Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

I hope that means they're using the Youtube Premiere functionality so it's not entirely live-streamed during all the parts that could be prerecorded, and they have it jump to a live-stream moment at the last section if there is any need for it. I kind of doubt it, as I think they're saving the parts that need to be live for the rumored August event.

EDIT:
Dang it. I just noticed the Twitch/FaceBook/Twitter logos, so I don't know if Twitch has similar functionality that would allow for the highest bitrate possible and client side buffering ahead of time for the best fidelity during a live-like experience.

Maybe they'll be cheeky enough to just play the YouTube Premiere stream on those other services.

It's not Sony that completely upended their marketing plans for the year.

Edit: To quote Eurogamer

"The original plan was to showcase the Xbox Series S as part of Xbox's big E3 2020 show, so the proposition of a cheaper next-gen option could be explained properly, sat alongside the graphical powerhouse provided by the beefier Series X, both playing the same next-gen games.

But when E3 was cancelled and remote working hindered progress on various internal game projects, it became clear Microsoft could no longer show both its boxes and next-gen games all at the same time. It had to rethink the timeline for all these plans, and instead opted to spread its reveals over a longer timescale - something the company publicly branded Xbox 20/20."

WTF. Give me a break. Yes, it's real hard and expensive to point a camera at a console and stream it to the internet. No way Microsoft can afford that!

It literally could take 5 seconds at the end of the July games show, like countless hardware reveals in the past.

The rationalizing for XSS no show in the media is crazy.

Welp, August must truly be the last stand, at least.

WTF. Give me a break. Yes, it's real hard and expensive to point a camera at a console and stream it to the internet. No way Microsoft can afford that!

I don't think it's about cost, it's about logistics and complexity. Things that were easy when people were sharing a professional workspace are much more complicated when a portion of your workforce are working from home. Not everybody has great internet, or professional quality cameras and microphones in which to capture a canned presentation.

Two months ago Phil Spencer said "Things right now aren't easy…I can feel it in the teams. They're stretched.” and things a further 2-3 months or remote working won't have helped the situation. I don't see anybody saying Microsoft can't do it but the Head of Xbox is saying COVID-19 is proving challenging. I've not been able to deliver a single presentation working from home, as I've groaned about many times my internet is atrocious and there are simply no better options right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

It literally could take 5 seconds at the end of the July games show, like countless hardware reveals in the past.

The rationalizing for XSS no show in the media is crazy.

Welp, August must truly be the last stand, at least.

You can do something really big once and get people talking for a little while but while it may still be talked about on forums no one in the real world is really talking about it. Or you can keep building up announcement after announcement through your marketing cycle. MS having multiple larger events is smart esp when the eyes of the industry aren't on a giant event.

I don't think it's about cost, it's about logistics and complexity. Things that were easy when people were sharing a professional workspace are much more complicated when a portion of your workforce are working from home. Not everybody has great internet, or professional quality cameras and microphones in which to capture a canned presentation.

Two months ago Phil Spencer said "Things right now aren't easy…I can feel it in the teams. They're stretched.” and things a further 2-3 months or remote working won't have helped the situation. I don't see anybody saying Microsoft can't do it but the Head of Xbox is saying COVID-19 is proving challenging. I've not been able to deliver a single presentation working from home, as I've groaned about many times my internet is atrocious and there are simply no better options right now.

Remote work is challenging and when people don't have the right equipment it can be even more so.

Your post stirred my memory of The Last Night. Game was shown during e3 2017 and still has a TBA. SMH

So I watched all E3 conferences since 2013 from Sony and Microsoft on Sunday. It's so funny how much time was spent on both sides on eventual total failures or abandoned products or the same game shown over and over and over again and so much time spent talking.

I much prefer these new digital video series, even the early May games event is so much better. A concentration of games. Same with all the Xbox Summer Game Fest highlight videos. Same with the id@xbox montages.

If you need to present information, do it like they have been doing it this year, have a text article available online and maybe a video interview to augment it.

In fact, I hope they never go back to the E3 style press conferences style again.

I still haven't found the game I vaguely remember. Maybe it was from a gamescom event.

So I watched all E3 conferences since 2013 from Sony and Microsoft on Sunday. It's so funny how much time was spent on both sides on eventual total failures or abandoned products or the same game shown over and over and over again and so much time spent talking.

I much prefer these new digital video series, even the early May games event is so much better. A concentration of games. Same with all the Xbox Summer Game Fest highlight videos. Same with the id@xbox montages.

If you need to present information, do it like they have been doing it this year, have a text article available online and maybe a video interview to augment it.

In fact, I hope they never go back to the E3 style press conferences style again.

I still haven't found the game I vaguely remember. Maybe it was from a gamescom event.

Interesting. I might try going back to them too, but I think I'm with you on the concentration of games thought. Was there any games like Tunic that was shown off but hasn't shown up yet? As for your mystery game, what's it like? Maybe I remember it.

Tommy McClain

Latest "ring of truth" rumors seems to be (could be wrong) for July 23 event:

No Perfect Dark. Supposedly may be saved for August now to counter whatever PS held back.

No Elden Ring (personally don't care).

But on the plus, rumors of a new Ninja Gaiden title...

Personally while excited I'm trying to keep expectations in check for these reasons: 1. No video game conference has really delivered for me in a few years now. 2. Phil Spencer said this gen will be more about "immersion" (fast loading etc) then any massive graphical uptick. Since Phil has seen all the Xbox 1st party titles and we havent, That tells me dont expect anything crazy from Halo Inf visuals (it's also cross gen, aka a Xbox One title at heart) (and Sony conference wasn't showcasing an amazing jump either). 3, there is always that boring indie section that drags on and on and provides filler for every video game show....

The conjecture I like best for Thu was a new Obsidian Pillars game. A third or first person game set in that world, with high production values, would a good showcase.

Oh, so the Halo thing is kicking things off during the pre-show? Hopefully an hour's worth of content.

>_>

Think they said the Geoff Keighley's pre show will have some stuff in it also.

Doubt I'll personally be bothered enough to watch that though, maybe have it on in the background

Edit
Oh crap didn't see that's what it was about.....
Might be worth watching if that's the case. Definitely at least have it on in the background

Oh it's only the screenshot that mentions it, that's why i missed it

Halo Infinite seems to be the best thing of that showcase. Hopefully 343i won't repeat the same mistakes of Halo 5.

Latest "ring of truth" rumors seems to be (could be wrong) for July 23 event:

No Perfect Dark. Supposedly may be saved for August now to counter whatever PS held back.

No Elden Ring (personally don't care).

But on the plus, rumors of a new Ninja Gaiden title...

Personally while excited I'm trying to keep expectations in check for these reasons: 1. No video game conference has really delivered for me in a few years now. 2. Phil Spencer said this gen will be more about "immersion" (fast loading etc) then any massive graphical uptick. Since Phil has seen all the Xbox 1st party titles and we havent, That tells me dont expect anything crazy from Halo Inf visuals (it's also cross gen, aka a Xbox One title at heart) (and Sony conference wasn't showcasing an amazing jump either). 3, there is always that boring indie section that drags on and on and provides filler for every video game show....

Same here, if sony cant then neither will MS. Better to expect nothing these days :p

Back