Microsoft buying Yahoo!

So you don't have any specific examples of wrongdoing, just an overall objection to their business model?

Yes, I have specific examples. They take pictures of my property and put them on the internet without asking, they put cookies tracking usage on computers thankfully those cookies expire in 30 years, well unless you use google again, then they add 2 years to the expiry date.

Their business model is to control the flow of all information on the internet and have access to every persons personal data. So ya I have a few issues with that.

That's fine with me, btw, I would just appreciate if you would come out and admit to that, rather than making statements like this:

:LOL:

So everything is ok as long as its part of their business model. So if someone wants to set up a camera in your house you're fine with it as long as it's part of their business model?

Google has data collection techniques currently in operation that other organizations (like the CIA) have been forced to cease doing because of privacy concerns. Being part of their business model doesn't make it any less problematic. I don't think MS did anything that wasn't part of their business model either, but you seem to have a problem with that, right?

Yes, I have specific examples. They take pictures of my property and put them on the internet without asking,

At least they're public. The government does the same thing (in higher resolution, and with much greater frequency) and keeps it a secret, why not complain about that? At least Google has open-disclosure on the matter.

they put cookies tracking usage on computers thankfully those cookies expire in 30 years, well unless you use google again, then they add 2 years to the expiry date.

ok, now I can't take you serious any more. What website doesn't use cookies nowadays? If you don't like it, you can always block cookies. I've been doing this with FF for years.

Their business model is to control the flow of all information on the internet and have access to every persons personal data. So ya I have a few issues with that.

If that is their ultimate goal then I have a problem with it as well. This is what happens when any one organization has total control over any market or market segment, and is one of the primary limitations of un-regulated capitalism.

So everything is ok as long as its part of their business model. So if someone wants to set up a camera in your house you're fine with it as long as it's part of their business model?

That's not what I'm saying. I just wanted you to provide specific examples, because up until this post that was all I could gather from your comments.

Google has data collection techniques currently in operation that other organizations (like the CIA) have been forced to cease doing because of privacy concerns.

Can you cite a source for this allegation?

Being part of their business model doesn't make it any less problematic. I don't think MS did anything that wasn't part of their business model either, but you seem to have a problem with that, right?

Again, not what I'm saying. I got the impression from your previous posts that you did not have any actual complaints to cite.

I certainly wouldn't say google is open about their data collection and while others do it, no one does it quite so much or broadly as google.

Here's an alarmist site with a bunch of links.
http://www.google-watch.org/

I don't think that Google was some evil empire that needs to be stopped, but only that they are the same as every other large corporation.

Back