Microsoft releases Vista Source to Competitors

Maybe a most annoying example of Microsoft policy (for me at least): Microsoft Update. Only accessible from IE(!!).

Yeah well if Firefox supported ActiveX plugins, then MS might try to make Windows Update work in other Browsers, but well, you're never going to see either happen.

Maybe a most annoying example of Microsoft policy (for me at least): Microsoft Update. Only accessible from IE(!!).

Agreed.

Yeah well if Firefox supported ActiveX plugins, then MS might try to make Windows Update work in other Browsers, but well, you're never going to see either happen.

What he said. ActiveX = teh noes. Keep that crap out of my browser please.

Well, you don't even need that: all you need is a live internet connection, as far as MS is concerned. They recently installed upgrades to the upgrade system and their DRM even for users who had turned it off.

Something else that irks me quite a bit about Vista: if any application stops responding to Windows messages for only a few seconds, like when it has a lot to do, it is automatically killed. So, there are many actions applications cannot do anymore, like reading the contents of a huge directory, or calculating something time-consuming: they will be killed before they finish doing it.

Sure, they can be upgraded. So we can all buy them again...

Something else that irks me quite a bit about Vista: if any application stops responding to Windows messages for only a few seconds, like when it has a lot to do, it is automatically killed. So, there are many actions applications cannot do anymore, like reading the contents of a huge directory, or calculating something time-consuming: they will be killed before they finish doing it.
I haven't seen any of this. No application has gotten killed without my approval. Maybe you're referring to the graying out of unresponsive applications done by the new window manager?

Back