Microsoft / Sony rumored to be buying Wizards of the Coast

* Laughs in Disney *

Yea if Disney ever got serious about making games in house of their own IPs it be a really powerful company.

Hearthstone is a Blizzard IP. So, MS won't need to buy anyone to get it. ;)

Also, digital collector's card games are well represented on Game Pass, so there's no real need for MS to develop one in house if they didn't want to.

From a video game standpoint there isn't much at WOTC that MS would really want, IMO. There's D&D, but that's a far more valuable IP on tabletop than it is in video game form. There's the World of Darkness IP (Vampire: The Masquerade is part of that). So if MS wanted to get those games, I wouldn't mind. But I can't see that being valuable enough to acquire from a video game standpoint. Again, much more valuable IP on the tabletop than video games (although I LOVED Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines).

There's MTG, but again, plenty of CCGs on Game Pass already and MTG is more valuable tabletop than it is in video game form.

And there's not a lot of really good software game developer teams at WOTC to make it a key acquisition WRT software engineering talent.

Regards,
SB

Map the ip onto new in house studios that were made with the talent making bethesda rpgs and obsidian rpgs. Like I said its a lot easier to launch new product from existing ip than it is to create new ones.

When I was in middle level there were magic the gathering books an it basicly be mages that used the cards to draw in mana and cast spells . The main character would go around fighting other mages and collecting more powerful cards. Could make for interesting RPGS or even a MMORPG

As I said I think of Dungeons and dragons and all the amazing rpgs on the pc and what you can really do with that and the campaigns that were written over 50 years or so along with all the books.

Lol. It's hilarious that your argument is that Sony's IPs are a flash in the pan because they only last 3 generations.
I would't describe support an IP for 2-3 generations as flash in the pan. That's a commitment, but not a never-ending one. Naughty Dog developed Crash Bandicoot, Jack & Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us and they're now working on something new. Four keystone IPs that are, or were once, associated with PlayStation. You only get to do that by saying goodbye to old IP.

Also, when you're the market leader and all the 3rd parties are guaranteed to put their 7 or 8 generation spanning franchises on your machine it frees you up to experiment.
Sony weren't the market leader for the entirety of the PlayStation 3 generation. It had no shortage of games. :nope:

From a video game standpoint there isn't much at WOTC that MS would really want, IMO. There's D&D, but that's a far more valuable IP on tabletop than it is in video game form. There's the World of Darkness IP (Vampire: The Masquerade is part of that). So if MS wanted to get those games, I wouldn't mind. But I can't see that being valuable enough to acquire from a video game standpoint. Again, much more valuable IP on the tabletop than video games (although I LOVED Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines).
World of Darkness is White Wolf, not WotC. White Wolf is owned by Paradox.

I have been always saying that Disney should acquire EA. Imagine the possibile integration of EA Sports with ESPN and other stuff.

The powers that be at Disney don't believe in gaming so even if you got someone in short term that had enough clout to get an EA deal done , I have a feeling the next ceo would sell it. I've heard nightmare stories from people that were in the Disney gaming studios and this new CEO seems really focused on bean counting

The powers that be at Disney don't believe in gaming so even if you got someone in short term that had enough clout to get an EA deal done , I have a feeling the next ceo would sell it. I've heard nightmare stories from people that were in the Disney gaming studios and this new CEO seems really focused on bean counting
I see. Didn't know, but still I believe EA + Disney combo would be quite nice.

I think disney buying any competent studio while having a ceo who believes in gaming would be nice. Well if they leave the current sjw stuff infecting their franchises in the past
I think they are much better now. I wonder what would happen if they were to try to bid for Warner Bros. Would be hilarious DC + Marvel under one roof

I would't describe support an IP for 2-3 generations as flash in the pan. That's a commitment, but not a never-ending one. Naughty Dog developed Crash Bandicoot, Jack & Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us and they're now working on something new. Four keystone IPs that are, or were once, associated with PlayStation. You only get to do that by saying goodbye to old IP.
Naughty Dog had never made a sequel (including their time as JAM Software) until the Sony published Crash Bandicoot series started. Since that time, they have never released a game on a platform that didn't get a sequel on that same platform. Sony does sunset IPs

Sony's longest-used IP is Gran Turismo (OG PlayStation)
WipEout is older and has a newer release.

Are the rumors talking about only the "traditional" WotC, or the entire digital arm of Hasbro which is now operating under that moniker? The latter would include several studios.

Edit: Scanned the vid. The latter, though mostly just a whole lot of hot wind. You would pretty much have to believe the conjecture that the whole Hasbro getting serious about digital thing is just a facade, while in reality merely dressing up the pig hoping to find a rich suitor.

Last edited:
Naughty Dog had never made a sequel (including their time as JAM Software) until the Sony published Crash Bandicoot series started. Since that time, they have never released a game on a platform that didn't get a sequel on that same platform. Sony does sunset IPs
Sony acquired Naughty Dog in 2001. Jak and Daxter was the first game developed having been owned by Sony, so that team chose to develop four Crash games prior to Sony buying them, Crash 1-3 and Crash Team Racing.

WipEout is older and has a newer release.
Uhh.. the original Wipeout released on the original PlayStation, PC and SEGA Saturn. The last PlayStation home console title release (Wipeout Omega Collection) was on PlayStation 4. So that IP survived for four PlayStation home console generations, Gran Turismo is now on its fifth PlayStation home console generation.

Wipeout is an exception. A very niche and peculiar example. Apart from being released on N64, Saturn, PS and PC originally, it saw also a PS2, PSP and Vita Release.
The Wipeout HD Fury was more like a remake of the PSP versions and the Omega Collection was a recollection of the HD Fury and 2048 for PS4.
There are tons of IPs under Sony that barely saw, if any, continuation.
GT is indeed the longest and biggest standing title that have endured all generations.
Wipeout was like a maintenance of an IP that served as a symbol rather than the big money bringer.
It became a flagship title for PS handhelds being renovated for the console rather than building a unique Wipeout from the ground up for console.

Sony acquired Naughty Dog in 2001. Jak and Daxter was the first game developed having been owned by Sony, so that team chose to develop four Crash games prior to Sony buying them, Crash 1-3 and Crash Team Racing.
True, but Crash 1-3 + CTR were published by Sony. They had exclusive rights to the IP at the time, and Naughty Dog had never made 2 games in a series until then. Then they made 4.

Uhh.. the original Wipeout released on the original PlayStation, PC and SEGA Saturn. The last PlayStation home console title release (Wipeout Omega Collection) was on PlayStation 4. So that IP survived for four PlayStation home console generations, Gran Turismo is now on its fifth PlayStation home console generation.
WipEout is (and always was) a Sony owned IP. Sony 100% owned Psygnosis since 1993, although, like Bungie will be, they had the independence to self publish or license out their games for multiplatform releases. But that doesn't change the fact the WipEout is now and always was a Sony IP. It was released before Gran Turismo. It's newest release is more recent than the newest Gran Turismo (the PS5 release isn't out yet). Wipeout has even appeared on more Sony platforms than GT, even, since GT never got a Vita release. That will be a tie when the PS5 release of GT happens, of course. But we don't live in the future, so as of right now, WipEout is the "Sony's longest-used IP". And there is a forthcoming mobile release, so the IP is still being used.

True, but Crash 1-3 + CTR were published by Sony. They had exclusive rights to the IP at the time, and Naughty Dog had never made 2 games in a series until then. Then they made 4.

On the original PlayStation, Sony published a lot of games - including Final Fantasy outside of Japan. Sony never owned the rights to Crash, which is how Crash ended up with Universal then Vivendi then Sierra then Activision. Let's not re-write history here.

I also don't understand this entire line of discussion. I said that with a few exceptions, Sony have a history of dropping IPs after a few console generations. I never claimed that Sony make allow sequels, they clearly have piles of them.

WipEout is (and always was) a Sony owned IP. Sony 100% owned Psygnosis since 1993, although, like Bungie will be, they had the independence to self publish or license out their games for multiplatform releases. But that doesn't change the fact the WipEout is now and always was a Sony IP. It was released before Gran Turismo. It's newest release is more recent than the newest Gran Turismo (the PS5 release isn't out yet). Wipeout has even appeared on more Sony platforms than GT, even, since GT never got a Vita release.
Are you seriously quibbling about the release date for Gran Turismo on PS5? I am talking about IPs lasting home console generations (what I said) not which month and year something launched - or how many iterations of an IP released. Wipeout definitely was different, for a start Sony were happy to support Wipeout games releasing on MS-DOS, Windows, Amiga, the N64 and SEGA Saturn consoles.

But seriously, Wipeout lasted four (barely) PlayStation home console generations. Gran Turismo will notch up a fifth generation on 4 March.

MS has also dropped many IPs, but mostly due to poor sales performance. Sony has had more 1st party success over the years so they have tougher choices about what to cut to make room for new IPs.

I also think that when you are making multi-player enabled experiences like Halo, Gears and Forza you are likely going to keep going with these franchises. There's probably a practical limit to how often you can tell a new Drake story in Uncharted or how many times you can bring out a Jak & Daxter game when it's a solo 3rd person experience. The hook with Assassin's Creed is that they keep changing the setting to keep it semi-fresh. If it was the same characters over and over again it would get older quicker. Even now a ton of people are burned out on AC games. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it just makes more sense to make new stories and sometimes new IPs to tell these 3rd person adventure stories that Sony is rightfully famous for.

MS has also dropped many IPs, but mostly due to poor sales performance. Sony has had more 1st party success over the years so they have tougher choices about what to cut to make room for new IPs.

I also think that when you are making multi-player enabled experiences like Halo, Gears and Forza you are likely going to keep going with these franchises. There's probably a practical limit to how often you can tell a new Drake story in Uncharted or how many times you can bring out a Jak & Daxter game when it's a solo 3rd person experience. The hook with Assassin's Creed is that they keep changing the setting to keep it semi-fresh. If it was the same characters over and over again it would get older quicker. Even now a ton of people are burned out on AC games. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it just makes more sense to make new stories and sometimes new IPs to tell these 3rd person adventure stories that Sony is rightfully famous for.

Sony needs to rest some series but should go back to them after an appropriate time period has passed . At this point its been 5 yeasr since the last new uncharted right ?

I also think that when you are making multi-player enabled experiences like Halo, Gears and Forza you are likely going to keep going with these franchises. There's probably a practical limit to how often you can tell a new Drake story in Uncharted or how many times you can bring out a Jak & Daxter game when it's a solo 3rd person experience.
Most PS2 story-driven games were single player games but Uncharted 2, 3 and 4 and The Last of Us all had cracking multiplayer modes. I know you don't own a PlayStation so you may not know this. This isn't a good comparison for this reason.

I get that a lot of people do play games only for the multiplayer but I only play Gears and Halo for the story campaigns. I'm not sure why it makes that much of a difference, a good multiplayer game is a good multiplayer game, the IP feels almost secondary.

Most PS2 story-driven games were single player games but Uncharted 2, 3 and 4 and The Last of Us all had cracking multiplayer modes. I know you don't own a PlayStation so you may not know this. This isn't a good comparison for this reason.
But U2-4 were on PS3-PS4, while PS2 did not have proper networking capabilities at all no?

Hearthstone is a Blizzard IP. So, MS won't need to buy anyone to get it. ;)

Also, digital collector's card games are well represented on Game Pass, so there's no real need for MS to develop one in house if they didn't want to.

There's MTG, but again, plenty of CCGs on Game Pass already and MTG is more valuable tabletop than it is in video game form.

And there's not a lot of really good software game developer teams at WOTC to make it a key acquisition WRT software engineering talent.

Regards,
SB
Paradox owns all of the White Wolf IP (Vampire, among other things), not Wizards.

If there was going to be an acquisition on the basis of existing product it'd be for MTG Arena. But MS will already have Hearthstone so that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Back