Microsoft / Sony rumored to be buying Wizards of the Coast

But U2-4 were on PS3-PS4, while PS2 did not have proper networking capabilities at all no?
There were some online only games on PS2. Final Fantasy XI, and there was an Everquest release (although I seam to remember that you could play some of that offline even the the box stated it was online only), plus the SOCOM series had a strong online community as well as Resident Evil Outbreak 1/2, which had the last multiplayer servers online for PS2 IIRC.

Paradox owns all of the White Wolf IP (Vampire, among other things), not Wizards.

If there was going to be an acquisition on the basis of existing product it'd be for MTG Arena. But MS will already have Hearthstone so that doesn't make a ton of sense.
Depending on what is actually purchased, it might not be 100% about the obvious MTG/D&D IPs that Wizards has, but things just a bit deeper in the overall Hasbro vault. Hasbro Owns Takara/Tomy, which has some Japanese video game IP, and that might be included in the modern digital arm of Hasbro. I don't know exactly where all the rights landed but I do know that they at one time Takara and Tomy, around the time of their merger, owned a controlling stake in Atlus, and Atlus made/published games based on their IP. It's a bit of a spider web to untangle who owned what exactly, but if those IP are included in a sale, that would mean Dual Masters, Toshinden, and Choro-Q games, and probably more. Again, I don't know exactly what Sega got when they purchased Atlus, but I think it might have just been Persona, SMT, and Etrian Odyssey, and I'm not sure what else they made that was licensed from 3rd parties (as in, not Takara/Tomy). Also, I don't know if Hasbro would be willing to sell off all the Takara/Tomy IP, since that would include Micromen and Diaclone, and I'm not sure how you decouple them from modern Transformers. The same might be true of any games made based on toy lines Hasbro feels they want to keep to themselves.

Back