost their damn mind if they intend to sell it at that price. Better include the new Elite controller & Game Pass or equivalent software.

Tommy McClain
imho, it's all scripted. Phil Spencer paid some money behind the scenes to Geoff Knightley, he chants about the supposed price, and then you say a different price in the conference and you look like a winner.

I could understand ms' vision with the Xbox one and Kinect , even though it was proven to be the wrong one in the end. For the life of me I don't get anything about Scorpio if that is the price. The only thing I get from this is that ms , along with its pc presence, wants to have a presence in the console market with no ambitions whatsoever, just kind of simply being there.

I truly hope that MS was finally smart for once in their life and deliberately used slides with False Prices during their rehearsals just for this sort of situation. I doubt it though.
agreed. the rehearsal happened 4 years ago, at certain price, and it didn't go well. I can understand it is a premium console, but you can get similar power for 700$ on a PC with a far better CPU and the openness of the PC, so hopefully there is going to be some common sense with the price -even if they start selling it at a loss.

I don't think MS have ever attempted to sell this thing more than the Pro, throwing a $499 price tag is simply for the sake of having something more powerful than the competition. They simply want their brand image back and sheer bragging right for the best looking multiplatforms. They knew it's too late to recapture the user base for this gen but at least go down with a bang before true next gen starts right? I really don't find it difficult to believe if this is indeed the price.

499$ a year after the pro with no real "new" tech, only improved over pro, shows audacity and nothing else. They will gain nothing if that is the price, and by nothing I don't mean in terms of marketshare. They will not get their brand image back, if nothing else their already tarnished brand image will be demolished as it has already begun since the proposed Scorpio price was leaked. All the good will that ms was gathering coming to this e3 has suddenly evaporated and their press conference has a great chance to provide some big laughs once again.

maybe they should've said the cpu is Xen based, then everyone would've been ok with the price? Being serious, perception is important, even made up ones.
if it was zen based with smt, larger caches, power management stripped out, underclocked to sub 2ghz, smaller gpu then Scorpio is worth it, newer tech and all that?
once again its the perception of older tech that's affecting some people view on price, even if the tech is more than adequate and kept the price bellow $500.

i didn't vote, i really could see it priced at any of the 3 levels and wouldn't be surprised.

at $499 i would expect the value of packed in items to have a lot higher retail value though.
at $399 nothing packed in, until goes on sale then throw in value add items to compete.

I thought 399, but 499 is a perfectly fair price for something this fast.

Compared to the Pro: ~ 45% more GPU, 45% more BW, 50% more fast memory, faster CPU likely with higher IPC to boot, more capable audio processors, 4K BR.

All for $100, or 25% more.

The PC gamer in me would think "that's a fucking steal".

Console industry is price sensitive, I know, but neither the Pro nor Scropio are aimed at these customers. There has to be a market for people who want a faster/better featured console and understand that will cost a little bit more.

If the cost of dropping to 399 was to slash the capability down to Pro levels, run with PS4 assets, lack full 4K media support, then what would be there point in the frikkin machine?

leak $500, let the net melt down, looking like winners by revealing a lower price

Alternatively "Leak $500, watch the net meltdown and panic - cancel all press interactions, wait 2 weeks while you fire everyone, then announce a new price at $449."

Back